Will red clawed crabs eat snails?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ChickenScratch

Reaction score
Hi,

I have two aquariums, a ten gallon goldfish tank with two goldfish, a black moor goldfish, and a black apple snail. I also have a twenty gallon tropical with 4 brilliant rasboras, 4 ghost shrimp, and too many ivory snails. I started with four big snails, and recently a bunch of baby snails appeared in my tank. I was wondering if red clawed crabs would eat some of the snails. I was thinking that I could put two crabs in the ten gallon goldfish tank and feed them some of the baby snails from my 20 gallon tank.

Do you think the crabs would eat the snails? (They are a few weeks old, about 1/4 inch) And do you think the crabs would bother the goldfish?

Thanks, Seth.

crabs will probably nip the goldfish, also when it sheds the goldfish may kill it. What temp are the goldfish kept at? these crabs aren't cold water. Red clawed crabs also prefer brackish water where they are happier and healthier, though they can live in fresh water it's not ideal.

The crabs eat anything that can't get away, though I don't think they are prolific snail eaters they aren't fussyand will probably eat some.

I keep the goldfish tank at around 70-75 degrees, and I added some aquarium salt.

red claws arent compatible with gold fish, but yeah they will eat snails. i use to take pond snails out of my 30 gallon and go dump them in my crabs tank. if they wouldnt eat them the brackish water would ;)

Slightly on topic, slightly off topic, in the early days of setting up my aquarium i wanted crabs until i heard they nip the fish... If i wanted a separate tank in the future for crabs are they compatible with any fish/ frogs/ snails, etc ??? :dunno:

theyr not compatible with bottom dwelling fish as they will attack them if they get close, same with frogs, if a carb got hold of a frog he might not eat it but could take off a leg or two.

crabs also do better in brackish water but most of the brackish fish in stores like puffers will pick at crabs and even eat them.

i've heard of people having them in their community fish tanks but ideally whats best for the crab is to have it in a species only tank where it's specialized needs can be met.

so what it comes down to is , is your need to have a crab in your fish tank greater than the need for the crab to be put in a safe environment?

Do you think if I got a new tank with a couple of crayfish the crayfish would eat the snails?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back