Wild Type Bettas...

jennybugs

Eternally pruned fingers!
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has kept or is keeping bettas other than B splendens varieties?

I've just set up a nice 25L cube tank
blu11.jpg

and would like to think about a wild type of betta such as B coccina or similar.

Anyone got any experiences or advice they can give me? :D

Currently got 3 wilds, Albimarginata, Livida and Channoide.

All like brown water so I use IAL, and oak leaves in the tank, no filtration as the water is too acidic but a water change every other week.

Did have them in a peat based tank but it was hard to clean properly and the fry used to hide in the stuff which made it hard to clean out properly so now it is a bare bottomed tank but with plenty of silk plants and wool mops so the fry can hide if need be.

Planted tank would be OK but you will need some low light plants like java moss, and anubis etc.

The Livida must like it cause after moving everyone into their new tank they started spawning and the bubble nest is floating out of their tube by at least 2 inches LOL.
DSC01348.jpg

One recommendation is that they have a tight fitting lid as they can jump.

Thanks for those tips Amerce! I've got a tight lid for it :D Would you say wild type bettas would be ok with pygmy cories?

snoopyfrench...they can be bought on EBAY but I gotmine in a swap for my babybiorb. It has built in leds and you can choose your colour. Mine happens to be blue and I have to say it doesn't actually illuminate the inside of the tank when it's dark :)

Nice tank though. I had to add the light myself.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are going to do a planted tank with peat as the base for the plants then no problem, however cause mine aren't in planted I don't have any other fish in there are I decided to make them species only so less stress on the fish.

In a planted tank the ph won't drop as much I woulnd't have though and so the cory's should be OK, but check what sort of conditions the particular dwarf species is comfortable with.

Good luck.

Just wondering if anyone here has kept or is keeping bettas other than B splendens varieties?

I've just set up a nice 25L cube tank
blu11.jpg

and would like to think about a wild type of betta such as B coccina or similar.

Anyone got any experiences or advice they can give me? :D

You should be able to obtain a number of non domestic strains of bettas in London. Try Terry Jones at Wholesale tropicals in Bethnal Green Road, opposite the PO and about 5mins walk from the tube.

Wild fish are relatively easy to keep and some are fairly easy to breed. Lots of them are mouthbrooders unlike the Splendens and their group. They normally require low Ph water, not a lot of water flow and you'll get away without a cover if you use floating plants to give them security. Plants such as water lettuce, amazon frogbit, hydroctyle sibthorpioides or at a push salvinia natans (avoid if possible)

If you struggle to get some let me know there a plenty oop north. They are generally more expensive also than cultivated bettas unless you buy championship standard fish.

You should be able to obtain a number of non domestic strains of bettas in London. Try Terry Jones at Wholesale tropicals in Bethnal Green Road, opposite the PO and about 5mins walk from the tube.
I know the 'two Terrys' and the shop very well, and trust their knowledge :lol:

I was in on Saturday picking their brains and will be back again this saturday as I knopw they have several types in there that I am interested in. I just thought it would be a good idea to get other viewpoints about my idea from non fish shop owners as well :good:

Thanks for your suggestions too :D

That is a very well decorated tank. I love it :good:

Unfortunately I have very little knowledge of wild types.... let us know what you go with and get some pics when you can!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back