Wierd Behavior and Newbie Q's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BigRed948

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently started a 10gal freshwater tank, and I'm cycling with 3 zebra Danios who I hope to keep as regular inhabitants after the cycle is over.

My first question is: How much should I feed these 3 fish? I currently give them a small pinch (thumb and forefinger squeezed with no flakes showing) of Wardley Total Color Fish food every morning and evening. They seem to eat this up in a matter of seconds (10-30sec). The Care sheet I got from the pet store says to feed them "no more than they'd eat in 3-5 min" but is generic to Freshwater Egg Layers

Secondly, There seems to be a pattern of agression by what looks like the largest female to the other two fish (I belive I have 2 females and one male and I'm classifying the females as the ones with the larger, rounder bodies with a belly). When the tank light is off, the amount of chasing and fast swimming seems to be equal to all three fish, and occurs alot less. Also the fish tend to school rather than swim individually. But with the tank light on, the largest of the two females seems to chase the other two fish like she's claiming territory of the whole tank. Also almost no schooling occurs.

I don't know if the two questions are related and the agressiveness has to do with not being fed enough.

Any and all imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Greg

I would recomend what they can eat in 2-3 minutes, still with only 3 fish you do not want to add too much, especially during cycle, it will just prolong the process.

Hi there....

... I cycled my 21gal tank with Zebra Danios.. you''ll find with only a few inhabitants there will always be a dominant fish regardless of sex! My danios did this in the beginning, they school and swim independatnly.. whatever takes their fancy, always busy lil' fish. None of my Danios ever came / come to any harm.. so I let em sort their own squabbles out.

You will find when u add new fish, the dynamic will gradually change over time. Be gentle and follow Tanked's advice, most cases of disease and stress are caused by poor parameters... which directly come from overfeeding and stocking too quickly, it can't be said enough.

It sounds like you're well on your way to becoming a good fishkeeper! :p

Thanks you two. that puts me to ease, being the 1st one of my family or friends to attempt to keep fish properly (not just buying feeder fish and dumping them in a bowl) I want to make sure I do it right.

Here's a little more info about my tank:

10 Gal

Filtered for: 14 days
Fish for: 6 days

Temp: 73f
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
KH: ~100ppm
GH: ~100ppm

Filtration:

Aquaclear Mini
Tom Dive Power 40 w/ carbon base

Heater:

Tronic 50w

Any advice, suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

-Greg

Greg,

Ditto,

Check out my post in beginner section titled Danio problems.

Jeff M.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back