Why So Much Algae On Glass Lately

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
as the question says last few weeks my tank has far too much algae on it. I cleared it with a stanley blade on sunday and today theres green algae again on the glass

as the question says last few weeks my tank has far too much algae on it. I cleared it with a stanley blade on sunday and today theres green algae again on the glass

Do you test for nitrate & phosphate?

As above check your phosphates and nitrates mate. we have high phosphates and have to clean the glass every day :(

Nitrates 4 - 5
Phosphates tested on a D&D high sensitivity test 0.003

Still needs cleaning :) I think part of mine is due to my tank getting a little Sun during the day

Nitrates 4 - 5
Phosphates tested on a D&D high sensitivity test 0.003

Still needs cleaning :) I think part of mine is due to my tank getting a little Sun during the day

See thats something I have never really understood. Everyone always says that sunlight will encourage algae growth. In a FW setup where you only have maybe 1 dim T8 tube I can understand that but on a reef setup we have full spectrum lights running from 8-12 hours a day so why would a little sunlight make things any better or worse? :)

Maybe I'm just missing something :)

Its all about light frequency I think it is the fact that sun is very strong 6500 Light (Yellow) where as we focus our light from 10,000 - 20,000 white -> Blue
Algae likes 6500 thats why its best to use a tropical tube to promote chaeto growth.

Thats my understanding but I could be wrong

I'll test the water in a bit haven;t done it for about 10 days

there is no direct sunlight but lights on for about 12 hours a day, theres 2 t5 bulbs and I think they are about 9 months old. need replacing I know but would that make algae worse?

I would say both of them could be an issue 12 hours is a long lighting window + I could be wrong but dont bulbs change there colour as they get old I know blues get less blue :p

Over time the spectrum of the bulbs can change and help algae to grow (kind of like the sunlight growing algae) and 12 hours is long. I used to have mine on for 12 hours because i had to... I've since switched to 8 hours and along with other factors it has tremendously helped preventing algae.

well since this thread I have reduced my timer lights from 12 to midnight to 4pm to midnight and there is no algae on the front glass now :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back