Why do we use Imperial units here?

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I keep translating measurements in Imperial. But.... Why?

:rofl:

Attachments

• Map.png
    Map.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 79
I keep translating measurements in Imperial. But.... Why?

:rofl:

Well, here in the UK, we officially use mainly metric measurements, but some old school members still like to use imperial measurements.

And of course our friends in the US of A generally like to use imperial measurements.

I always try to use both imperial and metric when am doing posts and things so that everyone understands rather than having to convert measurements.

Also having both measurements means there is less chance of making a mistakes in dosing or for med treatments ;)

I know it can be confusing o_O

But this Forum has a handy calculator for converting measurements for all sorts of things, I use this quite often -

Not even proper Imperial for volume but US gallons.......though the UK still uses a mishmash of units. I use Miles per Gallon when looking at my fuel consuption but buy it in litres......I also describe timber in it's imperial sizes yet get it in metric.....drive in miles but cycle in kilometers......and not lets get started on BSP..........

Yeah here in the U.K. we don’t know what to use lol I do find it strange how in USA weight is in lbs rather than stones I would never say 140 lbs I’d say 10 stone but then often use kilograms when describing the weight of an object , I guess weee just confused lol

Yep, this is a confusing country where we are trying to please all of the people all of the time with their measurements of choice! :blink:

Well, here in the UK, we officially use mainly metric measurements, but some old school members still like to use imperial measurements.

And of course our friends in the US of A generally like to use imperial measurements.

I always try to use both imperial and metric when am doing posts and things so that everyone understands rather than having to convert measurements.

Also having both measurements means there is less chance of making a mistakes in dosing or for med treatments ;)

I know it can be confusing o_O

But this Forum has a handy calculator for converting measurements for all sorts of things, I use this quite often -

Oh I was just being playful. I try to use both to get more accurate advice :)

It's same in ireland. There was nearly a revolution when all new cars had to have KM speed dials & all our road signs change. Officially we use metric but I think as an old post Colonial hangover we use both similar to UK.

I’m really bad at units if it’s small I use mm and cm if it’s big I use feet... just can’t visualise inches and meters haha

I think the hobby uses American measurements because a lot of the forums were originally set up by Americans and a lot of the ways we measure things and the tools and calculators we use are set up in that way too

The U.S. us slowly moving to metrics. We should have one universal measurement system. Us old timers get really confused but the kids are getting down.

I guess I tend to still think of my tanks as 48x15x12 inches, I can easily visualise that. What is a little mystifying to me, is the trend to talk about tank size in terms of volume, metric or imperial. The volume says nothing about the surface area, which to me, is important.

Most reactions

Back