Why are my guppies staying near the surface of the tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bfishy123

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got some guppies for my first fish tank and they spend most of their time at the surface. Is this normal? I have a filter installed and an airstone installed. The airstone seemed too powerful so I keep it on for a minute at some times during the day so I don't stress out the fish.

dont turn your air stone off turn it down or buy an adjustable one

you need that going for aeration and water movement gas exchange-its essential

also can we see a photo of the tank and the guppies?

we arn't nosey it would just help to diagnose any other/further issues

also what are the chemical parameters of your tank eg-nitrates nitrites ammonia water hardness and ph

With fish. If their mouths face upwards, they will stay on the surface. If their mouths are in the middle, they will swim in the middle. If their mouths face downwards, they will live on the bottom of the tank.
mostly the case

I think they were staying at the top as the water was very cloudy at the time so I did a water change and now they seem to be going down. Now my airstone is on 24/7.
also can we see a photo of the tank and the guppies?

we arn't nosey it would just help to diagnose any other/further issues

also what are the chemical parameters of your tank eg-nitrates nitrites ammonia water hardness and ph
Here is the photo after I did a water change. I got the fish with the tank like 5 days ago, with a heater. The filter wasn't shipped until 2 days later and at the time the water was already clouding. I did some partial water changes in between. My male had died then a female died a day later which the airstone came after. I have been feeding them twice daily with fish flakes and used a water ager with the water changes. I don't have a test kit for the chemical parameters but I can go to my local pet store to get some.

Attachments

• IMG-5883.jpg
    IMG-5883.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 80
Feed just once a day for the moment, you are doing what is known as a "fish in cycle".

You will need to do a 50% water change probably everyday also, the fish are excreting ammonia and the fish poo and uneaten food is rotting to produce more ammonia. I suspect most of the symptoms are because of that ammonia. As the tank ages and the plants grow it will start dealing with ammonia and the water changes can be weekly.

The cloudiness might be caused by too much rotting food and fish poo, the cloud is heterotrophic bacteria eating the organic molecules in the water. These bacteria are increasing the oxygen requirement of the system. You have probably done the right thing by adding an airstone and doing partial water changes to dilute the ammonia and organics.

I suggest you have a look at https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/ , and maybe some of the other posts in the "cycling" sub forum, and then you will understand why you want to know the numbers a test kit will tell you.

For some of us weirdoes testing is part of the fun, but it's only really helpful in situations such as yours and when doing a "fish-less cycle" to be honest.

Simply putting some fish in a tank full of water and a plastic plant, will result fairly quickly in dead and dying fish. :(

@Myraan 's post is probably the most useful to you right now, although there's no mention of live plants.
Live plants in your tank, even though you have no substrate, will still improve your water and help to process the fish waste.
There are plenty of references to fast growing plants, which are what you need, in this Forum.

I think they were staying at the top as the water was very cloudy at the time so I did a water change and now they seem to be going down. Now my airstone is on 24/7.

Here is the photo after I did a water change. I got the fish with the tank like 5 days ago, with a heater. The filter wasn't shipped until 2 days later and at the time the water was already clouding. I did some partial water changes in between. My male had died then a female died a day later which the airstone came after. I have been feeding them twice daily with fish flakes and used a water ager with the water changes. I don't have a test kit for the chemical parameters but I can go to my local pet store to get some.
So wait... Let me get this straight... You got fish in the tank before you even had a filter???

Also real quick, whats the tank size?

Feed just once a day for the moment, you are doing what is known as a "fish in cycle".

You will need to do a 50% water change probably everyday also, the fish are excreting ammonia and the fish poo and uneaten food is rotting to produce more ammonia. I suspect most of the symptoms are because of that ammonia. As the tank ages and the plants grow it will start dealing with ammonia and the water changes can be weekly.

The cloudiness might be caused by too much rotting food and fish poo, the cloud is heterotrophic bacteria eating the organic molecules in the water. These bacteria are increasing the oxygen requirement of the system. You have probably done the right thing by adding an airstone and doing partial water changes to dilute the ammonia and organics.

I suggest you have a look at https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/ , and maybe some of the other posts in the "cycling" sub forum, and then you will understand why you want to know the numbers a test kit will tell you.

For some of us weirdoes testing is part of the fun, but it's only really helpful in situations such as yours and when doing a "fish-less cycle" to be honest.
Thanks for the information, I'll get a test kit and try to cycle my tank.

More live plants in that tank would be a great idea to speed up the cycle
Simply putting some fish in a tank full of water and a plastic plant, will result fairly quickly in dead and dying fish. :(

@Myraan 's post is probably the most useful to you right now, although there's no mention of live plants.
Live plants in your tank, even though you have no substrate, will still improve your water and help to process the fish waste.
There are plenty of references to fast growing plants, which are what you need, in this Forum.
I'll try and see if anyone sells live plants for fish tanks in my area.
So wait... Let me get this straight... You got fish in the tank before you even had a filter???
Also real quick, whats the tank size?
Yes, that was a big mistake for me, my tank is around 12L.

Yes, that was a big mistake for me, my tank is around 12L.
That's too small really for "some guppies". It might be fine biologically for 1 or 2 guppies, but not a lot of swimming space.

Only really big enough for shrimp or a single Betta (and son here would say too small for the Betta). If you meant 12 gallons you are probably fine, but 12L is only like 3 gallons

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back