FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

can you add your reasons why you think this

• shops fault

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • customers fault

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's an absolute no-brainer... the customer was STUPID and completely at fault. It doesn't matter if a fish costs $65 or $0.65 - if you are going to buy a fish, you research it. As much as we'd like an LFS to educate the customer about the fish they are buying - it's the customer's duty as a responsible pet-owner to step up and ask what to feed the fish, what are the ideal parameters, any special requirements, etc. Sometimes staff will tell people stuff and they just nod >> someone bought a yellow lab and mollies to stick in the same tank - just as big a disaster as a saltwater fish in a fresh-water tank... It escapes me why people aren't held liable for their stupidity... the legal system states that "ignorance of the law is not a valid defence" - should that apply here too...

but what about the people that dont even know water has parameters? what about the people who are so new to keeping fish they dont realise some need different water conditions etc? if people dont realise they arent going to research.

as much as i care abnout the customer i also care about the animals. this is the bottom line in thsi discussion. do we say, ok this person should have done their homework and should know or should we say 'i dont want this fish or whatever animal, to go to a place where it may just die'. thats what it should be about. the animals welfare is most important and checking that they are going to be happy and healthy is important otherwise when they take that animal home and it gets sick or dies, they blame the shop. this may be blind blame but all the people they are going to whinge to dont know that. small business relies on word of mouth and you just cant do anything that would allow that bad word of mouth to start spreading.

p.s. i do believe that when you sell something of any nature it is your responsibility is the sales person to ensure correct use/care when using/keeping anything you sell them

I'm gonna have to go with customers fault.
We had gotten a panda cory before I did any research on it... so didn't know they prefered cooler temps and weren't that hardy and it ended up dieing b/c of MY lack of knowledge about it.

I'm gonna have to go with customers fault.
We had gotten a panda cory before I did any research on it... so didn't know they prefered cooler temps and weren't that hardy and it ended up dieing b/c of MY lack of knowledge about it.

maybe you should have researched but i feel that if you have something like a panda cory who has diff stats to the other corys then you should mention it. i do when people are looking at pandas i just mention that unless they have a cool water tank they wont survive etc it only takes a few seconds and people generally appreciate being told. in one case someone wanted one so bad that came back the next day and bought a new tank for a cold water set up. so because i tld them that i ended up with another sale. wasnt my intention but it worked that way

this isnt directed at anyone in particular, but its funny how sooo many people whinge and moan about lfs' etc and now i seem to be the only one thinking there should be any responsibility with the lfs. i used to be defending them against people and now the opposite is happening hehe

I know that ultimately it is the customers fault, but a lot of customers won't change. I don't *blame* the LFS, but I feel that they should ask questions - after all, it's *lives* that are at stake.

Yes, UK pet owners now have a duty of care...but can anyone honestly see an RSPCA inspector chasing up somebody who killed their fish through neglect? I certainly can't! :lol:

If LFS don't ask questions, all it will mean is that the stupid people will have no barrier to buying fish...equalling many un-necessary deaths.

I know how to keep my fish, but I actually get annoyed if the LFS staff don't ask me questions about my tank when I buy a fish.
Otherwise, how are they to know that I know what i'm doing? I could be any imbecile who just got a plastic bowl from Argos, and want 'some of them pretty neon fish' to go in it. Yes, it's the customers fault for not researching, but if the fish dies it doesn't matter to them - it was only 90p. The number of fish that might die before somebody finally questions them doesn't really bear thinking about...

It makes me sad that they hand me over a fish without even caring about where it is going. Shops that don't ask questions don't get my custom!

Of course, it would be brilliant if we were in a situation where LFS didn't HAVE to give advice, because everybody researched first. But unfortunately it just won't happen in the near future :(

I think ultimately, in an IDEAL world it would be the customer's responsibilty.

However, we all know that there are many many fishkeepers who don't actually know the first thing about keeping fish and don't WANT to research. They just want a pretty tank with pretty fish.

If the LFS doesn't try and educate these people to a point, then far far too many fish will die as a result. And if that happens....well, fishkeeping as a hobby will end up under threat. PETA, Animal Aid, even the RSPCA will begin to point out that (*hypothetical statistic alert*) 80% of all fish sold from aquatics shops die within a week...it wouldn't be acceptable if they were puppies, etc. etc.

To be quite honest, I would hate the thought of thousands of fish needlessly dying, when all the shopkeep had to do was ask a couple of questions to prevent the sale.

here here :good:

Oh, come on. The LFS saying 'You know this needs SW, right?' is pretty much on-bar with 'You know this needs water, right?' It's a stupid question to ask. And I'm slightly puzzled as to why anyone that thick would want to spend £65 on a single fish...

i know im replying a lot but this is a rather interesting conversation to say the least. once again i find fault with this comment. ill tell you why. last monday a guy came into the shop looking to buy a set up with the tank being around 40L and freshwater. we were talking for a while picking out filters and heaters etc and then i asked him what kind of fish he was going to keep in there. his response: sea horses and a FEW anemones. the tank he had chosen was 36L. his next question: 'they will be ok in this tank wont they? i mean they dont NEED SW do they?' now to anyone here this is absolutely ridiculous but thing is, people do think this way sometimes. they just dont get it. i honestly cant understand how anyone who says the love fish or any animal could not be on the side of educating and ensuring quality of life. i know there is only so much we can ensure but we do what we can not what we can be bothered doing. we cant throw our hands up and say 'meh, tis not up to me, they should know what they are doing!' its like taking someone sky diving and just pushing them out of the plane because they SHOULD have researched and prepared for the jump. trust me, there is nothing to prepare someone for jumping out of a plane so the first time, you have guidance. maybe the analogy is a little out there but in reality we are still talking about life. ALL life is precious and as the species that has the ability to look after them, we should.

Are the posters above really indicating that the lfs should tell you whether every single fish is FW or SW?

"You do know that neons don't go in reef tanks, don't you?"

"This porcupinefish is a SW fish, did you know?"

I really hope we never end up in a society where we take so little responsibility for our own actions that the above takes place. What next?

"You know these pictus can't live in your deep fat fryer, yeah?"

For one.. I brought home a brackish water fish and put it in a tank without knowing it needed some salt.

Brackish fish are entirely different as they are a type of fish that many lfs simply do not understand, and as such cannot give accurate advice on. We are very fortunate to have the few experts on brackish fish we have on this forum. Were it not for those like nmonks and CFC then many of us would have a very poor understanding on the needs and requirements of BW fish indeed.

you dont need to say something along those lines to find out. you can be much more subtle. i usually engage them in conversation and if they have fish it doesnt take long for them to start bragging about them lol then you know they are experienced. so if in conversation you ask the customer what lovely fish that already have and they dont have any they will say so and you know its time to pull out the knowledge and questions part of your brain.

i think to be indicating such ridiculous questions even when trying to make a point sounds silly. pictus in a fryer??? please, is anyone really going to ask that?

it is true that some info you just cant find about certain fish like the brackish thing and not everyone realises there are forums where they can go.

Ex: If i buy a camera, and it dosent say that you cant keep it by fire, and the consumer does, then it explodes. How was the consumer at fault, when they didnt know?

That' just plain stupidity there... its aong the lines of that woman sueing McDonalds because the coffe cup didn't say it was hot and she burnt herself. So now everyone has to put "Caution, contains hot contents" o ntheir cups. Like floors slippery when wet signs are a joke... what's the floor supposed ot be when wet, sticky? To me ignorance is not an excuse to common sense. That's the problem in the world, no on uses their common sense anymore. If o id somehiogn that stupid, then you deserve ot suffer the conequences.

How is it the lfs fault that the customer didn't know the difference between a FW and SW fish? You can clearly tell th difference. Most of the time they are kept in different looking tank setups i nthe lfs. The fish of each type of water look nothing laike. You can grab any kid on the street that ahsseen Finding Nemo (which is almost everyone, including their parents) show them a tang and the ywill say Dori! And know they go in the sea not the rivers.

C'mon, the customer acted like they knew, the store assumed they did and the customer were idiots. Its that simple. Google is a very easy tool t use. All the peopel had ot do is ask if they wouldhold it until later that day, most would. Go home research the fish. Oh, google said these are marine... call the lfs and say sorry we can't take it. End of story.

These people need ot learn to take responsibility for their atons an stop pointing the blame elsewhere. Ive made my mistakes in fishkeeping but I don't blame the lfs I got the fish from, I didn' do the necessary research. Take responsibility for your own actions. It's that simple...

First of all, i dont like being called stupid, exspecially when i am not. Second of all, the coffe, and wet floor sign has nothing to relate with my example!!!!And third of all, if they are a noob, how are they to know the difference!!!!!!!!!Think befroe you speak(type) next time b***h.

hehehehehe good one!! i think there is way too much people calling people stupid or running others down on here. glad someone has the gusto to say something. however this time i do think it wasnt directed at you. will be corrected gladly if im wrong :)

Ex: If i buy a camera, and it dosent say that you cant keep it by fire, and the consumer does, then it explodes. How was the consumer at fault, when they didnt know?

That' just plain stupidity there... its aong the lines of that woman sueing McDonalds because the coffe cup didn't say it was hot and she burnt herself. So now everyone has to put "Caution, contains hot contents" o ntheir cups. Like floors slippery when wet signs are a joke... what's the floor supposed ot be when wet, sticky? To me ignorance is not an excuse to common sense. That's the problem in the world, no on uses their common sense anymore. If o id somehiogn that stupid, then you deserve ot suffer the conequences.

How is it the lfs fault that the customer didn't know the difference between a FW and SW fish? You can clearly tell th difference. Most of the time they are kept in different looking tank setups i nthe lfs. The fish of each type of water look nothing laike. You can grab any kid on the street that ahsseen Finding Nemo (which is almost everyone, including their parents) show them a tang and the ywill say Dori! And know they go in the sea not the rivers.

C'mon, the customer acted like they knew, the store assumed they did and the customer were idiots. Its that simple. Google is a very easy tool t use. All the peopel had ot do is ask if they wouldhold it until later that day, most would. Go home research the fish. Oh, google said these are marine... call the lfs and say sorry we can't take it. End of story.

These people need ot learn to take responsibility for their atons an stop pointing the blame elsewhere. Ive made my mistakes in fishkeeping but I don't blame the lfs I got the fish from, I didn' do the necessary research. Take responsibility for your own actions. It's that simple...

First of all, i dont like being called stupid, exspecially when i am not. Second of all, the coffe, and wet floor sign has nothing to relate with my example!!!!And third of all, if they are a noob, how are they to know the difference!!!!!!!!!Think befroe you speak(type) next time b***h.

hehehehehe good one!! i think there is way too much people calling people stupid or running others down on here. glad someone has the gusto to say something. however this time i do think it wasnt directed at you. will be corrected gladly if im wrong :)

No it wasn't directed towards them... here's my breakdown of their response...

A ) When di I ever say you were stupid? I said that if warnings like those need to be there, that's stupid. Don't jump to conclusions. You know the old saying about assumptions don't you?

B ) I was using them how whiny people are in this world and that people need to think on their owns and not be told everythingand use a little common sense. Take responsibility for your poor chooice and not blame other people.

C ) Umm... anybody can tlel the difference. When I didn't know aobut fish or even keep them, I was able totell the difference between a marine and a FW species. Its common knowledge and you don't need otknow much about fish to know that.

D ) That last part was completely rude and unnecessary. Its amazing how brave someone is on the other side of the computer screen. Its clear that you didn't think when you typed your response, but instead misinterpreted and let anger control your posting.

I took offense to them being blinded and not reading the entire context of the post. Never, in any part of my response did I call the poster stupid, just that if we come to live in a world where common sense is not used, but instead everyone must be babied, then I feel sorry for this planet and any future inhabitants that use that common sense.

A ) When di I ever say you were stupid? I said that if warnings like those need to be there, that's stupid. Don't jump to conclusions. You know the old saying about assumptions don't you?

B ) I was using them how whiny people are in this world and that people need to think on their owns and not be told everythingand use a little common sense. Take responsibility for your poor chooice and not blame other people.

C ) Umm... anybody can tlel the difference. When I didn't know aobut fish or even keep them, I was able totell the difference between a marine and a FW species. Its common knowledge and you don't need otknow much about fish to know that.

D ) That last part was completely rude and unnecessary. Its amazing how brave someone is on the other side of the computer screen. Its clear that you didn't think when you typed your response, but instead misinterpreted and let anger control your posting.

I took offense to them being blinded and not reading the entire context of the post. Never, in any part of my response did I call the poster stupid, just that if we come to live in a world where common sense is not used, but instead everyone must be babied, then I feel sorry for this planet and any future inhabitants that use that common sense.

Sorry, I took offense, when I debate, sometimes get excited about it, and when i see somthing negative I blow up. I still think it was the store's fault, but it also the customers fault, everytiem I get a fish, I reserch it first, and if I havent, I ask my good friend( about everyone there) about it, and if my tank is suitable, and they always ask about my tank to make sure I havent added anything bad. Also, here is another possiblity to take in play here, what if the owners knew all about the fish, and knew it was saltwater?, and lets say they ignore this and decide to think that since there just fish they cant really have a difference between fresh and salt? Becasue it would have to take alot on reserch to fool such a respected, and knowlable dealer, wouldnt it?So if they decided to put it in the fresh tank, and it is still alive for a while, they think, HA, I knew there wasnt a difference!!!But then it dies, and they decide that they want there money back, and say that they didnt know, take that into consideration, and then post again.

I hate these debates..

breakpc2pe4.gif

I voted that it is the purchasers fault.

i wonder how easily this could've been avoided if the shop had clear labels on their tanks/areas (if indeed they didn't have these already) - say a freshwater sign for their freshwater room/tanks and one for their saltwater, etc - that's what most fish shops have that i've been to. maybe it's not all down on the lfs, although i feel a large part of it is, but how easily would that have solved things? others have said how unrealistic it is for staff to vet each sale, they wouldn't have had to this way. :unsure:

:nod: :nod:

it's really not difficult to put a sign up over the different areas saying marine, tropical or coldwater or even go further and seperate and label up cichlids, standard community fish, etc

it's the one thing i do find fault with my favourite lfs, all they ever have on the tanks is the common name (occasionally the scientific name as well) and a price. While they will always give you info and do question customers I think it would be better if they had more info readily available. Doesn't take much just the basic classification (i.e. marine, coldwater, trops) the family, the max adult size and min tank size needed, ok so you know you need to know more than that but it can give the customers a little bit of an idea at least.

I would not expect to be asked by those staff if my tanks were suitable as they know me and my tanks, they at least have a good idea what fish I have and my ability to keep them. If I walked into a new shop and spoke to someone I'd never met before I'd expect a few basic questions about my set up.

Presumably the shop know (think they know) about you from what you told them. You could be lying. My understanding about the couple in the article is that they managed to answer the questions that were put to them in such a manner as to convince the shop that they were experienced fishkeepers. After all, lfs have no option but to judge people from what they say: they can't go round and inspect people's homes, like the RSPCA or an adoption agency would do.

yes i could well be lying, however i think there's a fundamental difference between the customers deliberately misleading the lfs and the lfs not asking any questions to determine the customers level of knowledge. as me and andy said before we were primarily debating the responsibilities in more general terms than relating to this specific example. I said earlier in the post that if the customers in this case did deliberatley mislead the lfs then of course it is they're own silly fault.

Two things I've been thinking abut throughout this debate is;

1) Alot of you have said the couple should have researched on the net, how do we know they have the internet? I know most people do / have access to it but some people(esp. old people) don't. Sure you can research in books but if they didn't know it was a SW fish then I'm sure they won't know which books to read. For example when I was younger(12ish) I had a 2ft tank with 4 fancy goldfish, basic filtration and knew nothing about water changes, nitrate, ammonia etc, all I knew was that fish lived in water and needed a filter. I should have researched, but how can you research if you don't know you need to IYSWIM.

2) The fish shop in question had looked after the fish for a while and it had become a 'pet' to them, so why would they not make 100% sure that it was going to a good home? If you breed fish then you would make sure your fry were going to good homes but if you were giving up a favourite fish who you'd looked after for a long time you'd make sure it was getting an excellent home because you care about.

I think the blame is mostly with the customer but the lfs is not totally blameless, sure they might have thought the couple knew what they were doing but what questions were asked? It's very easy to blag your way into people thinking you know what your talking about, esp. if that person is going to make a profit out of it. If you are blagging then by someone asking the right questions your lies will start to unravel.

An example of this is when my husband's friend asked me to build him a computer, I'd done this all of once before, I've modified a few of mine over the years but the only one I've built from scratch is the one I have now and my dad half instructed me with that(he builds them all the time). I quite blatantly lied and made out I'd been doing it for years so he was totally confident I knew what I was doing, I blagged and came out with a load of rubbish about motherboards, hardrives etc I should put into it, he looked totally bewildered but confident I knew what I was doing. Thankfully his PC is still going strong and he says he might get me to build another one for one of his relatives.

Anyway my point is that yes the customer should have researched, if they had the means to do so and they shouldn't have lied about knowing what they were doing but the lfs should have been more careful and asked very specific questions seeing as it was a a favourite of theirs. If it was just a case of someone went in bought it and put it into FW and it died then I'd say it was 99% customer fault and the shop should have checked but that's not up to them as per the new law. The difference in this instance is that the lfs supposedly cared about this fish and yet IMO didn't ask enough / the right questions to ensure it would be getting the correct care.

when I debate, sometimes get excited about it, and when i see somthing negative I blow up.

hehe thats so me :

its funny how sooo many people whinge and moan about lfs' etc and now i seem to be the only one thinking there should be any responsibility with the lfs. i used to be defending them against people and now the opposite is happening hehe
That is because there are more of the mature posters here who realise that no lfs is perfect and there is a responsibility on the owner to acquire the correct information.

Most people who really ***** and moan about lfs are those that have learnt a little from this forum and suddenly consider themselves fishkeeping experts because they can describe a fishless cycle that the lfs who has been running for 30 years has never heard of, or had need for.

And the Animal Welfare Act 2006 says nothing about vendors and their actions at the point of sale, so you would, in fact, be free of culpability shoulf you (as an lfs) sell a fish to someone who knows nothing about it without first checking on them.

The best thing for me here, is that your views are very much in the minority, meaning most of the people here are of the opinion it is for the purchaser to research if the fish si appropriate and what standard fo care it needs. If the forum teaches nothing else, it has succeeded.

its funny how sooo many people whinge and moan about lfs' etc and now i seem to be the only one thinking there should be any responsibility with the lfs. i used to be defending them against people and now the opposite is happening hehe
That is because there are more of the mature posters here who realise that no lfs is perfect and there is a responsibility on the owner to acquire the correct information.

Most people who really ***** and moan about lfs are those that have learnt a little from this forum and suddenly consider themselves fishkeeping experts because they can describe a fishless cycle that the lfs who has been running for 30 years has never heard of, or had need for.

And the Animal Welfare Act 2006 says nothing about vendors and their actions at the point of sale, so you would, in fact, be free of culpability shoulf you (as an lfs) sell a fish to someone who knows nothing about it without first checking on them.

The best thing for me here, is that your views are very much in the minority, meaning most of the people here are of the opinion it is for the purchaser to research if the fish si appropriate and what standard fo care it needs. If the forum teaches nothing else, it has succeeded.

i never said thought that i thought it was 100% the lfs fault. i said i believe its a shared responsibility when buying a pet. i have also said that a person needs to research, if they indeed realise they even have to. this is where talking to them and educating them comes into it

its not about the law as to why i feel this way...its my conscience. i love every little fish that leaves that store and i want to know the best possible scenario will come about for both fish and owner. plus in the meantime i have taught that person a little more and possibly saved some lives along the way.

i may be of the minority with regards to my opinion but that doesnt mean i am wrong. just means i approach my job in a different manner and i believe you just never can assume anything

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back