• shops fault

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • customers fault

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thegnu

Fishaholic
Reaction score
in this months PFK (Practical Fishkeeping is a monthly magazine for anyone who doesn't know) they ran a story of a LFS who sell both salt and freshwater fish. in one of their tanks they had a Regal Tang that they had looked after for six months, had grown to 6" and had become very tame and a bit of a pet to the shops staff, on sale for £65.00. a couple bought the fish but 24 hours later returned the fish dead. turns out they didn't know it was a marine fish and had put it in to a freshwater set up.

I think it's a bit of both to be honest.
Our lfs always ask customers what tank, what size tank etc. the fish are going in to before they make a sale. The shop perhaps should of done the same.
On the other hand, if the couple are prepared to spend £65 on a fish, then they would have been wise to research it first.

I agree with what stang1 has said.
Research fish for yourself.

I reckon it is a bit of both but more towards the shop because the tank should have at least mentioned that it was a marine setup and the store rep shouldve asked what setup they had also they should have asked what kind of fish they wanted.

not read it so can't speak with any authority without hearing the full story however it's got to be a bit of both.

the customer has a responsibility to research before they buy, the shop has the responsibility to check the customer has a suitable tank.

poor angel

I reckon it is a bit of both but more towards the shop because the tank should have at least mentioned that it was a marine setup and the store rep shouldve asked what setup they had also they should have asked what kind of fish they wanted.
Not necessarily. This is a shop, not a school.

If I go into a car dealership, they don't first ask me to make sure I don't want a motorbike before selling me the car I want. It is taken as given that you are able to do some research yourself and know what you want. They also don't ask me to make sure my drive/garage is big enough to accomodate the car.

Last time I bought some light bulbs they didn't ask me to make sure I really did want bayonet fitting.

It only seems to be fish stores that we bemoan for their lack of giving us all the information and making us undergo the Spanish Inquisition before they offer to sell us anything. But then if one of the stores says something that is a little different to what people on the hyperweb say, loads of members here will jump on the board and moan about their "stupid lfs".

You are buying an animal? You are responsible for it, therefore you are responsible for researchig to make sure it is suitable.

I'd say both were at fault but the shop more so, as with it being a favourite of the employees, surely they would have asked alot of questions about the tank setup if they were at all concerned with it's welfare.

customers fault, as a pet owner (doesnt matter what) its your responsibility to look and care for the pet.
poor fish though thats the one the suffered no matter whos fault it is. :(

Not necessarily. This is a shop, not a school.

If I go into a car dealership, they don't first ask me to make sure I don't want a motorbike before selling me the car I want. It is taken as given that you are able to do some research yourself and know what you want. They also don't ask me to make sure my drive/garage is big enough to accomodate the car.

Last time I bought some light bulbs they didn't ask me to make sure I really did want bayonet fitting.

It only seems to be fish stores that we bemoan for their lack of giving us all the information and making us undergo the Spanish Inquisition before they offer to sell us anything. But then if one of the stores says something that is a little different to what people on the hyperweb say, loads of members here will jump on the board and moan about their "stupid lfs".

You are buying an animal? You are responsible for it, therefore you are responsible for researchig to make sure it is suitable.

while i do agree with that particularly the last sentance lfs's should be keyed up enough to know that plenty of people come in not knowing what the fish are and impulse buying.

it is different to buying a lightbulb or a car because we are dealing with a life not just a product. buying/selling any living thing is different to buying and selling other products. I don't think either of those comparisons stands up I'm afraid.

personally i much prefer it if i get the spanish inquisition when buying fish, mostly because i like comfy chairs ;) , but also because I know I am only human, I can make a mistake or get wrong information and it gives a chance to double check my info is correct. also it shows me the lfs is good as they will check with other customers who may be less clued up than i am.

I read the story, and was shocked that they (the customers) asked a lot of questions - like was it eating etc. So the shop obviously thought they new what the fish was! :sad:

£65 is a lot to spend on a fish without reading up on it.
Well, if the customers ask what the fish eats, obviously they dont know much. I think Its a bit of both, but would blame the shop more as they should ensure that all their fish are going to a happy home/tank!

It's the customers fault....does the tv shop ask me if I have a spare socket at home when I buy a tv, or if I have an ariel lead...of course not it's up to me to do my research.
And I don't see why i should have to spend twice as long in a fish shop on a saturday afternoon because the shop staff have to ask everyone buying fish how big their tank is, what else they have in the tank, etc etc...

People should take responsiblity for their own stuff...end of.

We seem to be living more and more in a society where every one wants to blame someone else for their own problems.

If you buy almost anything else in life...it's a case of buyer beware. As far as the police go, it's a case of ignorance is no excuse..so why do people seem to think fish shops have to take all the reponsiblity?...With the inventions of books and the internet there's no excuse for not knowing about something before you buy it. So take responsiblity for your own problems rather than trying to blame someone else...

Customers fault, obviously a 'numpty' for want of a better word.

Im with Darkstar, he articulates it better than i can be bothered to! :)

It's the customers fault....does the tv shop ask me if I have a spare socket at home when I buy a tv, or if I have an ariel lead...of course not it's up to me to do my research.
And I don't see why i should have to spend twice as long in a fish shop on a saturday afternoon because the shop staff have to ask everyone buying fish how big their tank is, what else they have in the tank, etc etc...

People should take responsiblity for their own stuff...end of.

We seem to be living more and more in a society where every one wants to blame someone else for their own problems.

If you buy almost anything else in life...it's a case of buyer beware. As far as the police go, it's a case of ignorance is no excuse..so why do people seem to think fish shops have to take all the reponsiblity?...With the inventions of books and the internet there's no excuse for not knowing about something before you buy it. So take responsiblity for your own problems rather than trying to blame someone else...

while i do agree that it is mostly the customers fault i do think the lfs had some role to play in it.

it is buyer beware for virtually all products, however my point is that if you buy any animal or go to a rescue centre to adopt one there will be all sorts of checks made and discussions had to ensure that you know how to care for it properly, in a lot of cases you will be refused a sale if you don't. fish should be no different, they are just as deserving of this attention as a cat/dog. You should be prepared to wait and to be asked these questions, taking on a responsibility for a living animal should not be rushed

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back