🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

can you add your reasons why you think this

• shops fault

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • customers fault

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Two things I've been thinking abut throughout this debate is;

1) Alot of you have said the couple should have researched on the net, how do we know they have the internet? I know most people do / have access to it but some people(esp. old people) don't. Sure you can research in books but if they didn't know it was a SW fish then I'm sure they won't know which books to read. For example when I was younger(12ish) I had a 2ft tank with 4 fancy goldfish, basic filtration and knew nothing about water changes, nitrate, ammonia etc, all I knew was that fish lived in water and needed a filter. I should have researched, but how can you research if you don't know you need to IYSWIM.

2) The fish shop in question had looked after the fish for a while and it had become a 'pet' to them, so why would they not make 100% sure that it was going to a good home? If you breed fish then you would make sure your fry were going to good homes but if you were giving up a favourite fish who you'd looked after for a long time you'd make sure it was getting an excellent home because you care about.

I think the blame is mostly with the customer but the lfs is not totally blameless, sure they might have thought the couple knew what they were doing but what questions were asked? It's very easy to blag your way into people thinking you know what your talking about, esp. if that person is going to make a profit out of it. If you are blagging then by someone asking the right questions your lies will start to unravel.

An example of this is when my husband's friend asked me to build him a computer, I'd done this all of once before, I've modified a few of mine over the years but the only one I've built from scratch is the one I have now and my dad half instructed me with that(he builds them all the time). I quite blatantly lied and made out I'd been doing it for years so he was totally confident I knew what I was doing, I blagged and came out with a load of rubbish about motherboards, hardrives etc I should put into it, he looked totally bewildered but confident I knew what I was doing. Thankfully his PC is still going strong and he says he might get me to build another one for one of his relatives.

Anyway my point is that yes the customer should have researched, if they had the means to do so and they shouldn't have lied about knowing what they were doing but the lfs should have been more careful and asked very specific questions seeing as it was a a favourite of theirs. If it was just a case of someone went in bought it and put it into FW and it died then I'd say it was 99% customer fault and the shop should have checked but that's not up to them as per the new law. The difference in this instance is that the lfs supposedly cared about this fish and yet IMO didn't ask enough / the right questions to ensure it would be getting the correct care.
:nod:

Just to point out...

Can we please stop with the ridiculously long quotes.... It's unneeded and gets very irritating....

Just to point out...

Can we please stop with the ridiculously long quotes.... It's unneeded and gets very irritating....
Should we say ridiculously long quotes without a proper answer?

:)

:)

:unsure:

:shifty:

:hyper:

:shout:

Shops fault - should have tanks marked with tropical and marine fish
Customers fault for not asking enough questions about caring for the fish.
We can't hold LFS responsible for everything that goes wrong and when buying fish it is up to the customer to ask the q's about the fish they want.

I am sure they have learnt something out of this blunder

Poor Fish
RIP

A lot of people mention fish labelling, but how do you know what the labelling was like? The shop wasn't named, so you have no idea. Would the customer even have noticed of cared? After all, P@H size labels all the fish, but that doesn't exactly stop people buying silver sharks for their 10g community.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back