Which Tank For Dwarf Frogs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nikkifro8994

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello. I definitely want to get 3 dwarf frogs. But Which tank should I buy? I am looking at 3-5 gallon tanks. But I'm on a budget. I have found 3 tanks that I can afford. Which should I get?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-gal-Tank-Aquarium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/14660258
[font="Verdana][left][size="2"]Hawkeye 5 gallon Tank:[/size][/left]
Full hood, compact fluorescent light, power filter and cartridge included
Attractive semi-hexagon shaped aquarium
Acrylic construction offers leak proof durability
Fluorescent hood illuminates the fish tank
[/font]
[font="Verdana][size="2"] [/size][/font]​
5 Gallons
Mini Bow Quiet Flow Filter and Cartridge
Aquarium Light Hood with Bulb
Water Conditioner
Goldfish Flakes
Aquarium Set-up and Care Guide
3 Gallon Capacity
Curved front adds additional depth and beauty to the aquarium
Environmentally-friendly 16-LED light creates a soft shimmer in the water and is durable and easy to use
Whisper Filtration keeps water crystal clear and healthy
Includes seamless tanks, a clear plastic cover, Tetra Whisper® Internal Filtration
LED Lighting

Do I need a heater? The water in my other tanks stays around 75 all day long. I have one for a 10 gallon tank but I haven't ever needed it
What type of substrate do I need? Gravel or sand?
Any specific plants or decor?
Do I need anything else in my setup?
I want to have everything when I start cycling.

Thanks so much! and Merry Christmas!
Nikki

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi,

I posted on your other thread about a few of these questions - -

for each ADF, you need 2.5 gallons, so the three gallon option is out and if you want 3 ADF you need more than a 5 gallon tank.

ADF are primarly bottom dwellers...so you want a tank that has as much floor space as possible....this means rectangular or bowfront tanks are your best option. Skip the hexagon/pentagons/any "agons" are not a good choice because these focus on height, not length.

For substrate - sand or bare bottom is best. Gravel can be rough for them to land on and their food often gets trapped between them, quickly fouling the water. Their water should be a constant 77-80*F so yes, a heater is needed. You want to have lots of hiding places and silk plants are the easiest plant to keep with them. Avoid plastic because the rough edges can tear the webbing between their toes. These are a very skittish species and the more hiding places, the more comfortable they will feel.

Do I need to cycle the tank if I'm only keeping frogs? I have checked various (reliable) sites. Some say yes and others say no. Would the frogs be sensitive to the ammonia and nitrite levels?
They also seem to have conflicting opinions on filtration. Some say a filter is not necessary, others say you need double filtration. What do I really need?
2 sites said that if I have a male and female together, they will breed. I would rather not raise tadpoles. How do I keep them from breeding?
Is there a way to determine their sex before I buy them? That way I can get the same sex and wont have to worry about babies.

Sorry for all of the questions. I've never had a frog before and want to have everything I need before I buy one that I can't take care of.
Thanks!
Nikki

Do I need to cycle the tank if I'm only keeping frogs? I have checked various (reliable) sites. Some say yes and others say no. Would the frogs be sensitive to the ammonia and nitrite levels?
They also seem to have conflicting opinions on filtration. Some say a filter is not necessary, others say you need double filtration. What do I really need?
2 sites said that if I have a male and female together, they will breed. I would rather not raise tadpoles. How do I keep them from breeding?
Is there a way to determine their sex before I buy them? That way I can get the same sex and wont have to worry about babies.

Sorry for all of the questions. I've never had a frog before and want to have everything I need before I buy one that I can't take care of.
Thanks!
Nikki

Yes, you need to cycle and you need a filter. Double filtration is not necessary, but at least adequate filtratinon is needed.
As for identifying gender - the males have a small pimple-looking gland behind their front arms in the armpit region. The gland can be any color between white/gray/pink. The females have a small cloaca on their rump that looks like a little tail/bump and this is used for passing eggs. When they are mature, the females are much plumper than the males.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back