When I Fall In Love With Samurai's Ladies!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chanin

Reaction score
It was last weekend that I found a school of these delicate Samurai Gourami
swimming in a tropicla fish shop's tank at Chatuchak (or JJ)Fish Market,
our well-known biggest tropical fish market in Bangkok, my capital city where I live.

IMG_9755.jpg

At first glance I thought they were Chocolate Gourami, as they looked like
a slimmer Chocolate Gourami that I used to see, but with some pale vertical red-brown stripes.

Though, I'd never seen or heard of them before, but I've been interested in labyrinth fish
since I start my tanks months ago, so I brought 14 of them back to home.

IMG_9758.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

Fortunately, I have already set up a small tank for my peat swamp dweller, Parosphromenus paludicola that need low pH, soft water.

Parosphromenus_2.jpg

So, I just introduce my new school of plain brownish green Gourami to the tank.

IMG_9787.jpg

Samurai_10.jpg

It just an hour that I left them for lunch, when I came back! :hyper:
What I saw in my tank was the most beautiful creature swimming among aquatic plants.

Those brown striped female, that I thought male! turn to be scarlet fish with dark bands.

Samurai_Gourami_05.jpg

Samurai_Gourami_06.jpg

Samurai_Gourami_10.jpg

Samurai_Gourami_13.jpg

What a cute fish! I do really love them.

Samurai_Gourami_39.jpg

Male ! :rolleyes:

Samurai_Gourami_20.jpg

Samurai_14.jpg

Some variations on females color.

Samurai_34.jpg

Samurai_40.jpg

Samurai_Gourami_02.jpg

Samurai_42.jpg

Females seem to be more aggresive than males.

Samurai_Gourami_33.jpg

She acts as the alpha queen.

Samurai_Gourami_23.jpg

Fighting each other for her harem guys!

Samurai_Gourami_45.jpg

Samurai_Gourami_44.jpg

These cute Gourami prefer live and frozen : rotifer and bloodworm.

Samurai_Gourami_09.jpg

Samurai_Gourami_41.jpg

Samurai_Gourami_47.jpg

As I said Chanin......They are fantastic fish!..... probably the most beautiful freshwater I've yet seen..... but I've never before seen them..... it'll be a millenium before those will be available in South Africa!.....

Chanin.... since your post count is still to low to send and/or receive pm's, I request your permission to post the photo below in another (SA) forum I am a member of..... I will appreciate if you do not have an objection to this.??
Samurai_Gourami_13.jpg

As I said Chanin......They are fantastic fish!..... probably the most beautiful freshwater I've yet seen..... but I've never before seen them..... it'll be a millenium before those will be available in South Africa!.....

Chanin.... since your post count is still to low to send and/or receive pm's, I request your permission to post the photo below in another (SA) forum I am a member of..... I will appreciate if you do not have an objection to this.??
Samurai_Gourami_13.jpg

With my pleasure, my friend :lol:

By the way, I really love your "Rainbow Country" that I used to visit years ago.

Me_Aloe.jpg

By the way, I really love your "Rainbow Country" that I used to visit years ago.

Thanks..... you ever get round this area again...... you're welcome to drop in..... I have spare bedrooms! :lol:

That really great! :hyper:

What I would like to see is your Southern Wright Whale,
as last time when I went to Hermanus I couldn't make it,

2hermanus.jpg

Oh..not exactly, I saw one, a dead one! :crazy:
before it got to be breaking news at South Cape on the day I found it.

2view_whale.jpg

2view_whale_3.jpg

2view_whale_2.jpg

lovely pics Chanin, thanks for sharing. I saw some of these in an LFS in Nottingham the other week. I was really tempted, but they are to expensive over here to risk. I'm now running soft water, so we will see in the future.

i also see the ADA stuff in your pics :drool:

Wow! :drool: :drool: :drool:
Are those one's not the males? I thought it was usually the males that displayed the colours and the females that were drab?
Either way, they are just beautiful! :wub:
:lol: Caz...... Strangely, in this species..... the females are the beautiful ones...... not like it is with humans or other animals where the males are predominantly the better looking...... :lol:

not like it is with humans or other animals where the males are predominantly the better looking...... :lol:

:X Ludwig, might I recommend finding a good hiding place PDQ........

What I would like to see is your Southern Wright Whale,
as last time when I went to Hermanus

Hermanus is the ideal place to see the mating rituals and activities of our white whales...... As the crow flies..... I am approximately 1,800km from Hermanus, but you wanna see the White Rhinoceros, free roaming wild Leopards and other game.... That is where I am at.... In the heart of the bushveld area :lol:

I nominate this for the Fish Of The Month competition.

Chanin, it would be great if you would consider entering, you can find the compeition in the Monthly Competitions sub-section of the forum

OMG!! What glorious colours!!! :drool: And to think those fashionistas from years ago stated "Red and Green should not be seen" - what did they know??!! I would buy those in a heartbeat! I wonder if it's possible to import them into Australia? We're relatively close to Thailand

They are such gorgous fish, :wub: and you are so lucky to have found some to have in your tanks to look at as you want. I would put a green with envy emoticon but there are none. Since one of my local pet shops here in Australia often gets in some of the more unusual fish I will be asking them if these guys are ever on their order forms, and if so I think I will be doing my best to get a group of them. I am guessing that in a well planted tank these guys don't mind being in a school like the sparkling gouramis that I saw in one of your pictures, and that they are not aggressive to other gouramis?.

I nominate this for the Fish Of The Month competition.

Chanin, it would be great if you would consider entering, you can find the compeition in the Monthly Competitions sub-section of the forum

I was going to do the same thing Zod.... I'll just have to check the rules..... Have to have a certain number of posts or something to that effect before entering a competition??.... It's past midnight in SA, so I'll check in the morn..... I'm going to dive right now!... G/night!

Most reactions

trending

Back