well… I like them even better, when they just show up…

Magnum Man33 147

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,632
Reaction score
6,883
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
in this case “them” are Mexican orange dwarf crayfish… but I’ve had this happen with fish, just as well, where they get added to a tank, and you don’t see them for do long, you forgot you added them… then one day, they just show up…

today’s surprise caused me to over flow a tank… I had my 1/4 inch well water line running while I was feeding fish, then stepped around to the front of the tanks to watch for a minute ( a mistake when I’m slowly filling well water ) then all of a sudden 2 orange crays came rolling out of one of the rock piles, so I moved closer to take a good look… I had added a few of these, months ago to this tank, and never saw them again, but being a cooler tank, I didn’t know if they would make it… one bigger, one smaller ( perhaps a male and female??? ) but they seemed fine being close… I don’t expect they will breed in a 70 degree F. tank, but they seem to be thriving…
 
Last edited:
I've kept those in the past and as you know from my related topic, I've kept and still keep them at about the temperature you've mentioned. And they've bred at such temperatures regularly without any problems.
 
for wha ever reason, they are coming out every day, so far this week, after being unseen for around 3 months???
IMG_9357.jpeg



IMG_9358.jpeg


IMG_9359.webp
 
so, these are really thriving in this cooler water tank… at 1st light this morning I got to witness the larger one up climbing on one of the pothos roots… this tank is set at 70 degrees F., and I didn’t know if they would take the cooler water, or survive the pack of mature denison barbs… but they are thriving… this is info from the seller, and this tank is much cooler than their listed temperature range… maybe they won’t breed at 70 degrees, but are certainly active… I guess time will tell, and I’ll likely add a few more to this tank, when I can, I only put 2 in here as an expirement…

IMG_9531.webp
 
I'm glad they came out; they're amusing to watch when they decide to get up to shenanigans. One thing to mention about the compatibility, they need to change that from "may" become to "will" become territorial. If you do add more make sure they're females.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top