When do guppy fry get their color?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have had my fry for a few weeks now and I still can't sex them or notice any color on them. I know how to sex livebearers but I can't believe that all of my guppies are female. Maybe they haven't developed the gonopodium yet? Does this take a few months? When do they get their color?

guppymonkey said:
I have had my fry for a few weeks now and I still can't sex them or notice any color on them. I know how to sex livebearers but I can't believe that all of my guppies are female. Maybe they haven't developed the gonopodium yet? Does this take a few months? When do they get their color?
i have a few 2 months moliie fry and i still can't see what sex they are. it probably takes 4 months.

Oh yes the frys have to be in a temperature of more than 75F imo, that'll make them less susceptible to illness

By the way, my frys r a bit more than a month old, n their tail colour r starting to come out (which is yellowish). B4 the colour, their "spots" came out when they r 2-3 weeks old.

the tank imo should be 78-80 F. my guppy fry start to get their color around 3 months, and I can tell the sex around that time also.

Well i have 13 baby guppys in a 5 gallon tank in a breeding trap and NO heater! they all are still alive but i am getting a 29 gallon tank really soon and i will get a heater and every thing! ALSO i have read that the temp like 78 is a good temp for the fry and they will grow much faster than a tank with NO heater like mine! I WANT MY 29 GALLON AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh :angry:

Guppy_molly_lover said:
Well i have 13 baby guppys in a 5 gallon tank in a breeding trap and NO heater! they all are still alive but i am getting a 29 gallon tank really soon and i will get a heater and every thing! ALSO i have read that the temp like 78 is a good temp for the fry and they will grow much faster than a tank with NO heater like mine! I WANT MY 29 GALLON AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh :angry:
you can't wait to get your 29 gallon tank? :D

But how long it's gonna take to cycle a new tank @quickest? Good luck hunting ur 29 gallon!

I overchanged the water in the fry tank n a mini cycle started. Rite now there's 1 fatality :-(

But how long it's gonna take to cycle a new tank @quickest? Good luck hunting ur 29 gallon!

I overchanged the water in the fry tank n a mini cycle started. Rite now there's 1 fatality

how much water did you change???? do you have UGF installed?

back to the main questions... guppies can determine there sex in a week old ( ppl say) but most noticable is 1 month when their sex charatists~

i have 20~ 30 guppy fry in my 10 gallon tank now~ they seem to be very happy

Mashimaro, I don't have a UGF. The 14 of them live in a 5 gallon, with a Penn plax small world filter. I usually change 20% water every 3 days, but the last week's been crazy, so I didn't do a water change for about 5-6 days. So this week, I did a 30% water change in 2 consecutive days, n ............. u know what next :-(

Btw, I like ur name. He's too funny, hehe!! :D

Guppy_molly_lover said:
hum........ do you guys have heaters?
Um.... YEAH. Considering that I live in the northeast of the United States a heater is a must. Even if I lived where it was warm all year I would still have a heater. Otherwise the temperature would change too rapidly in the tank.

I am not really sure how old my fry are (haven't really been keeping track). They are a few weeks old anyways. There is still no visible difference between the fish. So I guess I will have to wait a few more weeks.

Does color show up faster when the fry are fed brine shrimp? I noticed that when I feed my adult guppies shrimp they seem to have more colors and shine. Hmmm, I wonder.....

Guppymonkey.... fry will start showing color,grow faster show their gender a bit faster with optimun conditions like having a nice worm temp.80's is fine.daily,yes daily water changes about 10%.and definately a balanced diet.meaning live or frozen baby brine shrimp,daphnia and others,flakes,and also algae from the fish tank.Variety is key here.and feed them as often as possible in little portions (thats why is important to do water changes on a daily basis)
When people say they can tell their gender and start seeing colors in less than two months,is because they are doing what I described before.Now,I am not telling you are doing something wrong,as a matter of fact a friend of mine is a breeder and his one month old are twice the size and more developed than mine.Dont worryabout colors and being able to tell gender,the gonopodions will eventually appear.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back