Whats your favorite tetra and why?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I mean, I like neon tetras, (as I have 8 of them) but rummy nose tetras are more active/ more colorful. :)

I mean, I like neon tetras, (as I have 8 of them) but rummy nose tetras are more active/ more colorful. :)
I have neons as well, mostly out of availability. Cant get rummy nose where i am no one carrys them because the local water is hard and i dont want to pay for shipping to get them

I have neons as well, mostly out of availability. Cant get rummy nose where i am no one carrys them because the local water is hard and i dont want to pay for shipping to get them
Do you use RO water to soften it?

I like neon too but I made the mistake of stocking them and my embers too soon when I started up my 55 gallon tank again. I should have waited until the tanks was well established. At least 6 months or longer before adding them. I lost several of each and have not replaced them yet. My red eyed did great and had 13 babies and my glow light tetras didn't loose any. I plan on restocking and adding a new shoal when things get back to normal. I use RO to soften my water which adds a lot of extra work but I care for my tetras.

Do you use RO water to soften it?
I use just RO dont mix it with tap cuz i dont trust all the other stuff in it. Fluoride chromium arsenic all that junk my fish or plants dont need so i just use RO water and remineralize it with calcium magnesium and potassium. Oddly the water out if the tap i wont put in my fish tank i drink...:(

I like neon too but I made the mistake of stocking them and my embers too soon when I started up my 55 gallon tank again. I should have waited until the tanks was well established. At least 6 months or longer before adding them. I lost several of each and have not replaced them yet. My red eyed did great and had 13 babies and my glow light tetras didn't loose any. I plan on restocking and adding a new shoal when things get back to normal. I use RO to soften my water which adds a lot of extra work but I care for my tetras.
Yeah glo lights are pretty hardy, ill also probably end up getting some once things calm down. Id rather have rummy nose or von rio flame tetra but stores rarely have them. I like the look of emperor tetra but have never kept them, neons and glo lights black neons are just so easy to get a hold of thats what i usually end up with

The Congo Tetra is low key the most beautiful aquarium fish. Pictures really don't capture how breathtaking they are. They're like swimming opals and their finnage is fantastic.

On a side note, Cardinal Tetras are my least favorite tetra. Their behavior is bland and their marking are actually pretty mediocre. Sure, the markings are colorful, but they lack complexity and look a little flat at times.

Cardinals and Flameback Bleeding Hearts - Love their colors.

The Congo Tetra is low key the most beautiful aquarium fish. Pictures really don't capture how breathtaking they are. They're like swimming opals and their finnage is fantastic.

On a side note, Cardinal Tetras are my least favorite tetra. Their behavior is bland and their marking are actually pretty mediocre. Sure, the markings are colorful, but they lack complexity and look a little flat at times.
How do congos do with smaller tetras like neons, rummy, ect...?

I like Black Phantom tetras. I had a rescue once, it will pretty. :nod:

black phantom, emperor, cochu blue and splashing tetras.

congo tetras are too big and boisterous to be kept with smaller tetras like neons.
Ive had blue tetra and theyre cool but too rambunctious for my other tetra. Thanks for the tip on the congos!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back