Whats your favorite tetra and why?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you mix your tap water with RO it would soften the GH
Where can I get RO Water?... I would imagine that having to purchase water every time you do a water change would be a bit of a pain... I am researching and looking for some other ways to soften the water some. I've heard you can add peat to soften water.

IMO you waters fine. I know a Blue ram/discus/apisto breeder who breeds in water like that.
What do you want to keep?
Schools of different Tetras (Rummy-nose, Cardinal or Neon), Harlequin Rasboras, German Blue Rams, and possibly Dwarf Gourami's or Dwarf Rainbow Fish, and for Bottom dwellers I am interested in Corydoras and Kuhli Loaches. I am not interested in Discus or Apisto's.

Schools of different Tetras (Rummy-nose, Cardinal or Neon), Harlequin Rasboras, German Blue Rams, and possibly Dwarf Gourami's or Dwarf Rainbow Fish, and for Bottom dwellers I am interested in Corydoras and Kuhli Loaches. I am not interested in Discus or Apisto's.
I know that I was just saying that they breed in that water.
I don't you should have to do anything to it. I would just leave it. :)
However if you REALLY want to just get ro get a RO buddie. 60$

I know that I was just saying that they breed in that water.
I don't you should have to do anything to it. I would just leave it. :)
However if you REALLY want to just get ro get a RO buddie. 60$
Awesome!!! thanks for the advise! :) That is good to hear... I do keep hearing advise that seems to indicate that unless you plan on keeping fish that require really soft or really hard water, that it is best to not mess with the water hardness because you end up trying to keep chasing a specific level, and this can effect other water parameters in the process, and that STABLE water parameters that don't fluctuate too much are just as important as the exact right parameters... Same goes for pH etc.. That is what I am learning through all of my research anyway... LOL :) ... I think that is one of the reasons why I love this Hobby so much... You are always learning!!

Awesome!!! thanks for the advise! :) That is good to hear... I do keep hearing advise that seems to indicate that unless you plan on keeping fish that require really soft or really hard water, that it is best to not mess with the water hardness because you end up trying to keep chasing a specific level, and this can effect other water parameters in the process, and that STABLE water parameters that don't fluctuate too much are just as important as the exact right parameters... Same goes for pH etc.. That is what I am learning through all of my research anyway... LOL :) ... I think that is one of the reasons why I love this Hobby so much... You are always learning!!
Very good! All correct. And like you said, there are exceptions.
Hope I helped! :)

Where can I get RO Water?... I would imagine that having to purchase water every time you do a water change would be a bit of a pain... I am researching and looking for some other ways to soften the water some. I've heard you can add peat to soften water.
I use RO water for my tetras. I purchase it at the local Calligan dealer. They sell it in 5 gallon jugs for 29 cents a gallon.

around 9.7 (degrees, not ppm), so I believe that I may need to add something to soften the water slightly?

Oh, and the dKH is around 7-8
If you want rummy nose tetra the DGH need to be no more than 6 degrees which is about 108ppm. Under 100 is preferable.
Rummy nose are sensitive to water and wont last long in water with GH above 6.
You are correct in adding them later than other fish though, because they are sensitive they need established tank but once they get settled in they are very hardy as long as the water stays soft.
As other posters have mentioned adding RO water will decrease GH.

Our Fish of the Month contest in mid June will feature Tetras. So if you have a nice tetra, take a good pic and get ready to enter the contest.

A lot of grocery stores will have RO water now that one can purchase from a machine i a 5 gallon or 1 gallon jug. Its ususally between 25 cent to 40 cents per gallon. Some fish especially fish stores that sell marine fish will have RO water for sale.

I use RO water for my tetras. I purchase it at the local Calligan dealer. They sell it in 5 gallon jugs for 29 cents a gallon.
Had no idea that was so inexpensive.
But my source water is hard, so I'll stick to the fish I have that are doing well.

I really would like some of those tiny peppered Corys... some day...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back