The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

namescat

Reaction score
My female betta is currently in my quarantine tank and has developed a new split in her upper lip as of today, which you can see at 0:06 in the video I've attached. I don't understand what's causing these splits because the split runs deep enough in one part to see red. She is still being treated with Melafix for a previous infection and I add aquarium salt to the tank because she has recently come down with ich.

She's in the quarantine ta ich after she had a bacterial infection around her mouth about a month ago that caused it to become swollen and covered with white. I assume the infection ate away at part of her upper lip so you'll see part of it missing at 0:17. She's since healed from that and I've been treating her with Melafix still just because there is still some deformity, swelling and white.

I've been treating the ich with aquarium salt and water changes.

The quarantine tank is 3g with 2 small plants, a moss ball, gravel, a rock and decoration. Her temperature is always around 78.5 degrees. The pH, ammonia, and nitrate levels are all alright. All the other bettas in the sorority I took her out of are healthy.

Why do you think the area around my betta's mouth is splitting and swelling?

Attachments

• IMG_5915.JPG
    IMG_5915.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 387
Thatā€™s really strange! Iā€™m not an expert, but my best guess would be some kind of tumor. If it is a tumor, thereā€™s not much you can do.
The only other thing I think it could be is cotton wool or mouth fungus (two names for the same thing). Have you noticed any kind of white foam on the body or lips?
Sheā€™s a beautiful fish. Hope sheā€™s okay.

Hi

She is still being treated with Melafix
This stuff is GARBAGE and thats where it belongs.

A few questions.

How big is her normal tank?
Any tank mates.
Is it cycled?
Has it got a filter?
Has it got a heater?
What is the water temp?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
What water conditioner do you use?

Hey Nick! I wasnā€™t sure how to treat her mouth fungus before and melafix did the job of getting rid of it!

Her normal tank is 10gal with three other female bettas, a platy, and a small pleco. Yes, itā€™s been running for almost 10 months now so itā€™s been cycled. It has a heater and stays about 78 as well.

I do a 25-50% water change per week depending on how dirty the tank is. But the week that she initially got the mouth fungus was a busy time and I didnā€™t get to cleaning the tank for about 2 weeks. I use API stress coat conditioner. Thanks for your reply!

I know, Iā€™m completely stumped :/ No matter what I do, itā€™s been one thing after another with her. She is the oldest fish in the tank so maybe that has some part in this? There is some white. Maybe the mouth fungus is coming back?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back