Whats With Gouramis?

New2Me

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon long fish tank. It has 3 clawed frogs, a pleco, and 1 powder blue gourami. I've added other fish such as catfish, a baby oscar, and a puffer fish but all of those have died. I finally got the water levels under control now I want to add a few more fish. This is my first gourami, and I feel bad because he is by himself. Any info on their personalities, and what other fish I can add, would be greatly appreciated. They will all be moved to another larger tank in the future also, so I'm not worried about space.

From what I am have read, they are to be kept in a group of 1-2 males to 2-3 females. But I don't know much more...

BB

HI! I actually have a blue gourami (Guido) in my tank and decided the same, that he looked lonely. Well, my fiance and I went to the pet shop and got another one, this time an albino blue gourami (Dax). Well, at first they appeared to be fine when we still had the fish in the bag in the aquarium to get adjusted to the water. Well, the entire night, they didn't even look at each other. The next morning before leaving to go to work, the albino was all beat up and the fins were mutilated. Luckily we had another tank to place him into. I forgot to mention both my gouramis are male. It appears that our males hate each other. We originally wanted a female to breed with our Guido, but the lady at the pet store didn't care which we got. :angry: Anyway, I guess the point of all this is to be sure you have another tank just in case the companions and the original don't get along.

Oh yeah, both are doing great and are super healthy!

Hi New2Me :)

You don't have to worry about your gourami being lonesome. They are not schooling fish and they do quite fine alone.

What you do have to worry about is those 3 clawed frogs in your tank. If they are the African Clawed Frogs, they will wind up eating anything they can possible manage to get into their mouths.

You will probably want to eventually move them to a 20 gallon (tall - they are jumpers) tank by themselves. I have 5 of them and know what great pets they are, but also that they are not really good companions for fish.

There's a link in my signature that will take you to a thread with a lot of good information and links about them. Why not read through it and ask questions about them in the Invertebrates and Amphibians section. :unsure:

Yes the frogs are african clawed frogs, the first one i got ate all my guppies (I think they all disappeared!) But they all get along with the pleco (he's about 6inches long) and they dont bother the gourami yet, the frogs eat blood worms and krill, I dont know how healthy of a diet that is thats what the petstore said to do. I'm good with the fuzzy animals but not with water ones lol. I'm learning though :p I have a 55gallon for the frogs, I figure they will need it in a few months, they are growing like crazy! How would I tell female from male gouramis? I know my petstore probably dont even know. :/ I'm glad he/she isnt lonesome though, it looked like it. I wouldnt want to take the chance of him/her getting beat up by another one though. I also have about 8 rosy reds in there from a turtle i had that died, I hope they're not annoying him/her. I had a puffer fish that died, I recently found out they are high stress and do not tolerate other fish... with the hyper frogs and pleco, plus rosy reds, it literally must have drove him nuts. The petstore guy didnt tell me that though! :no: Anyway, I'm glad I found a good place to come for info, the others seemed like all kids. Thanks for all your help!

Knowing the difference between whether you gourami's a male or female depends on what kind of gourami it is. The majority of the time you can distinguish by the male's dorsal fin being slightly more extended than the females. That's pretty much all I know about it at the moment. I'm still learning more about the two I have! :D Hope this helps!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back