What's new

What's Going On With This Plant (Pics)?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

coolfishguy12

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've got four of these sword plants, they were doing fine when I first put them in the tank. But now new leaves grow in distorted (ravelled edges, small, orange/red tint on the edges). The existing leaves seems to be thriving but new growth looks weak?

I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it but it seemed like the issues started after putting Seachem Flourish Root Tabs in my gravel. I cannot confirm there is any correlation between the two. Other than the root tabs, I don't dose any other fertilizers or CO2. I use a single Sun-Glo (by Hagen) 14W 4200k fluorescent tube.

It's a 10 gallon tank, plants include:
- Hornwort
- Moneywort
- Corkscrew Val
- Water Wisteria
- Red Ludwigia
- Ocelot Green
- Swords (not sure exactly what type these are the only one’s I’m having issues with)

vcLt2ZV.png

5UMp1BQ.png

bUHwUvW.png

As far as I know, and I am no expert, thats how swoard plants grow in, and as the leaves get bigger they turn brighter :)

EllieJellyEllie said:
As far as I know, and I am no expert, thats how swoard plants grow in, and as the leaves get bigger they turn brighter
smile.png

Originally, the leaves on my swords grew in nicely. It was only recently that they started growing in distorted.

I've had these plants for approximately 3 months.

At about the 2 month mark, I added root tabs. I've also been adding other species over the course of the three months. All the other plants seem happy, no explosive growth but that's not what I expect with my low-tech setup. 

Nitrates are usually kept fairly low because I have sensitive fish. I'll do 2-3 large water changes per week to keep nitrates around 5ppm (the tank is intentionally overstocked which is why I have to do more water changes). Here are the results of the water quality study done in my City. There should be plenty of micros coming from the tap.

oOKmW1s.png

After doing a little research, I think they are in fact crypts (cryptocoryne lutea to be specific). See the better photos below, note that the second one was from when they were fairly juvenile.

JDBbKfm.png

uAab1kS.png

You are correct, the plant shown is not a sword but likely a crypt; I'm not much up on crypt species so won't go further.

With rexspect to your plant species listed and your water data, you might find the Vallisneria will not do well.  This plant is better with harder water.  You might just be on the border with your GH at 91 mg/l (which is ppm, which equates to around 5 dGH).  And if you use a basic comprehensive liquid fertilizer it will add a bit more of the "hard" minerals like calcium, magnesium, etc.  Similarly for the Water Wisteria, where light may be the issue, but give it time.

You might want to thin out some of these plants, as in a 10g you are going to have a thick jungle if everything manages.  I would suggest a liquid fert though, like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement.  Their Flourish Trace is another good product, though I would start with the Comp and see, as you will benefit from the macros in this one that are missing in the Trace.

Interesting that the chart considers your water to be moderately hard.  I would consider it soft.  I have very soft at near-zero GH here in Vancouver, and I use Equilibrium to raise the GH to around 5 dGH in my three largest tanks with the swords.  You're water is near-perfect for soft water fish and most plants.

Byron. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back