What up with my Cory?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

heatherwatson0210

Reaction score
I noticed this white blotch on his head today during water change. He isnā€™t very active, mostly lying on the bottom of the tank and didnā€™t eat anything during feeding time tonight. Has he injured himself? Can if be a bacterial infection?
B86BC4F8-C361-422E-8763-7CE9927E5B8B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFF
Hopefully someone will respond to your concern soon.

He was swimming very fast this morning and going round in circles. Worried something else is wrong. Might try some anti bacterial medicine just to be sure. Havenā€™t seen him since this morning he seems to be hiding.

Had another look. Thought it was in the skin but now think it is on it. Can't see it clearly.

Looks to me like a wound that might have become infected.

If you can get your hands on some eSHa 2000, I would use that, and in the meantime if it will take days to arrive, focus on heavy water changes, and perhaps try salt treatment, since that can have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal affects. However, cories can be sensitive to salt. Some have used it and said their cories were fine, others have said their cories have freaked out when salt was added, so it's a personal decision about whether you want to try it. I recommend eSHa 2000 because I've personally had it work with cories, but their problem wasn't as severe.

If you do decide to go with salt treatment, add it very slowly and very diluted at first, and monitor the fishes' reaction to it. If they freak out, then water change with fresh water to dilute out the salt again.

Wish I could help more! Please update us, whatever happens.

Looks to me like a wound that might have become infected.

If you can get your hands on some eSHa 2000, I would use that, and in the meantime if it will take days to arrive, focus on heavy water changes, and perhaps try salt treatment, since that can have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal affects. However, cories can be sensitive to salt. Some have used it and said their cories were fine, others have said their cories have freaked out when salt was added, so it's a personal decision about whether you want to try it. I recommend eSHa 2000 because I've personally had it work with cories, but their problem wasn't as severe.

If you do decide to go with salt treatment, add it very slowly and very diluted at first, and monitor the fishes' reaction to it. If they freak out, then water change with fresh water to dilute out the salt again.

Wish I could help more! Please update us, whatever happens.
Thank you so much. Iā€™ve ordered some and will keep up the large water changes until it arrives. Fingers crossed!

Thank you so much. Iā€™ve ordered some and will keep up the large water changes until it arrives. Fingers crossed!
Good luck! Please do let us know how you get on, poor little dude. But they can be tough, so fingers crossed!

Melafix is just tea tree oil, it's more of an antiseptic than an antibacterial. It might prevent an infection getting into a damaged area but it won't cure an infection.

I treated the tank with methylene blue for three days and havenā€™t seen the poorly guy at all for days. Did water change today and heā€™s nowhere to be seen. Have taken all ornaments and plants out and had a look through the sand and canā€™t find him anywhere. Expect him to be dead but will the other fish have eaten his remains?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back