What type of Oddball can I keep in my 36 gallon bowfront?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ethank984

Reaction score
I have the tank fully cycled, it’s been running for a couple years without problems. I am planning on moving the current stock into a new 50 gallon tank. Is there any oddballs, such as bichirs, that could be kept in my 36 gallon tank?

We need to know you water quality before we can answer your questions accurately. I do know that a senegal bichir is the smallest bichir but also the most active. Therefore a 36 gallon will be fine but a larger tank is preferred. Why dont you use the 50 gallon as an oddball tank? This will have more possibilities and will be easier to maintain the water chemistry.

I cant answer your questions completely unless I know these things about the 36 gallon.
What are the dimensions?
What is the ph?
what is the hardness?

We need to know you water quality before we can answer your questions accurately. I do know that a senegal bichir is the smallest bichir but also the most active. Therefore a 36 gallon will be fine but a larger tank is preferred. Why dont you use the 50 gallon as an oddball tank? This will have more possibilities and will be easier to maintain the water chemistry.

I cant answer your questions completely unless I know these things about the 36 gallon.
What are the dimensions?
What is the ph?
what is the hardness?

The dimensions are 30" L x 15" W x 21" H
The ph is around 7, and the hardness is around 13 gh. I would use the 50 gallon as a Oddball tank, but the dwarf rainbow fish I was keeping in the 36 gallon tank have bred, and I want to keep the fry. Ive read about the Guinean Bichir, which sounds like one of the smaller species of bichir, but I don’t know how avaiable they are. Also, could an elephant nose fish be kept in my 36 gallon?

Last edited:
You may be able to keep one mormyrid in that tank but they are aggressive so you cant put anything else in besides maybe small peaceful fish

Last edited:
You may be able to keep one mormyrid in that tank but they are aggressive so you cant put anything else in besides maybe small peaceful fish
Thanks for the information, I think I might try the Senegal Bichir, because they sound a bit less fussy when it comes to water quality, feeding, etc, and it seems more suited to my tanks decor

khulis, hillstreams if you get a powerhead

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back