What To Buy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have had lots of experience with freshwater, but now want to get a small marine tank.  I know the theory of buy big as you'll do that eventually (i have been there done that) but this tank will be a small one.  One of my favourite fresh water tanks was just 90L.

So i am thinking a 90 ish L tank with all the equipment built in would be good.   plug in and play type tank.  I guess one with a sump in the bottom of a stand would be better though?  

Can anybody give me suggestions on what to buy?  And from where (online?).  I can't find a huge amount of marine tanks online...

Thanks

Hey,
well for me when it come to a plug-and-play type system you have to know if your going for a full-blown reef, softies,FOWLR(fish only with live rock), or a fish only system. If your interested in the last two options i suggest you go for any tank and set it up as a marine. However if your interested a full reef or just softies then a plug-and-play is a great option. 

The next consideration in any PAP aquarium is the budget. You could go to the king of PAP Red Sea and take a look at their range or Aquael's Reef Max could be a good choice for a medium budget. A lower budger option could be a Boyu so i suggest you just take a look around at these different companies offerings.

Corydoralover said:
Hey,
well for me when it come to a plug-and-play type system you have to know if your going for a full-blown reef, softies,FOWLR(fish only with live rock), or a fish only system. If your interested in the last two options i suggest you go for any tank and set it up as a marine. However if your interested a full reef or just softies then a plug-and-play is a great option. 

The next consideration in any PAP aquarium is the budget. You could go to the king of PAP Red Sea and take a look at their range or Aquael's Reef Max could be a good choice for a medium budget. A lower budger option could be a Boyu so i suggest you just take a look around at these different companies offerings.
I think I would like to go for a full reef, I would prefer to have live corals than artificial ones, so I guess PAP is still the best option.

Budget....cheap! But, there is no point buying cheap if it's going to limit me or make my life difficult keeping things alive. What are the main differences?

Any good websites for a range of stock? Normally it's easy, but the websites I normally look at don't seem to have a 'chick here for all marine tanks' sort of link haha

Well the main difference is what comes with the tank, for example we'll look at supplied lighting since you want a full reef,

Red Sea max 130D (The most expensive)
2x 55w T5s (10,000k + actinic)
4 blue LED moonlights
Electronic balast
24hr programmable lighting timer with on/off switch

Aquael ReefMAX (Medium Model)
2x 24w T5s 10,000K
1X 24 T5s 
1x blue LED moonlights

Boyu TL450 nano tank
2x 18w T5s 
Blue LED moonlights

See here if you haven't already looked at these threads:
Marine FAQ
Marine Equipment

Budget....cheap! But, there is no point buying cheap if it's going to limit me or make my life difficult keeping things alive. What are the main differences?

Although "cheap" is ambiguous, the marine side of the hobby is usually not considered cheap by most people's standards - particularly reef setups, which require more expensive lighting. The cheapest path is usually to look for tanks that people are trying to sell off or unload rapidly. Sometimes all-in-one setups like the ones Corydoralover listed will be available that way.

If your in the UK check gumtree for some live rock get it for about £5 a kilo

My first marine tank was only 110L

As a beginner, it can be comforting to get a plug in and play setup, but it suffers exactly the same pitfalls you get with a plug in and play freshwater setup. The stuff that comes with it tends to be only just powerful enough for the tank it's designed for, and, speaking from experience, you'll never be truly happy with it.

The experience of researching what equipment you need can be a valuable one, even if it seems daunting right now.

I would, however, recommend you get a tank that's at least drilled.

Thanks for all the replies, i appreciate the comments.

When i say cheap, i know marine is much more expensive, i just meant that i dont want the all-singing-all-dancing tank.

My plug in and play tropical tank (Aqua start Aqua style 620 i think) was great as a beginer....but also as my knowledge developed.  I loved it!  I have had a play with the small tanks, moved to a 6ft tank with discus CO2 etc, then moved into breeding discus before i eventually packed it in.  Throughout all, the most joy i got was from my above mentioned tank.  Hence i was thinking i could do the same with marine but settle with a small ish tank.

I guess the difficulty is that you only really learn properly about equipment when you already have something and want to replace or upgrade - otherwise the spending scale is endless.

I have read loads of websites and also the links above RE getting started - but a basic question i am missing the answer to.... am i right in saying Fish only with live rock would be pretty boring colour wise (only colour from fake coral and the fish?).  Softies are easy to look after....corals(?), and then the 'full reef' is when you can buy any coral but require more light?

The next question is about stock....i guess.... my understanding is that marine tanks cannot be stocked nearly as much as tropical, so its best to use a sump which will allow for more filtration and hence, a higher stock level.  Is that correct?  If so, are there any 'plug in and play' marine tanks with sumps?  I cant find any!

I am keeping an eye on gumtree etc but people want stupid money for their tanks...one was advertisted as 'costing £1200, so selling for £1000'.  Whats the point?!  I may as well buy it new!

I disagree that FOWLR is boring colour-wise. My tank started off fully intended to be be just a FOWLR and I have some lovely purple coralline algae on my rocks, plus you can add things like barnacle shells etc. There are also inverts like feather dusters that come in a few colours which can add a similar feel to a coral tank without actually needing light as they're filter feeders. The only bad thing is that coralline takes forever to grow, and it's rare that you see any live rock at LFS with much on, but as in all things marine, patience is key.

You'll notice I said my tank was originally intended as a FOWLR, as I've just bitten the bullet and started to buy some soft corals. The good news with soft corals is that they're generally very easy to look after, requiring nothing more than some reasonably decent lighting and preferably a timer to run it. Your regular water changes will keep them topped up with everything else they need, as it's in the salt mix. You mentioned you've had a planted tank with CO2 before, so I wouldn't have thought soft corals or even SPS would be a problem for you at all. Soft corals are a great starting point. Have a look at some zoanthids, as they're very easy to keep but come in some wonderful colours.

Marine tanks seem scary with all the extra stuff you have to consider with fish, corals, plus additional equipment, but if you take it easy and slowly it's not that bad. I've had my marine tank running since May, and I'm still not up to my full stocking with fish, and I've only just this month added my first coral.

I've seen plenty of plug and play tanks with weirs, but I expect you'll struggle to find one with a sump. Plug and play tanks are more targeted towards folk who want a pretty tank in their living rooms, so the benefits (and expense) of sumps such as bigger better protein skimmers, refuges, the ability to grow chaeto etc just don't really appeal to them, whereas for us aquarists,it's almost a necessity. If you're looking for an all in one kit, I'd keep looking at Gumtree and eBay (there is an option to sort search results by distance to you) for a second hand setup.

My tank is 155L plus the sump, which seemed massive when it was a freshwater setup, but pretty small for a marine tank. 90L, even more so. Filtration isn't really an issue, as your live rock will provide ample biological filtration, your protein skimmer will do a good job of removing waste. Unlike in freshwater tanks, you also get the anoxic bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas, which can be encouraged by carbon dosing (which isn't something you should be looking to do any time soon, but know that it exists for future reference). In a freshwater tank, your stocking is mostly limited by filtration and water quality. In the marine world it's different, as while they are more sensitive to water quality, there are many more methods available to you to maintain it. The main issue with stocking a marine tank is that there are very few marine fish which aren't at least a tiny bit aggressive or territorial, and adding too many doesn't really end well. The good news, however, is that there are a lot of fish which do best in singles or pairs, so while you won't be able to have a lot of fish, you don't have to waste stocking space with several of one type like you would in a tropical tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back