What The Hell Is This?

plat means flat in nederlands so yes, translates to flatworm :)
 
Planaria is just a common name for any flatworm in the family Planariidae. They may or may not look like what we in the aquarium trade refer to as planaria.
 
To definitively ID it you would have to get a picture of the dorsal side.
 
It's a flatworm - of the order Tricladida (could be a planaria), it's free living and is no threat to the fish. I'm trying to ID it from a book now :).

If you don't want it Keith, I'll have it lol :).

I should edit to say: As others have noted, after looking at dozens of flatworms I'm sure100% a leech, still looking for species.

I'd take it out and keep in a jar in a warm place with some bits of plant. Not all leeches are bad, it could be just feeding off plant matter or other bugs in the tank :).
 
I dunno if I'll be in tomorrow, and if I am I'll be at the Gillis centre :(.

I'll take it on Monday (I'm not sure how happy Callum would feel about carrying a leech to the Gillis centre only to find I 'm not in lol), but if you don't feel happy keepin git over the weekend, kill it.

I wouldn't risk it in the tank just in case it does attack fish, and it doesn't appear to be a native species so releasing it outdoors probably isn't wise just in case it can survive the cold.

If you do kill it, try to take more pics first, the reason I though it was a flat worm was I couldn't watch the video (using linux atm, hadn't installed plugins). But I'd be interested to try and find out what it is exactly, as I've seen them come in with plant shipments before.

Cheers Keith.
 
Ok no problem, ill bag it and keep it till monday. If you find yourself coming in tomrrow, drop me a text and ill bring it in.

Keith.

EDIT: Im pretty sure youve got my no. if not PM me.
 
If you do get an exact ID on it, do let us know. I occasionally see this one come in on blackworm cultures.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top