What The Heck Is This Crustacean?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gotteeguy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i live in north florida on the gulf of mexico side. 2 days ago when i was leaving from the beach a random kid gave me a plastic jar with this-
Benstank1.jpg
in it. i put it in my saltwater tank because i have no where else to put it... other than my 80 gallon saltwater tank but the catfish or horseshoe crabs might eat it. it has two hook-shaped front feet and it can dig very well. it is very similar to sand fleas (mole crabs) i find in the same area. so anyone know what it is?

it is more smooth than spiny and its claws are more boxer-glove shaped. he said he found it by the shore. i've found others before, rarely though. it looks like a mole crab and squat monster mix.

i found out it is a spiny mole (or sand) crab. but i never found information that they were found in florida. it only said california.

Hey,
I'm from NJ and they have them up here. There great for catching stripped bass. ha ha. They are i believe mole crabs but the specific type, I'm not sure. I just know that they love burrying themselves in the sand and digging.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back