What Plants Should I Get?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Right now my 54L tank for guppies (and hopefully otocinclus by Autumn) has amazon frogbit, some elodea densa and java moss (which isn't growing all too well so far but we'll see). I'm hoping to get some more plants in, since the main idea was to have it be a planted tank.

Any suggestions? It's not got much hardscaping aside from a few large lumps of slate/rock, so it's a completely free space.

I'd like some larger plants that make it look sort of like a rainforest or something, if that's anything to go by.

My current ideas were maybe some anubias or something else with big, exotic looking leaves to fill out space in the tank. I'd also really like a carpeted tank "floor".

Here's a photo of the tank in all its cruddy glory. Sorry about the bad angle + lighting!

h.jpg

I would think some water sprite would give a bit of a rainforest look, Amazon sword would go well too, it has a very nice color. Anubias is really nice too, especially the darker varieties! Maybe some dwarf sag, jungle vals, or even corkscrew vals to add a bit of extra variation?

I don't know much about carpet plants, but I have always though dwarf hairgrass and Dwarf Pennywort look awesome!

I would think some water sprite would give a bit of a rainforest look, Amazon sword would go well too, it has a very nice color. Anubias is really nice too, especially the darker varieties! Maybe some dwarf sag, jungle vals, or even corkscrew vals to add a bit of extra variation?
vals would be super nice!
maybe some small sword plants or a big one that can grow out of the tank and make on land leaves
I don't know much about carpet plants, but I have always though dwarf hairgrass and Dwarf Pennywort look awesome!
hairgrass is not a full aquatic plant, last time i planted it it died :(
monte carlo is cool
japonica is also cool

I've got some sort of vals in my 170L, definitely a favourite of mine. It's got a very wild look, I just wish it spread out more.
Dwarf hairgrass was actually my first choice, but unfortunately there was none in stock locally and I couldn't find any online, so I settled for micranthemum umbrosum (terrible idea, just don't use it lol. It just made me depressed lol). Got java moss now which looks quite nice, but hasn't grown like I was hoping it to so I might get some more or add another type of moss.
vals would be super nice!
maybe some small sword plants or a big one that can grow out of the tank and make on land leaves
That sounds really cool actually, got any plants by name that do that?
hairgrass is not a full aquatic plant, last time i planted it it died :(
monte carlo is cool
japonica is also cool
I've seen monte carlo being praised a lot throughout forums and YouTube channels, I might try it out if I can find it. It's got a really nice cress look which I find quite appealing.

If you wanted to go full blown "rainforest" you could get some branchy driftwood pieces and create some really cool scapes

I've got some sort of vals in my 170L, definitely a favourite of mine. It's got a very wild look, I just wish it spread out more.

Dwarf hairgrass was actually my first choice, but unfortunately there was none in stock locally and I couldn't find any online, so I settled for micranthemum umbrosum (terrible idea, just don't use it lol. It just made me depressed lol). Got java moss now which looks quite nice, but hasn't grown like I was hoping it to so I might get some more or add another type of moss.

I've seen monte carlo being praised a lot throughout forums and YouTube channels, I might try it out if I can find it. It's got a really nice cress look which I find quite appealing.
basically the biggest amazon sword you can find at your store, do not force it to crow leaves out of water, it will do so on its own
your tank looks pretty shallow, so maybe some pothos, monstera, mangrove or ribbon plants
mangrove will be cool, i am planning to get some.
ludwiga gives off a nice jungle feel when grown out of tank.
ferns are cool too
If you wanted to go full blown "rainforest" you could get some branchy driftwood pieces and create some really cool scapes
that;s cool, maybe get a driftwood that is ridded off all tannins (becuase of liveberaers) and make it stick out of the water with some on land anubias hanging onto it

oh no, what happened to the baby tears, did it die?

Manzanita has very little tannins in it. I have 3 large branches of it, very nice wood
that's cool, i might head over to the forest and get some manzanita!!
it looks like a bonsai, but i dont think anubias likes it.
totally optional
@PlasticGalaxy i just thought of crypts, easy to grow and give off jungle vibe

Ooh, I'll look into that for sure. Since I'm putting some rocks into the 170L (hopefully) I might not have space for the tiger wood root, so I might cut it to size for the 54L.
oh no, what happened to the baby tears, did it die?
Died, withered, always floated away, just made me sad really lol. I didn't really like how it looked in the end either.
basically the biggest amazon sword you can find at your store, do not force it to crow leaves out of water, it will do so on its own
I'll see if there's any there when I go to the LFS next. I'm planning on making a lid (a sliding one) so I might not be able to, though...
your tank looks pretty shallow, so maybe some pothos, monstera, mangrove or ribbon plants
Do you mean depth from back to front or how much water's in there?
mangrove will be cool, i am planning to get some.
ludwiga gives off a nice jungle feel when grown out of tank.
ferns are cool too

that;s cool, maybe get a driftwood that is ridded off all tannins (becuase of liveberaers) and make it stick out of the water with some on land anubias hanging onto it
Had a nice big lump of wood in there actually. Took it out because it wasn't benefiting anything in the tank and just became a nasty breeding ground for fish poop. Might put it back in when I've got more plants though. Thanks for the ideas!

Ooh, I'll look into that for sure. Since I'm putting some rocks into the 170L (hopefully) I might not have space for the tiger wood root, so I might cut it to size for the 54L.

Died, withered, always floated away, just made me sad really lol. I didn't really like how it looked in the end either.

I'll see if there's any there when I go to the LFS next. I'm planning on making a lid (a sliding one) so I might not be able to, though...

Do you mean depth from back to front or how much water's in there?

Had a nice big lump of wood in there actually. Took it out because it wasn't benefiting anything in the tank and just became a nasty breeding ground for fish poop. Might put it back in when I've got more plants though. Thanks for the ideas!
i mean the depth.

java moss
Java Moss can sort of work as a carpeting plant, but it doesn’t work out for most people.

It’s working sort of well in my 10g:
DE7E7CFD-05F4-4C0D-BD70-CD242ADC5244.jpeg

Some people call it messy, but I kind of like the look of it.

I second the Vals and the Amazon Swords.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back