what is chloramine ..the real thing in ur tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

so mr v are you saying what i said is completly right

and not only what i said that chlorine gasses can trigger cancer ??

this got me very worried no extreamly

my mother has just got over cancer that doctors said they did not no why or how she got it maybe there are many reasons we dont no and what really happens to our stuff like water

Chlorine in water kills fishes in consentration 0,2-0,3 mg/l. However, over 0,003 mg/l could causes toxic symtoms.

if you have 1.5 nitrite in your tap water what could happen is this fatal enough to kill fishys mr v

as some 1 else in another thread said they had tested there tap water and that they found 1.5 nitrite in the tap water

Please explain. What is ammonium-ion? Will it show up on the test for ammonia? :look:

Ok ammonia is NH3 and the ammonium ion is NH4+, they actually interchange depending on the pH of the water. Ammonium will also readily mop up any chlorine (I'm presuming thats what chloramine is, I would have called it ammonium chloride.) Not sure whats in the kits (havent looked) so don't know whether ammonium is detected.

Ammonium-ion is NH4+. Ammonia = NH3

NH4NO3 = ammonium nitrate, using e.g. making explosives.
NH4Cl = ammonium chloride, ammonium salt, candies...
(NH4)2CO3
etc... They all contain ammonium-ion NH4+ (e.g. NH4+ + Cl- <=> NH4Cl)

Chlorine doesn't cause canser itself, but chlorine compounds like trihalomethanes that cause cancer. So if there is some organic compound in water, chlorine can form those trihalomethanes.

if you have 1.5 nitrite in your tap water what could happen is this fatal enough to kill fishys

I really don't know, it's quite high, because it should be 0,0 mg/l in aquarium. Fishes probably might tolarate it for a time, but methahemoglobin level probably rises and fishes become sick and eventually die if they don't get fresh, pure water. Usually there is lot of bacteria in aquarium and nitrite level should be go zero after changing water.

10-20 mg/l is clearly lethal. Most fishes suffer in value of 1mg/l or higher. Even 0,5mg/l is known to be lethal, e.g. to Discus. And many small ciclids don't tolerate nitrite at all.

So if you have high nitrite level, best way is to put water in a large tub and put some filter into that tub. Nitrification bacteria oxidize nitrite to nitrate. However, you can also do small water changes (10%) daily - measure, while/after changing water, nitrite level from your tank.

lithril said:
what chloramine is, I would have called it ammonium chloride

Ammonium chloride = NH4Cl.

choramine = chloro-amine = NH2Cl

thanks you guys but this is now way above my head i didnt do to well at skool you can prob tell from my spelling and science is a defoo nah nah

but wot i have found out is that in the uk AND usa we both use chloramine

and we rnt told that we use it so be aware i would

LOVE IF ALIEN ANNA COULD ADD A BIT TO HER ARTICLE ABOUT CHLORAMINE

i would make a proper state ment about it stating wot it is and why we use it whats in it

as i PERONALY THINK this is you MAIN MAJOR REASON FOR newtank syndrome

chloramine in water take 7 DAYS TO CLEAR HOW LONG DOES A CYCLE TAKE

????around 7 days week ? i was told most prob becus this is when all chloramine has gone an cleard from your tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back