FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

F

fish&chips

what is chloramine well find out now
NOW I HAVE ASKED MANY QUESTIONS ON HOW TO DO WATER CHANGES
AND BEEN GIVEN MANY DIFFRENT ANSWERS

most i agree with but you still not completly there

now when changing water for a fish tank ..........

if using tap water this contains chlorine or chloramine they are not together
(i dont think)well stated on the web

chloine was used untill they found that chloramine is better for water uses
now chlorine keeps it clean for humans to drink its fine
but using chloramine is much better
the reasons it lasts much longer so keeps it cleaner for longer
it takes out smells and any other nastys
and Chlorine forms trihalomethanes (THM)

not good

now many to many of you have told me as newbie when changing the water
leaving it for 24 hours is perfectly good enough

NO NO NO and er not at all

by leaving it 24 hours yes will take out chlorine BUT ITS NOT THERE
they now use Chloramine to keep water clean hehe
so by leaving it there does nothing at all UNLESS you leave it in sunlight open to air for 1 WEEK this will remove Chloramine

meaning yippe you got it your water is there 0nitrite 0 chlorine 0 chloramine
0 amonia cleanist wot ever possible
but then THIS IS A PROBLEM as you wil no if you have got everyyy thing out that cleansthe water wot is ? well nothing then your water is open to bacteria or fungus

wot is chloramine well find out now !!

OR AM I COMPLETLY WRONG IF I AM WELL THATS THE END OF ME HERE lololol

R U sure about this? I had thought that we did not use chloramine in the UK, I thought they used chlorine and aluminium sulphate instead? Was I wrong to think this? Where did you find out that they do use chloramine here in the UK? U got me worried now, I leave my cats water to stand for 24 hours to get rid of the chlorine but I thought that it was safe from chloramine because I was told by the water company they don't use it in the UK drinking water supply, did they lie to me?

Tam

(btw thats feline cats not fishy ones LOL) :lol:

i got it from a site all about that info

to the do we use chloramine sum 1 with a geoctied site i saw i dunno how the hell i found it was saying that
in the united staes its deffenet and he thinks its also used in the uk

but there diffrent water companies rnt there this i dont know

but IF YOU MEAN ON FISH THEN CHLORAMITE IS MADE FROM TO SOURCES

1BEING AMONIA 2 BEING CHLORINE

so if your tank has amonia and the water has chlorine = chloramine

i have to say pls pls be carefull with wot i say i have real bad learning disabiltys and im not good with full stops and grammer

so pls excuse this im also a very bad speller as i have short term memory loss from a car crash

so wot i say is all true .BUT may be put wrong
but i read it and it seems to be right to me

and i have another post about water changes AND sum 1 else aqua sumthing stated chloramine in my water =reason why im trying to find out if so then ALOT
of people are thinking there water is safe from chlorine it is bcus maybe we dont even use it

Fish&Chips, it does not really matter which of these chemicals is in the water supply. It is put in there for our safety and does not have any adverse effects on us or our pets. But fish are a different matter.

A good dechlorinator will remove both chemicals from the water before you add it to your fish tank. I use Wardley's Chlor Out. It costs only $2.49 for enough to treat 780 gallons of water. I don't know how this converts to your currency, but I'm sure you can see that it is cheap!

If you just do it you will never have to worry about making your water safe for your fish.

thanks inch but i use wardley water care also

and doesnt state it treats chloramine
and the thing saying its not that bad for us or animals ...i have found tha to much chloramine can be bad for pets i.e cats dogs

and most water conditioners i seen and have (I HAVE 2 wardleys and interpet)
i cheeked bottle and niether treats chloramine

and the thing is chloramine is MUCH worse then chlorine to fish its toxic poisen

but inch i no exactly wot im doing to my water now the thread is for the people who told me leaving my water for 24 hours is safe when its wrong and isnt should be a week atleast

im now using rain water collected in a 100 gallon tank .well ill give it try spose to be much better

and thanks for replying to both apreciate your opinion
its just to try helping others

me ill use week old water that is treated =100% clear it has to be doesnt it surly
leave to clear the chlorine and chloramine and treat it with drops to make sure its all gone

Fish&Chips,

I have just read your thread on Chlorine and Chloramine. You have gone to a great deal work to learn about this. Now I am curious about just which is in the water supply here.

But let me ask you this: Is the water that comes out of the sky clean? I know I would not use the rainwater here. As it rains it washes all the polution from the air and I do not know what kind of chemicals and toxins might be in it.

I'm glad to see that you are trying to help others here. That is the spirit that the forum is built on.

In UK chloramines are not considered safe for use in drinking water. Instead, they use chlorine gas dissolved in water (which forms hypochlorite). The reason they use chlorine is that in small quantities is isn't harmful and it dissipates rapidly into the air. The water companies advise that if you are concerned about your drinking water, pour it into a jug and leave the jug in the fridge or in the kitchen for 20 minutes before drinking it. Or you can use a carbon filter such as Britta.

For your reference, chloramines are a loose compound of chlorine and ammonia. Ammonia compounds are not considered safe for use in products for human consumption in the UK, but other countries disagree (however, if you live in USA and have seen those movies "Erin Brockovich" or "Class Action", you wouldn't have much faith in the drinking water there! ) :(

The reason chlorine and chloramines kill fish are not just through direct poisoning. You'd need quite a lot of chlorine to do that, except for sensitive fish like discus or pencilfish. The main reason it kills fish is that it kills the beneficial bacteria in your filter and gravel. Once those bacteria die off you then suffer an ammonia spike, followed by a nitrite spike, and it is this that kills your fish.

In addition, in water chloramines are only loosely bound together and in the warmth of the tank they seperate into chlorine and ammonia again. The chlorine kills your filter and the ammonia does what ammonia does and joins the ammonia produced from the fish's waste. We already know that ammonia kills fish - it blocks their respiration, rather as carbon dioxide does in humans.

Chloramine may not routinely be added to UK water supplies but it certainly is, (or at least up until I left the UK 5 years back), used on occasions. I remember Mid Southern Water, (the supplier to the area where I lived), put adverts in the paper saying they were going to dose the area with Chloramine because of some bug or other, (an isopod I think), in the pipes.

My aquatic society, (Tongham Aquarists), also received advanced warning in writing from the company.

They ran the Chloramine for several days, and advocated that tap water should not be used in aquaria for about a month.

For your reference, chloramines are a loose compound of chlorine and ammonia

I allready have stated this and most of the things you said APART FROM THE UK DOESNT USE chloramine

yes it does searching on the net for notes and guidlines on uk water it is used
the reason its better then chlorine

i will not keep repeting the same thigns over please just read about chlorine and chloramine and WOTS IN YOUR CONDITIONER

i have stated every thing you have plus more
which is the reason i have bought this up as you stated and anothr you didnt no chloramine is in our water so you should read it alll theres a lot i know but the reason is bcus its info from all over the web

chloramine is compound made from 2 thing 1 being amonia 1part and 5 parts nitrite now i said this about 6 times thats wot makes chloramine
but it can also be made from
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chloramine is also formed if the water supply is treated with sodium hypochlorite powder instead of chlorine gas.

It is used in certain areas to kill bacteria in tap water instead of chlorine. This is due to certain factors:(---in water yes tap water wat we drink and why read on

Chlorine forms trihalomethanes (THM)
Chloramine stays in the water for much longer than chlorine
No unpleasant odour or taste

my point is when changing woter wotever conditoning we add chloramine
i pasted a thread wots the best way for water change now i was told by more then 5 diffrent people by leaving water out 24 hours will be fine for my arguement OR MY OPINION IS THATS WRONG AS WE shouldnt be waiting treating for chlorine when its not there its chloramine and also some treatments add it

they use chlorine gas dissolved in water (which forms hypochlorite)
Chloramine is also formed if the water supply is treated with sodium hypochlorite

now if it even is treated with chlorine isnt it still adding chloramine
Because chlorine is bound as ((chloro-amine = chloramine.)) And when it's bound, it means that chorine isn't free in water. And when it isn't free, it doesn't evaporate either. It still evaporate, but much slower than free chlorine. It takes couple weeks to evaporate chlorine from water when it's bound and water is just in canister (not circulating etc..).

Pumping air through water (airpump + stone) helps chlorine to evaporate, because "changing gases" happens on the surface of water. So not only leaving water to stay help - it's slow process - but circulating water helps alot. However, only few of us have time or room to keep hundrets of liters of water in canisters at home So, it's much easier to buy natriumthiosulfate or commercial water conditioners.
dissipates rapidly into the air.
Because chlorine is bound as ((chloro-amine = chloramine.)) And when it's bound, it means that chorine isn't free in water. And when it isn't free, it doesn't evaporate either. post by MRV

this part the quote is from mrv post on getting dechloranetd water from tap

Lateral Line said:
Chloramine may not routinely be added to UK water supplies but it certainly is, (or at least up until I left the UK 5 years back), used on occasions. I remember Mid Southern Water, (the supplier to the area where I lived), put adverts in the paper saying they were going to dose the area with Chloramine because of some bug or other, (an isopod I think), in the pipes.

My aquatic society, (Tongham Aquarists), also received advanced warning in writing from the company.

They ran the Chloramine for several days, and advocated that tap water should not be used in aquaria for about a month.
Interesting - I can see why they might have to use chloramines for some bugs such as Cyptospiridium which is not killed by chlorine alone. However, it is interesting that they put notices in the paper and gave warnings to everyone - presumably the EU lets them use chloramines when the alternative (a nasty contagious stomach infection) is far worse.

As I use American dechlorinators which do remove chloramines, I wouldn't worry and I certainly wouldn't avoid doing a water change for a month! (weren't they aware that you could simply buy a chemical that removes chloramines? ).

I wonder if my Britta filter can remove chloramines?

yes i also found out that southern water board for kent did a major bug test or somthing using chloramine ithink the yr was 1999 4yrs ago

it was aproved and happend its in our drinking water thanks for your post Lateral Line

we must had the same water comapny the statements made by me are ALL FROM PAPERS FOUND ONLINE aprvoing the tests and so on

they also use chloramine in wales due to farmers using it alot

see when you really go deep down into things you allways find out stuff 1 you dont want to 2 stuff you didnt no

i think i kinda have gone off the subject of fish to WATER as well fish live in it so its the most important thing

i have also seen a pump you can by that connects to your water and removes chloramien from your water i dont know the full details of it

Interesting - I can see why they might have to use chloramines for some bugs such as Cyptospiridium which is not killed by chlorine alone.

Chloramine is also formed if the water supply is treated with sodium hypochlorite powder instead of chlorine gas.

It is used in certain areas to kill bacteria in tap water instead of chlorine. This is due to certain factors:

Chlorine forms trihalomethanes (THM)
Chloramine stays in the water for much longer than chlorine
No unpleasant odour or taste
The problem with this is:

Need higher levels of chloramine than chlorine
Chloramine is stable and very difficult to get rid of
sum reasons why they use it

hypochlorite treated with sodium hypochlorite
. Instead, they use chlorine gas dissolved in water (which forms hypochlorite)

hypochlorite which is chloramine

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back