What Is Best Way To Test Heaters And Filters For Electrical Fault

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
As title really, just made a really grisly discovery of one of my fish belly up. I stuck my hands in the water and felt pulsing, turned everything off and the pulsing stopped. Fish was sadly dead. I only did a wc this afternoon, so something had gone wrong in the last hour or so because he was fine at 5pm.

get a bucket and put the heater in and see if u feel the pulsing then do the same for the filter (remember that it might be both) get a volt/ammeter and open the one that is causing the problem and test all tle wires

I dont really fancy sticking my hand in a bucket with a faulty heater lol. I know there is some electrical gizmo that can read electrical pulses in water, but cant remember what its called, its mainly the filter I want to test, the heaters can both be binned, I ordered new ones yesterday (sods law).

There are various PAT tests that would hopefully answer this and most electricians will have the kit to do it if you have a friendly one available.

If I remember correctly (and I may not, it's not a field I'm all that up on) it's the leakage current test that would show a device like the ones we use to be dangerous, and isn't a standard part of PAT testing.

SeanTrollope said:
get a bucket and put the heater in and see if u feel the pulsing then do the same for the filter (remember that it might be both) get a volt/ammeter and open the one that is causing the problem and test all tle wires
Lol this could be quite deadly. Moreso depending on dc or ac current

Thanks Dr Rob its leakage testing I need,.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back