What's wrong with my fish and what should I do?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You should wait at least one month before adding new fish to a tank that has had a problem with fish dying. This gives the remaining fish a chance to recover from the problem (be it disease or water quality), and for things to settle down.

You can also quarantine new fish in a separate tank for 4 weeks. This means the new fish won't introduce diseases into the main display tank.

You should do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for one week after you lose a fish. This will reduce any disease organisms in the water and give the remaining fish the best chance of recovering.
Thank you. That's really helpful. I'll make sure I do that. Probably worth getting a quarantine tank too as I definitely don't want all this to happen again. Thank you for your help.

Those test strips are known to be inaccurate you really need the liquid tests by API to be sure
I'll buy that instead of strips. Thanks for the recommendation. They did liquid tests in the shop, but they said the water was perfect when it clearly wasn't, so I think it's much better if I do it myself. Thank you

I'll buy that instead of strips. Thanks for the recommendation. They did liquid tests in the shop, but they said the water was perfect when it clearly wasn't, so I think it's much better if I do it myself. Thank you
if in doubt with the liquid tests you can test twice/3 times and it wont really cost much compared to if you did 3 tests everytime with the strips

a worthwhile investment for both accuracy and finanicial reasons

There were two threads on the same subject. I have merged the two threads so that all the information and replies are now together in the same thread.

sounds like aquarium salt is your best bet here i would put in 1 rounded tea spoon per 5 gallons and leave them like that over night. Do a water change right when you wake up, put the salt in right before you go to bed. Make sure the water change is 50% so you get rid off enough salt, if the water change is less than 50% the fish may not like it.

The title of this thread is the title of the first thread. There is no way to find the title of the second now but it was very similar to this title.

The last post in the first thread was post #20 made on the 11 October. The second thread was started yesterday (18 October) with post #21.

We prefer members to continue posting in the same thread rather than start a new one when the subject is the same. This means that other members can see what everyone else has already said, and members who have already posted don't need to repeat their posts.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back