What Fishes You Would Never Have?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Any fish that looks like a worm -- ewww!!!!! They freak me out.

As another poster said, "big ugly cichlids." :lol: Not my thing.

Actually, I don't think I'd have big fish of any kind. Before I left the hobby years back I had angels and they were nice but just not my thing anymore. I like small fish and cannot see myself ever having a fish over 4 or 5 inches unless perhaps I was doing salt water -- even then I like the smaller fish like clowns etc.

I would also never have died or genetically altered fish like those Walmart "glofish" -- just ain't right IMO.

Any fish that looks like a worm -- ewww!!!!! They freak me out.

As another poster said, "big ugly cichlids." :lol: Not my thing.

Actually, I don't think I'd have big fish of any kind. Before I left the hobby years back I had angels and they were nice but just not my thing anymore. I like small fish and cannot see myself ever having a fish over 4 or 5 inches unless perhaps I was doing salt water -- even then I like the smaller fish like clowns etc.

I would also never have died or genetically altered fish like those Walmart "glofish" -- just ain't right IMO.
Heteropneustes_fossilis_17.jpg

Fossilis says: Did someone call me?

^ Had one when I was a kid, big mistake, had no idea it was poisonous. Got stung several times, painful stings. Threw it to the cat.
Fossilis info

What is with all the hate on Angel fish. Great fish!

Fish hates:
Livebearers!!! ARHH :angry: Is it just me or are they really, really, really thick. They are surrounded by glass all day all night, but they still swim into it all day all night. No love what so ever.
That's about it really. Rant Over

Westwood

Mollies... grrrr

Fish hates:
Livebearers!!! ARHH :angry: Is it just me or are they really, really, really thick. They are surrounded by glass all day all night, but they still swim into it all day all night. No love what so ever.

Westwood

Mollies... grrrr
Angelfish are very territorial, may eat neons, may fight with each other too. Require tall tanks, which limits your choice of fish to slower swimming species.

Egg layers also do this (danios, some tetras). Why they do it, I don't know.

fish that make me sick
id sharks
chinease algea eaters
and (shudder) mollies

p.s. crossfire im up to send my kuhlis :shifty:

i do like
rays
khulis
corys
bgk
and elephant nosed fish :good:

Fish hates:

Westwood

Mollies... grrrr
Angelfish are very territorial, may eat neons, may fight with each other too. Require tall tanks, which limits your choice of fish to slower swimming species.

Egg layers also do this (danios, some tetras). Why they do it, I don't know.

And no other Cichlids are! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As Cichlids go, Angels are very passive!

NEVER
Goldfish
Piranha
Sharks
Oscars

One day (Hopefully)
Discus
Breeding pair of Gouramis
Bettas!

Edit: I never want to go to the salty side either!

And no other Cichlids are! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As Cichlids go, Angels are very passive!
Well, not like Cichlids are something I fancy.
I've had baby angels, didn't get trouble with them, but didn't know about filtration OR their size (and no, I didn't buy them, I received them and I was a 7 year old so no idea about them) and they died eventually. Though I wasn't fascinated by them, they were white with a black vertical stripe on their body.
NEVER
Goldfish
Piranha
Sharks
Oscars

One day (Hopefully)
Discus
Breeding pair of Gouramis
Bettas!

Edit: I never want to go to the salty side either!

I might try salt water some day... when/if I'll have my own house. And first thing I'd go for would be clownfish. They look cool.

Goldfish, blech, big ugly cichlids, blech, saltwater fish, too hard and bad for already depleted oceans, and snakeheads.

As a Maryland native, I hate snakeheads. HATE THEM.

Saltwater fish- not unless their captive bred, granted most arent... but still at least theres an effort being made (such as ORA)

There are a lot of fish I seem to not fancy in a tank.
Shoaling species aren't my thing though so this is mostly the reason for a lot of the "Do not want"s.

Tetras - I have yet to see a tetra that I'd like so much as to get a shoal of them. Neons were somewhat nice... but too fragile and most of their body is transparent.

A lot of gouramis. If they don't have a boring color, they have a strange face. Only exception: I like the sparkling gourami because it has a shiny blue on it. But I doubt I'll ever get to keep any since I'm mostly a swordtail fan.

Bettas (the aggressive variety) - had 4 of these little trouble makers, lost a bunch of zebra danios to them and some guppies ended up wounded. I didn't know much about them back then, but odd that they didn't fight with each other when they got put together but in a different tank. They seemed to know how to do teamwork even when it came to food. Had a grudge on them for killing all those fish though. Exception to bettas: I'd keep betta imbellis as a pair or as many as I could have without trouble in my tank, but again the swordtails seem to win me over.

Pygmy cories - don't get me wrong, they seem kind of cute and all, but waay too small, not colourful, need to be in shoals and are less likely to have a personality. Not much to get out of them except that you can have a lot of them in a smaller tank. They need 10+ mates. Would be hard to keep an eye on all of them.

Endlers - not enough variety, too small, females look boring. Somewhat nice but not my thing.

Puffers - they seem kind of odd and I've heard they are aggressive.

Any gigantic fish (20+ cm) - not willing to get a huge tank yet and even if I had a huge one, I'd probably stock it with Hoplos, swordtails or betta imbellis.

Cichlids - while I like their color, they seem too difficult to raise / keep and most grow big.

Fossilis - had enough of that sting when I was a kid. My hand hurt a lot after getting stung by it (hence the reason I fed it to the cat back then).

Plecos - too odd for me, may be fun to train into coming at the surface to suck your hand though.
Messy - or so I heard.

Fancy Goldfish - too difficult to keep, most die due to swim bladder even if you try to cure it. Messy definitely. I've had a golden variety, silver and black moor, all with 2 tails. Dad loves them but I'm not too fond of the poor critters. I'd much rather have the natural goldfish.

And oh yeah, angelfish. Just not my type of fish. Had tiny ones, couldn't take care of them but they would have needed a bigger tank anyway than the tiny 40L that came with them.
Cichlids are not difficult to raise at all :)

Coldwater fish

snakeheads

arowana

piranha
Take it u don't like predatory fish then :)

Goldfish, blech, big ugly cichlids, blech, saltwater fish, too hard and bad for already depleted oceans, and snakeheads.

Ugly cichlids?? Nothing ugly about them.. And snakeheads.... Have you ever seen a channa bleheri? They r lovely :)

Definitely any poorly bred Betta such as rosetails + deformed shaped bettas, along with parrot fish....... Typically any poorly bred fish with attributes that effect them negatively

There are a lot of fish I seem to not fancy in a tank.
Shoaling species aren't my thing though so this is mostly the reason for a lot of the "Do not want"s.

Tetras - I have yet to see a tetra that I'd like so much as to get a shoal of them. Neons were somewhat nice... but too fragile and most of their body is transparent.

A lot of gouramis. If they don't have a boring color, they have a strange face. Only exception: I like the sparkling gourami because it has a shiny blue on it. But I doubt I'll ever get to keep any since I'm mostly a swordtail fan.

Bettas (the aggressive variety) - had 4 of these little trouble makers, lost a bunch of zebra danios to them and some guppies ended up wounded. I didn't know much about them back then, but odd that they didn't fight with each other when they got put together but in a different tank. They seemed to know how to do teamwork even when it came to food. Had a grudge on them for killing all those fish though. Exception to bettas: I'd keep betta imbellis as a pair or as many as I could have without trouble in my tank, but again the swordtails seem to win me over.

Pygmy cories - don't get me wrong, they seem kind of cute and all, but waay too small, not colourful, need to be in shoals and are less likely to have a personality. Not much to get out of them except that you can have a lot of them in a smaller tank. They need 10+ mates. Would be hard to keep an eye on all of them.

Endlers - not enough variety, too small, females look boring. Somewhat nice but not my thing.

Puffers - they seem kind of odd and I've heard they are aggressive.

Any gigantic fish (20+ cm) - not willing to get a huge tank yet and even if I had a huge one, I'd probably stock it with Hoplos, swordtails or betta imbellis.

Cichlids - while I like their color, they seem too difficult to raise / keep and most grow big.

Fossilis - had enough of that sting when I was a kid. My hand hurt a lot after getting stung by it (hence the reason I fed it to the cat back then).

Plecos - too odd for me, may be fun to train into coming at the surface to suck your hand though.
Messy - or so I heard.

Fancy Goldfish - too difficult to keep, most die due to swim bladder even if you try to cure it. Messy definitely. I've had a golden variety, silver and black moor, all with 2 tails. Dad loves them but I'm not too fond of the poor critters. I'd much rather have the natural goldfish.

And oh yeah, angelfish. Just not my type of fish. Had tiny ones, couldn't take care of them but they would have needed a bigger tank anyway than the tiny 40L that came with them.
Cichlids are not difficult to raise at all :)

Coldwater fish

snakeheads

arowana

piranha
Take it u don't like predatory fish then :)

Ugly cichlids?? Nothing ugly about them.. And snakeheads.... Have you ever seen a channa bleheri? They r lovely :)

Not in a 20 gallon, where I like to keep swordtails too. I'd need a bigger tank for them and I don't really like most of them, I don't know what they are missing though, can't quite put my finger on it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back