What Fishes You Would Never Have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Livebeaers I despised them until yesterday when I got some cherry shrimp and found a livebeaer fry in amongst the mix. I have called him/her "Pip."

If it's a she, I'm taking bets on whether or not she's already pregnant :lol:

uncleloach.jpg

Count me in! :rofl:

I'd never ever get any kind of barb - mostly because they can be so agressive.

Angel fish - for the same reason.

Pleco - just plain ugly IMO

Piranha - why would anyone want to get anything that could chew your hand off if it felt inclined

clown loach - too big

Betta - I just don't see the facination - sorry

Chiclids (I've spelt that wrong I think - it's too early for me lol) not keen on them I'm afraid

and I'm really sorry Crossfire (and the rest of you too) but anything snake-like, worm-like or anything like that is NOT going in my tank ... *shiver*

Parrot fish - Just too nasty.. Pretty, but nasty (actually.. any Cichlid lol)
Congo Tetra - Have had a bad experience with them, now think they're ugly and nasty lol
Any Malawi - Just no.
Silver Dollars - Not actually sure why but I just REALLY don't like them :/

This thread is so full of WIN - lol you guys crack me up.

We'll I'm obviously a lover of the betta but fish I wouldn't keep are basically all of the "big boys" I'll never be able to have a mahoosive tank and I do love a nice shoal of little fellas! I also don't like the fish and plecos that have that prehistoric look to them. What can I say, I'm a sucker for pretty colours!

This thread is so full of WIN - lol you guys crack me up.

We'll I'm obviously a lover of the betta but fish I wouldn't keep are basically all of the "big boys" I'll never be able to have a mahoosive tank and I do love a nice shoal of little fellas! I also don't like the fish and plecos that have that prehistoric look to them. What can I say, I'm a sucker for pretty colours!
I like the betta colors too, but most of the time you have to choose between a nice looking betta or more kinds of fish. You cannot have 2 of them because they might kill each other (even male and female). They are said to have a short life (some say they can live up to 8 years but idk how true this is).
And they want high temperatures so can't keep them with some of the fish that like a bit colder water.

Iv got loads I don't like, 1 st off marine don't interest me at all... Then there is...
Angel fish
Bettas
Neons
Dwarf cichlids
Tetras
Gourami
Guppies
Discus
Common plecs
Clown loaches
Flowerhorns (owned 3 blue diamond flowerhorns at £75 each but still, they probably the only larger cichlid I don't like apart from Severums)
Sharks (apart from ID sharks and emperor sharks)
Catfish (apart from red tailed)

I love....
Piranhas
Arowanas
Most snakeheads
Larger cichlids
Ret tailed catfish
Birchirs
Rays
Puffers
Corys
Plecs (not common)

It's not really a choice for me, because I like the types of fish that can live with my betta - win win :) I gather their lifespan is around 5 years
Also, they can live at many temperatures. I have my tank at 24-25C.

If we all liked the same things, it would be a boring world indeed
yes.gif

For me almost (well all to be honest) cichlids are a no go, I have had red jewels before, pretty to look at but never again aggro lightly blighters, my sister had convicts once that promptly bred and then proceded to attack every other tank inhbitant. Plus my sister also had oscars once, nice enough fish, intelligent and fun to hand feed but no good for mixing with other fish, and I don't appreciate a fish that will take a chomp out of me just for doing some maintenace in their tank. I have also kept angels before but never again they just don't do anything for me.

I wont have a Barramundi, they just get too big and really need dams rather than tanks same with Murray Cod and Sleepy Cod. I guess I should add any tank buster fish here including common Pleco's simply because they get too big for the standard tank.

Never again will I have Chinese Algea Eaters, nasty little critters and much nicer other fish friendly cleaner fish to be had.

Wont have most tetras to prone to developing white spot as quickly as a preschool kid will catch a cold, and then dropping dead for no apparent reason.

Probably wont have fancy goldfish although I have some lovely hardy Comets in my pond.

Forgot a couple I wont have any sharks, silver, red tailed or any other type. Also wont have barbs ever again, they are pretty but too nippy. And even though I quite like pearl danios I probably wont have them again either.

Can't get dyed fish I Australia so thats a good thing to miss out on I think.

I love my Cory's and my loaches, as well as my and shrimp so the fish I keep need to get along with these guys. I also love my Siamese fighters, even if they can be a pain with getting correctly sexed females. And even though they breed like rabbits I am quite fond of my husbands guppies, we have good hardy stock with good colour that is saught after by one of my local pet shops, so we are lucky in being able to sell the offspring relatively easily.

And last but not least I wont have a piranha, simply because they aren't allowed into the country along with around a hundred types of shrimp. If Piranhas where allowed in I still wouldn't have them to shy, but if I could have the shrimp I would have them in a shot.

If I thought the goldfish I had were inconvenient and somewhat struggling to swim... when I saw the Ranchu goldfish, I was sad for those more than the ones I've had.
Look at the poor critters. :( Doomed since birth.
Goldfish-Ranchu-2.jpg

lionhead.jpg

blackranchu.jpg

b4.jpg

The "tankbuster" fish that should not be in the hobby at all IMO, such as...

Red Tail Catfish
Pangasius catfish
Tinfoil Barbs
Oscars (unless you can prove you have a 75g for it alone or a 150+g for a pair or a "community")
Flagtail Semiprochilodus (lovely fish but they are very active, reach ~30cm even in aquaria and are schoolers travelling up the Amazon)
Goliath Tigerfish (River Monsters, >1m of pure predatory aggression)

DANIOS! I hate um'

They look like baitfish. I tried to add (6) Zebra Danios to my 36 gallon tank & they reeked havoc on the surface of the water. Boring, and not suitable for a true community tank, at least from my experience. I returned them the same day I bought them.

Most Cichlids just because I watch my tanks to help me relax and t here's nothing relaxing about every fish trying to dominate the rest of the fish and I couldn't bring myself to feed live fish as food either. My older brother had a Cichlid tank with a huge Oscar, huge Green Terror, a medium sized Convict and two small Jack Dempseys that hid all the time fearing for their lives. That was a stressful tank to watch, I felt like stealing those fish from him so I could separate them into their own tanks. Cichlids to fishkeepers are like Pitbulls to dog lovers. Little men keep them so they can feel tough because their fish/dogs are mean. Y'know, the type of guy that's 5 feet tall so he drives a big pickup truck...................sorry for the rant. :shifty:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back