What Fishes You Would Never Have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LOL Ruskull! I used to work in fish shops and I saw those kind of guys all the time coming in to buy their feeder goldfish. Seriously, I don't get it. But, I just want to point out not all big cichlid owners are like that.
As for fish I wouldn't have: Caecilian (actually an amphibian.) Why? It looks like an earthworm. Exodon Paradoxus- most aggressive fish I've ever seen. Goldfish-just messy and boring.

LOL Ruskull! I used to work in fish shops and I saw those kind of guys all the time coming in to buy their feeder goldfish. Seriously, I don't get it. But, I just want to point out not all big cichlid owners are like that.
As for fish I wouldn't have: Caecilian (actually an amphibian.) Why? It looks like an earthworm. Exodon Paradoxus- most aggressive fish I've ever seen. Goldfish-just messy and boring.

Yeah, I shouldn't stereotype all Cichlid keepers like that but I fail to see the fascination myself. My brother isn't a little guy either, he's actually quite big but he's the type of guy that owns Doberman's & Rotwielers.............. :rolleyes:

I returned my zebra danios the same day too. Only similar ones I've liked are glowlight danios. But I ended up returning them too.

Oh dear! Careful with the generalisations lol - walking a dangerous line there.

(and rotties are fantastic dogs! :p)

agreed, as are dobermans and staffy's if they are brought up properly and taught to be non-agressive - just about any breed of dog will be nasty if it is brought up to be that way. I know a labrador that killed one dog and seriously maimed another just because they went to say hello to it

Not sure cichlids can be trained in the same way though :lol:

Anyone who knows me, know I LOVE my big cichlids.

And yes I have the large tanks for them. My oscars are my babies

But there is a such thing as too big. I wont keep anything bigger than 15 inches, minus my common plec. I love him to pieces.

Other fish I dont like and will not keep:
Goldfish
Dyed Fish
Parrot fish

Any other genetical modified/deformed fish

But one thing that I can agree on that someone else said is that you can never really say that you wont ever own a fish. I never liked angelfish, but then I recued one. It was kept in a vase and its fins are bent and deformed...ugly little thing, but so fascinating to watch. PIck up two more angelfish yesterday so he had friends.

agreed, as are dobermans and staffy's if they are brought up properly and taught to be non-agressive - just about any breed of dog will be nasty if it is brought up to be that way. I know a labrador that killed one dog and seriously maimed another just because they went to say hello to it

Rotties & Doberman's are great dogs, but many owners get them for all the wrong reasons is all I'm saying. Again, not all owners of course.

But there is a such thing as too big. I wont keep anything bigger than 15 inches, minus my common plec. I love him to pieces.

Goldfish
Dyed Fish
Parrot fish

But one thing that I can agree on that someone else said is that you can never really say that you wont ever own a fish. I never liked angelfish, but then I recued one. It was kept in a vase and its fins are bent and deformed...ugly little thing, but so fascinating to watch. PIck up two more angelfish yesterday so he had friends.

I am well aware that you are not one of those Cichlid owners I was talking about. :lol: You are a dedicated fishkeeper and your Cichlids should be happy to have such an owner.

But, I just came back from PetCo and some moron had brought in two 15 inch long Oscars in very bad shape. The staff said they were brought in with Hole in the Head disease & the albino one was blind. They were kept together in a very small tank that was hardly ever cleaned, the owners admitted. Luckily that particular PetCo accepts "basket cases" like these & they nursed them back to health & sold them for $10 each. They were purchased yesterday.............

can i add convicts to my list. they just dont appeal to me

Goldfish
Dyed Fish
Parrot fish

I am well aware that you are not one of those Cichlid owners I was talking about. :lol: You are a dedicated fishkeeper and your Cichlids should be happy to have such an owner.

But, I just came back from PetCo and some moron had brought in two 15 inch long Oscars in very bad shape. The staff said they were brought in with Hole in the Head disease & the albino one was blind. They were kept together in a very small tank that was hardly ever cleaned, the owners admitted. Luckily that particular PetCo accepts "basket cases" like these & they nursed them back to health & sold them for $10 each. They were purchased yesterday.............
Oh I know, I was only saying that I love big fish as there are so many here that do not like big fish lol. The only reason that I have a community tank with lil tetras and stuff is cause that is where I started in the hobby. Seems only right to have at least one of my 7 tank be a community lol.

BUt I know what you mean about the LFS. I went to mine yesterday and I know the aquatics guy there. Really awesome and knows his stuff. Well, he was off yesterday and I could tell instantly. Dead fish in the tanks...there was a baby oscar dead, eyes eaten out and I told the manager on shift that if they didnt get someone over there pronto i was going to report the store to corporate. That and I am going to have a talk with the main fish guy about what goes on there when he is off.

Good for you! I depends what day I go there but there's a few good fish folks working at my local PetCo. In fact we re homed 20+ Molly Fry from my son's tank and all but 4 have been sold so far. The sad part is that I noticed the huge sickly Oscars in the same tank! Fortunately for the fry those Oscars were too sick to be a threat and now they are sold. ;)

The Cichlids that I do like a lot are the Electric Yellows, Kribs, German/Bolivian Rams and Apistos. Those are all the smaller, somewhat less agressive types........

I like them all. I just don't like aggressive fish in peaceful community tank.

I'm willing to give any fish a try, but I'm a little turned away from puffer fishes, they seem to be nice to keep in their personalities and curiosity, but I don't think I could handle the constant need to feed them live foods to keep their beaks from over growing.

I have to say piranhas. They're kinda cool, but they have little to no distinction or personality.

Most reactions

trending

Back