What Fishes You Would Never Have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Iiriva

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but...

We all have our favorite fishes, right? We adore them, and have them again and again. But, what are the types of fish you wouldn't take at all, or again, and why?

This is just a gallup type of thingy. I know that people prefer different kinds of fishes, so don't take hard feelings if someone else doesn't like your personal favorites at all and vice versa! :)

For starters, I'll give ou my list. Remember, no hard feelings, because these are personal preferences, and I'm only asking out of interest in different preferences. Play nice.

Bettas
I know that many people like them and find them pretty. I only find them boring and useless. Never had one.

Goldfish, all types.
Too normal, and way often seen kept in a wrong way. Nah, too plain. Never had any.

Platy
I've had these few times during my many, many years of fishkeeping. Boring, sickly, small and breed way too much. Nah.

Guppy
I remember that we had these when I was a child. Wouldn't have them myself, though, because of being "too normal" and boring, and small! They are pretty, though, but still, nah.

Angel fishes
My parents used to have few. I'm just not interested in them at all, don't know why, actually.

Let's hear yours! :cool:

Im not really into bigger cichlids, prefer a variety of fish, one fish in a tank just bores me a little

Anything that only comes out at night (like some synodontis). What is the point if you never see them?

Goldfish, blech, big ugly cichlids, blech, saltwater fish, too hard and bad for already depleted oceans, and snakeheads.

As a Maryland native, I hate snakeheads. HATE THEM.

Goldfish, blech, big ugly cichlids, blech, saltwater fish, too hard and bad for already depleted oceans, and snakeheads.

As a Maryland native, I hate snakeheads. HATE THEM.

snakeheads are evil ugglee looking beggars URGH

Eels of any kind they freak me out, loaches including kuhlis as they look like eels (sorry crossfire)
Snakeheads because as the name suggests they remind me of snakes,Piranhas, large catfish, anything big tbh

Oh, I have loads :blush:

Black skirt/widow tetras
my mum loves these and kept them for years, and I just cannot see the attraction. Grumpy, miserable looking faces, nippy, and they loose their only redeeming feature (the nice velvet black of rear end) as they grow.

Chinese sucking loach
dull brown, mud coloured, nasty, nasty habit of sucking holes in other fish

piranha
again, pig ugly and with no redeeming features, like a nice personality (unlike, for instance, oscars) and horrible habits (like eating each other, and smashing into the tank glass at the slightest thing).

All and any 'balloon' fish
I wouldn't own a bulldog either, for the same reasons; I just feel so sorry for them; fish are beautiful as they are, they don't need messing around with like that (colour varieties I don't mind as I don't feel they negatively impact the fish's health to any great degree). Balloon rams make me especially sad, as the normal wild ram is one of the most wonderful things in nature.

mollies
I don't really have a reason for this one, it's bit irrational! I just don't like them; never have, never will :lol:

long finned oscars
no, just no. It's like looking at a (sober) 17 stone prop forward forced into a tutu.

marines
I know a lot of people seem to want marine set ups more than anything else; even, it seems, to seeing keeping fresh as part of a 'practice run' , but I've never wanted one. I think it's the iridescence of tropicals that I like; that neon/metallic glow, and marine fish don't have that really; they're a lot more 'matte'

As liriva says, no offence meant if your favourite's on my list! We're all different and it would be dull if everyone liked the same things :)

Angel fish.
My dad used to have them when I was a kid and his were really nasty.
Put me off keeping them myself.

Angel fish.
My dad used to have them when I was a kid and his were really nasty.
Put me off keeping them myself.

That' probably explains why I don't like them too! Nasty little devils. :D

Von rio tetras for being weak sickly little losers.

Goldfish. If you have seen them sucking up mouthfuls of gravel you'd know why. Nasty looking and big ugly gills. :sick:

Piranhas.

All dyed fish. I would add genetically altered here, but that is too broad a statement.

It's most 'tank busting' and especially large fish for me. I prefer smaller tanks than they need and I have noticed that many of these fish have sparser tanks, often with little planting, whereas I prefer heavily planted tanks. IMHO, I think some of the huger fish can be quite ugly - just my opinon of course. Sort of moody looking. Not my thing - sorry to anyone who loves these kinds of guys! I'm a more betta/killi/cory/colourful shoalers type of person I think :rolleyes:

Black mollies (Not my kind of fish)
Dwarf Gouramis (Ugly Imo)
Some platies that grow larger, smaller ones are ok
Bettas
Glofish

I have to add dyed fish, too. And parrot fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back