What Fish Would You Add To This Set-up?

Athena

Fish Herder
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
1,620
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, UK
I want to add a few more fish to one of my tanks but unsure what to go for. I know that if I just turn up at the aquarium centre on Saturday the young assistant there will probably sell me just about anything and tell me "yes, they are ok together!" But listening to her advice in the past has caused me so many problems that I want to make sure I get it right this time.

Ok - so in this tank I have just one rainbow shark (not fully grown - about 3" inches roughly), one female guppy (who is missing her friends I think - they were eaten by something in the larger tank so I moved her out) and two ADFs.

The tank is 24"x18"x12" and holds 71 litres I think.

Obviously I need to add a few more guppies to keep madam happy - but what else?

My rainbow shark is friendly enough with the guppy and frogs - but he's very active and bombs around the tank like he's in a constant race!

I don't want any fish that spawn every few weeks as that will be a problem with him in the tank.

Any ideas - something that will make for a peaceful set-up without being too boring?
 
hi guppys spawn about every 4-5weeks and breed breed breed, if you dont want this then get all females,,

say 5 females plus your 1
1 redtail
2 adfrogs
6 hatchets [URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Characin...arbled-Hatchet/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/Characin...arbled-Hatchet/[/URL]
or 6 lepaord danios [URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Cyprinid.../Leopard-Danio/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/Cyprinid.../Leopard-Danio/[/URL]


they will probably breed as females from the petshop are pregnant usually. and dont need males.

i would get rid of the female u got and keep all males much better looking as well1 :good:
 
maybe a male Siamese fighting fish or a small species of gourami, perhaps sparkling or indian banded gourami.
 
guppies can store sperm for up to 6 months so will still give birth, if you want to avoid births then get all males, but they can be quite aggressive to each other so you'd have to get quite a few to even out the aggression
 
Ember tetra's, pair of ram's and some cory's would be my suggestion.
 
Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

I've just been Googling to find out a bit more info and see pics of the fish mentioned. Really like the look of those sparkling gouramis and ember Tetras and from what I've read they are peaceful fish.

The hatchets looked interesting but I was a bit put off when I read that they are prone to white spot and other disease. I went through all that upset with the two clown loaches I bought and lost both of them to white spot (I'm sure they must have had it when I bought them as I noticed the spots on them the day after I put them in my tank and all my other fish were fine), so I'm trying to avoid anything too delicate.

Re the guppies - aw, I couldn't get rid of my female as she was one of the first fish I bought and has outlived her 4 guppy friends (they were eaten by other fish although I don't know what). Yes, I have heard that they breed regularly but I guess any fry wouldn't last too long in the tank with my rainbow shark around - he is the greediest fish ever. And if a few did happen to survive it wouldn't be a problem as I do have the two other tanks I could always pop a few guppies in and any females I don't want I can give to my aquatic centre. But, yes, I do agree that the males are much more attractive so will try to eventually weedle out the females and leave just males.

Any idea how long a guppy lives for (if in stable water conditions)?

Thanks again for the input - I now have a list of fish that I can take with me on Saturday. Can't wait!

Athena
 
guppies can live to around 4-5 years if kept properly!

Thanks OS - didn't realise they could live that long! (Well, providing they don't get eaten by bigger fish!) I've no idea who ate my other guppies. I went on holiday and left someone in charge of feeding but I think they were not feeding on time (maybe even forgot a few times?) so the guppies were obviously made a meal of! I'm thinking maybe the male severum might be the guilty party...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top