What Fish Should I Breed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jebbwardo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking for a fish to breed in a 120 litre tank I want a colourful and a fish that won't eat it's own eggs the majority of the time, I want a fish that sells for quite a bit too was going to breed electric blue rams but I don't really know yet could someone give me some advice.

image.jpg
My tank! Ph 7.6. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and everything is fine just need the fish now.

Several issues at once there.

To start with your last point, disposing of fry can be a challenge unless they're rare or very popular. Very popular ones tend to be bred frequently so you won't sell them for a lot, rare ones are rare for a reason, so you either have initial outlay to buy the parents or there's a knack to breeding them that you'll need to master.

To give you an example, I have a tank full of Thoricthys Ellioti. I've shifted a few but still have a tank out of action with 30+ fish in it. One local shop is vaguely interested but they've not exactly snatched my hand off. Several others gave an outright no and several offered to take them off my hands for nothing.

My best advice is to start at the selling end and see what you'll be able to shift, check local shop policies and look at whether you're willing to get into shipping. Once you've found something eye catching that you think you can see a route to sell, and can find a source of, sort a set to breed it. Doesn't mean that you will but does mean that you wont go through heartache trying to shift them.

Personally I suspect you're onto a good line with dwarf cichlids, but make sure you breed from good parents if you want good prices.

I have spoken to my LPS and they get electric blues in for £7 not adding VAT and sell them for around £18 each and I can buy them for £11 from someone local who has a fish licence so if I get say 1 male 2-3 females? And breed them then sell to LFS for around £5 a fish I could make easy profit. But the only thing is that I've been told the electric blue rams die really easily so I don't know what to my water is really good just got a slight algae problem recently I built it for the rams as I have always wanted them but haveing second thought know.

One fish that might be worth breeding is smiling acara (laetacara curviceps) they are very hard to find near me and are in shops maybe once a year.
That might be just near me but i've phoned around surrounding areas and its the same story.

Are you assuming that the LFS will take them, or have they said that they will? That's where I've fallen over in the past, they'd love to get a cheap supply, but various house rules say that they won't.

They said they would take them and no one really has them where I live not many fish keepers know how to cycle a tank in my area so I think quite a few people would buy them as there a good looking fish. Ill google the smiling acara now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back