🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Smelliot

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 134
Not the best angle for ID can you get some more pics? Im thinking some kind of Convict relative like a Cutteri Cichlid but the broad stripes are really throwing me....

Interesting looking fish though :)

Wills

Sure I'll try get some more this afternoon I'll post them right up :) Someone suggested he was a yellow cichlid I'm not sure about that one

Wow I really did not get that from the back angle - its a Green Severum. They are a big fish when adult.

Might be worth sharing a bit of the background on the fish - where they came from etc. I worry the small tank has stunted them - I think its a female but when they settle down it will be easier to be sure but no facial markings and rounded dorsal fin.

Do you know how old they are?

Severums are one of my favorite fish and have great character - they sometimes take a while to settle in especially when larger, they are well known to sulk when their surroundings change for a few days.

What other fish do you have with them?

Wills

All I know is that I got him yesterday in a small 30L tank he was all by himself, I've now switched him into my 240L tank.
I have no clue on his age sorry.

-He's now in a tank with black widow tetras, bristlenoses, rainbows, a gourami and some silver dollars. As I could not leave him in such a small tank.

I believe that may be a Texas cichlid or "Rio Grande" cichlid, but someone with a better understanding of cichlids (like Wills) would be better for confirmation.

Thanks it looks like it, back to the green severum, would it be safe to keep in the tank I've currently put it into? Or should I rehome it?

Yep Eagles got it right :) I think it might actually be an Escondo Texas which is quite a rarity - the great thing about this type of Texas is they are not too aggressive and it is possible to keep them with other fish.

When you say you got the Severum from the store how long had he been in the 30 liter for? Was he rehomed from elsewhere? 240 liiters is the bare minimum for a Green Severum IMO ideally a workable minimum is over 300 liters with a good footprint. They are huge fish when adult comparable to a large diner plate - Rotkiels and Mouth Brooding Severums stay a little smaller and work well in a 240 so could be worth looking at - I think if this guy has been in a small tank upto this size before she was at the store as well though they could be stunted so it might be worth keeping them for a little while to see how they grow they should make half an inch per month in a healthy tank. Or you could get a bigger tank :D which I would reccomend if you like big fish like this and the Tex ;)

Wills

Wills said:
Yep Eagles got it right
smile.png

yahoo.gif

I was a little unsure after I posted that.  Thanks for the confirmation!

Hmmm well I bought the tank second hand super small for a betta, the lady said the tank hand't been cleaned in 3 months and he seemed lonely and might need a friend, I'd say he'd been in the tank for approx a year.

- Thanks for the help :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back