What Could Go In A 2 Foot Viv?

Hey miss wiggle,

He/she looks super cute , good choice and I hope you enjoy having him :good:
Just one quick suggestion, the substrate looks like beech chips (ignore me if they're not!) as your little guy is a lunge feeder he's rather likely to ingest some while eating sooner or later.
If you are going to use substrate at all, very fine smooth sand is the safest as at least if it is ingested it has the best chance of just passing through with no trouble :)

Best wishes!
Lotte***

we discussed substrate at some length with the guy in the shop, he said whatever he tells us to get someone will tell us it's not right and from what I see that's right.

we went through all the different options and the benefits and drawbacks and we're happy with our choice.

we will pay close attention to him and see if he does end up eating them though, he hasn't so far and we've been watching him eat a lot!!

we discussed substrate at some length with the guy in the shop, he said whatever he tells us to get someone will tell us it's not right and from what I see that's right.

except for bog roll :p no one can object to the great bogroll.

or slate tiles. slate tiles are gooood.

lol, ok maybe bogroll, but i think the principal is still right, everyone has substrate preferences and there are arguments for and against all of them, just have to weigh it all up and make your choice.

lol, ok maybe bogroll, but i think the principal is still right, everyone has substrate preferences and there are arguments for and against all of them, just have to weigh it all up and make your choice.

yeah.. people say sand is the worst, people say sand is the best...

all down to preference, really.

but yeh... bog roll is deffo the easiest and safest.

hm... dye some bog roll green?! lol :hyper:

Aww he looks really cute, :wub:

Haha when he's sat on top of that log like that he looks like he's saying "Oh yeah, this is *my* viv, allllll mine :shifty:" :lol:

The choice is of course your's missis, I just think if you approach the question logically and consider the (very real) dangers one by one, you might see that smaller particulate substrate is a safer choice.

If he accidently ate a gobful of sand, chances are it'd all pass through no trouble, if he eats even one big, square, rigid beech chip it's a trip to the vets without a doubt. If he lives on bogroll like Esfa mentioned, hey you might even have one of those special leos that manages to eat that!!!

It's simply risk management. Just offering 8 years trade experience and 1 year working in ex-situ conservation, you're under no obligation to listen to a word of it! :good:
Lotte***

got a new camera yesterday so should have some decent quality pics of him in the next few days :good:

Aww he looks really cute, :wub:

Haha when he's sat on top of that log like that he looks like he's saying "Oh yeah, this is *my* viv, allllll mine :shifty:" :lol:

yeah for sure!! Ian say's it just looks like he's saying 'I am master of all I survey'

The choice is of course your's missis, I just think if you approach the question logically and consider the (very real) dangers one by one, you might see that smaller particulate substrate is a safer choice.

If he accidently ate a gobful of sand, chances are it'd all pass through no trouble, if he eats even one big, square, rigid beech chip it's a trip to the vets without a doubt. If he lives on bogroll like Esfa mentioned, hey you might even have one of those special leos that manages to eat that!!!

It's simply risk management. Just offering 8 years trade experience and 1 year working in ex-situ conservation, you're under no obligation to listen to a word of it! :good:
Lotte***

I appreciate your thoughts Lotte, the other argument being if he gets a beech chipping in his mouth he's clever enough to spit it out and not swallow it (saw him do this yesterday) with sand he'd definatley swallow it, and if he swallows too much you can end up with impaction which is very very nasty. :unsure:

tbh you may have experience but I don't know you from Adam, we know we've got a really top notch reptile shop just around the corner (and we've been fishkeeping for long enough to be able to suss out a good and bad shop, all about staff attitudes and so on), we trust the advice they have given us so we're sticking with our choice.

Most reactions

Back