What Could Go In A 2 Foot Viv?

I dont think so, no.
I used to keep a sexed pair of flat tails together in a tank probably 30" long and they lived together fine. They could get on in a 24", but im not much of a herp keeper (well, im not a herp keeper :lol: ), so just ignore me.

The occellated skink is about to become red listed - if it hasnt already.

Thats interesting, I hadent heard about that. Shame too, but hopefully more captive breeding programs will go under way.

I dont think so, no.
I used to keep a sexed pair of flat tails together in a tank probably 30" long and they lived together fine. They could get on in a 24", but im not much of a herp keeper (well, im not a herp keeper :lol: ), so just ignore me.

helpfull!!!! LOL

well we're really struggling now, each trying to convince each other than the one we want is what we should get

I dont think so, no.

Apart from this is a 30" ;)

Don't know if this makes a difference, I know nothing about geckos.

ha ha thanks Geo, I have to say I was a tad confused too...... although I can understand why a certain size tank may be fine for a breeding pair but not for two females, maybe that's the difference ???

Apart from this is a 30" ;)

Don't know if this makes a difference, I know nothing about geckos.
Oh yeh, just saw that. I was concentrating on the 2x1x1' space they had.
I really should pay attention!

although I can understand why a certain size tank may be fine for a breeding pair but not for two females, maybe that's the difference ???

It could be the difference, so my guess would be that two females would be ok together, but as I say, im not a herp keeper.

Sorry for being dim, but what is a "herp"? Apologies for drifting off topic.

Dont forget its not 100% that 2 females will get on, females can be just as mean as males so i always keep a back up vivarium just incase.

Also 30x15x15 is a nice size for 2 female leo's

Sorry for being dim, but what is a "herp"? Apologies for drifting off topic.

Dont worry about it. A herp is slang (well, abbriviated) for herptile, the name for reptiles and amphibians. And one who studies them is called a herptologist.

Dont forget its not 100% that 2 females will get on, females can be just as mean as males so i always keep a back up vivarium just incase.

Also 30x15x15 is a nice size for 2 female leo's

I agree 100% :good:

really...... you all think it's big enough for 2 females.

appreciate there's no guarantee they'll get on and you should always have a plan B.

We've not space for another full viv set up but we're going to get one of the small plastic tanks for transportation and putting it into when we need to fully clean out the viv, so if we need to temporarily seperate them we can put one in there, if they really don't get on it would be a case of returning one to the shop, we're going back tonight to ask a load of dumb questions so I'll check with him that we'd be able to do this if they didn't get on.

I take it there's no issue with having diffeent colour morphs together.

Ian and I have been very very sad the last few night,s making hilarious jokes to each other like 'I wonder what pH it needs' and 'Do we need to dechlorinate the water in it's bowl'.... :rolleyes: very very sad!

lol nah i use raw tap water for all of my reps but some people will only use dechlorinated water. Mixing colour morths is fine, and most likely the females will get on and will be fine, you will just need to watch that they are both eating lots and geting calcium and a D3 mix

let us know how it goes at the pet shop ;)

would getting two juvi females give a better chance of them getting on instead of getting two adults? works sometimes in fish.... dunno how much carries over!

yup we've got calcium and vitamin supplements, we're ready for gut loading the live food, found out how you dust them with calcium etc etc..... all good to go I think!!

I've never handled the live food before though, I'm a tad sqeamish with bugs so not looking forward to that, but I'm sure I'll get over it. :lol: We're both looking forward to the day a cricket accidentally escapes (it's bound to happen really isn't it) and the cats go for it. :rolleyes:

im not sure, i have only introduced adults and all have been fine so far, they lick each other then wonder off. I am still a bit weird with crickets and mealworms, i just tip them in a little back chuck the calcium in, shake and put them in the tank. I havnt had a cricket escape yet.. well that i know of, i just dont think about it lol.

tbh, Ian's gonna be doing most of the tank maintenance and feeding.... the viv's on top of a bookcase and I'm fairly short, with my high heels on the viv is at head height, however Ian's 6'4 so it's a comfortable height for him to be working in. It's not practical for me to do maintenance in my heels so therefore it's Ian's job to do it :lol: :D

Most reactions

Back