What Can I Put In My Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rob158

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have two 54L tanks and I was wondering what I can put in them? I would like to know what fish you think can go in them.
Here is a little list of fish i've seen and liked the look of so that should show you what sort of thing i'm looking for. Not sure if any of them would be ok in my tanks or if thay need bigger. but its just to show what sort of thing i'm looking for.

Elephantnose Fish, Rope/reed fish, Bichir, Channa/snakehead, African butterflyfish, Arowana.

Thanks,
Robert.

Fish you cant have,

Reedfish, snake heads, birchirs, arrownas, and african butterfly fish

Don't know much on elephant noses so cant comment.

Fish you cant have,

Thats fine then. Do you know of anything I can put in them?

My LFS said my tank would be fine to put a birchir in.:huh: Whats your thoughts?

Arowanas can grow to huge sizes, and fully grown would'nt even be able to move in your tank. Don't trust anything your LFS says, they will say anything to get you to part with your cash. Bichirs can also grow to huge sizes. All of those fish stated are very unsuitable for your tank.

You could put Any type of tetra (neon, cardinal, rummy nose, glowlight, serpai)
Harlequin rasboras
Siamese fighting fish (betta)
Dwarf gourami
Mollies
Platys

There is obviously alot more :good:

Birchers can get quite big.... What exactly are you after? Something predatory, an oddball?

Have you thought about dwarf puffers??

Fish you cant have,

Thats fine then. Do you know of anything I can put in them?

My LFS said my tank would be fine to put a birchir in.:huh: Whats your thoughts?

Your LFS will sell you a pleco with a 10 gallon tank knowing it will need a 100+ gallon tank within a year or two when it gets almost two feet long.

Please for the sake of the Bichir don't put one in a tank that small.

I would say you have some decent options, found this on another forum and thought you might find it useful:

small schooling fish (keep at least 5 of one species)
Diamond Head Neon tetras (Paracheirodon innesi Diamant)
Bloodfin Tetra (Aphyocharax anisitsi
platinum tetra (Hemigrammus vorderwinkleri)
Hengals rasbora (Trigonostigma hengeli)
Lamb chop rasbora (Trigonostigma espei)
Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
Boraras brigittae
Neon tetras (Paracheirodon innesi)
Vietnamese cardinal minnows (Tanichthys micagemmae)
Cardinal tetras (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
X ray tetras (Pristella maxillaris)
Glo light tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)
Glowlight Danio (Danio choprai)
Ember tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae)
Ruby tetras (Axelrodia riesei)
Jelly Bean Tetra ( Ladigesia roloffi)
Green Neon Tetras (Paracheirodon simulans)
Eyesot rasbora (Brevibora dorsiocellata)
Aspidoras pauciradiatus
Panther Danio (Danio aesculapii)
Lamp eye tetras (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae)
Platinum barb (Horadandia atukorali)
Spotted rasbora (Boraras maculatus)
Boraras merah
Boraras nana
white cloud mountain minnows (Tanichthys albonubes)
celestial pearl danios (Celestichthys margaritatus)
Blue Neon Rasboras (Sundadanio axelrodi)
marbled hatchet fish (Carnegiella strigata)
Bumblebee Goby (Brachygobius nunus)
Microdevario nanus
burmese bumble bee gobie (Brachygobius xanthomelas)
dwarf emerald rasbora, or zebra Rasbora (Danio erythromicron)
Boraras micros
Burma Yellow Neon Rasboras (Microdevario kubotai)
Sparrow Rasbora (Boraras uropthalmoides)
Norman's lampeye killifish (Aplocheilichthys normani)

schooling catfish, and loaches. except for the 4th one
pygmy cories (coryordra pygmaeus)
dwarf cories (coryordra hastatus)
dwarf caries (coryordra habrosus)
mini moth catfish (Hara Jerdoni)
Dwarf Loach (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki)
otto catfish ( Otocinclus vestitus)

fish that can be kept in groups of 2-4
Guppies (Poecilia reticulata)
endlers (Poecilia wingei)
platies (Xiphophorus maculatus)
platies (Xiphophorus variatus)
golden teddies (Xenophallus umbratilis)
hetendaria formosa
Characodon lateralis
Clown killifish (Epiplatys annulatus)
Gardneri killifish (fundalopanchax gardneri)
Scheeli killifish (fundalopanchax scheeli)
Armoured stickleback (Indostomus paradoxus)

Fish that can be kept solitary
Scarlet Badis (Dario dario)
Dwarf Puffer (Tetraodon travancoricus)
Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila)
Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)
Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster lalius)
Betta Rutilans
Betta splendens
betta falx
betta simplex
betta imbellis
Liqorice gourami (Parosphromenus deissneri)
Spotted Blue Eyed Rainbow (pseudomugil gertrudae)
American Flagfish, or Florida Flagfish, (Jordanella floridae)
lamprologus multifasciatus

---------

With the above information you can choose from a select few groups.

You have the option of getting a small school (5-7) and one centerpiece fish and maybe one bristlenose pleco or a small school (4-5) of substrate fish.

You can get a larger school (8 or 9) with a small school (4-5) of substrate fish.

OR you can choose 2-3 center piece fish with a small school if fish (5-6) and a bristlenose pleco...

OR you can do one 3-4 center piece fish with a school school of substrate fish.

See where i'm going...

Well done Termato - THAT is what I call a very comprehensive list.

David

Thanks for all your replys, and very nice list of fish species.

Birchers can get quite big.... What exactly are you after? Something predatory, an oddball?

Have you thought about dwarf puffers??

Yes, I already keep community fish and was looking for something different. Something alone the lines of the fish I listed but not necessarily those kind.

Only problem your going to get is most if not all predatory fish need bigger tanks. Even dwarf snakeheads need around 180 litre. Preferably more though and they only get to around 7-8 inches and should be purchased in groups of around 5 or 6 and then let 2 naturally form a pair and then rehome the rest. My 2 are in a 260 litre.

Obviously not all predatory fish need to be in pairs but I can't think of any apart from a dwarf puffer that will be any good for a tank that small. A Senegal birchir is the smaller of the birchirs but again would be too big for that tank :(

Ok then, thats fine. Think i'll look into getting something else just now. :good:

Badis or Dario are sometimes considered micro predators, though this is at the very very far end of the chain....

Perhaps Dwarf Cichlids could interest you? Perhaps do an American tank and an African tank? A pair of Laetacara for one and a pair of Nanochromis Transvestitus in the other. The Laetacara would go well with things like Ember Tetras or Green Neons and possibly Pygmy Cories. I have not kept them before so a little research would be needed but perhaps the Nanochromis would do well with small Barbs or Rasbora.

Wills

I have two 54L tanks and I was wondering what I can put in them? I would like to know what fish you think can go in them.
Here is a little list of fish i've seen and liked the look of so that should show you what sort of thing i'm looking for. Not sure if any of them would be ok in my tanks or if thay need bigger. but its just to show what sort of thing i'm looking for.

Elephantnose Fish, Rope/reed fish, Bichir, Channa/snakehead, African butterflyfish, Arowana.

Thanks,
Robert.

Absolutely no problem housing a single African Butterfly, two could possibly work if the water surface was broken up well by plants and/or furniture. Despite potentially reaching ~10cm (my one has grown from 5cm to 7cm SL in just under two years), they are very sedatory fish, almost the other extreme of zippy little Zebra/Leopard Danios! I had two that shared the water surface of my 620T, which is only a tiny bit larger in footprint than a 60x030x30cm 54l (sadly one was the victim of my psychotic Lionhead Cichlid parents when they gave birth to their second brood in the Rio240 last November).

The tricky bit would be finding suitable tankmates for a 54l, because of the very opportunistic predatory nature of these trapdoor mouthed fish (I was told about someone who had a breeding pair and the larger female ate the male whole)! My best immediate thought would be a singleton (maybe a trio hareem at a push) of Microctenopoma congicum, a smaller less common African bushfish. Alternatively perhaps with some input from experience keepers, perhaps a singleton or pair of African Butterfly Cichlids (Anomalochromis thomasi).

Thanks,
Robert.

Absolutely no problem housing a single African Butterfly, two could possibly work if the water surface was broken up well by plants and/or furniture. Despite potentially reaching ~10cm (my one has grown from 5cm to 7cm SL in just under two years), they are very sedatory fish, almost the other extreme of zippy little Zebra/Leopard Danios! I had two that shared the water surface of my 620T, which is only a tiny bit larger in footprint than a 60x030x30cm 54l (sadly one was the victim of my psychotic Lionhead Cichlid parents when they gave birth to their second brood in the Rio240 last November).

The tricky bit would be finding suitable tankmates for a 54l, because of the very opportunistic predatory nature of these trapdoor mouthed fish (I was told about someone who had a breeding pair and the larger female ate the male whole)! My best immediate thought would be a singleton (maybe a trio hareem at a push) of Microctenopoma congicum, a smaller less common African bushfish. Alternatively perhaps with some input from experience keepers, perhaps a singleton or pair of African Butterfly Cichlids (Anomalochromis thomasi).
I think you could put everything in there except for the arowna and snakehead

Thanks,
Robert.

I think you could put everything in there except for the arowna and snakehead

? And the birchir. Smallest species of birchir is a Senegal birchir and even they get too big for a 54 litre. They need tanks of around 4 feet in length but the more the better. my 2 are constantly exploring the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back