What are you doing today?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@jaylach I hear you Man. I just turned 67 and going back to work doesn’t appeal to me. Worse come to worse and I would but I have a few physical issues that might not agree with that plan. Everybody up here is hiring too but guys making $25 bucks an hour are struggling to pay rent. Ain’t that something ? That used to be top wages around here.
Rent is one thing where I have an advantage as my apartment is only $654.00/month including water and electric. My military disability would cover my rent with a little left over. Also helps that I'm totally debt free.

Of course I prefer to stay totally retired... best job I've ever had. ;)

Rent is one thing where I have an advantage as my apartment is only $654.00/month including water and electric. My military disability would cover my rent with a little left over. Also helps that I'm totally debt free.

Of course I prefer to stay totally retired... best job I've ever had. ;)
Totally agree. Totally retired is awesome. I was born to not work. Also , like you , being totally debt free is very reassuring .

Totally agree. Totally retired is awesome. I was born to not work. Also , like you , being totally debt free is very reassuring .
Funny thing (not HaHA funny) about being debt free... I also don't do credit cards. This means that my credit rating is only fair, not good as you have to owe everyone to have a good credit rating. This oddly means that I pay higher rates for such things as car insurance. :dunno:

Funny thing (not HaHA funny) about being debt free... I also don't do credit cards. This means that my credit rating is only fair, not good as you have to owe everyone to have a good credit rating. This oddly means that I pay higher rates for such things as car insurance. :dunno:
I don’t do credit cards anymore either so I know exactly what you are talking about. I thought being frugal was a good thing but not always.

Today I completed my order for 10ftx4ft aquarium and 8ftx4ft aquarium. Should be here around mid april.
We will need a journal made. Pictures taken. Stocking ideas. And plant ideas. 😂
What all are you putting in that thing?? It's fricking massive!
Is it going to be freshwater or saltwater?

I don’t do credit cards anymore either so I know exactly what you are talking about. I thought being frugal was a good thing but not always.
I actually considered getting a credit card to use instead of my bank debit card for a couple of reasons.

1) Use it for shopping and then use my debit card to pay it off as soon as I got home to avoid any interest. This would actually help my credit score.

2) If I were to be on the road and had an emergency the credit card would cover needed expenses if I didn't have enough in my bank for the debit card to cover.

Both are decent reasons but I decided against doing so. As to reason 2) my debit card actually covers that as it is set up to where, if funds are not available, it will still go through with the over draw automatically going as a personal loan. As to 1) I just decided that it was too much of a hassle as, since I don't make any payments that involve interest, it would really only affect my car insurance which is only ~$186.00 every 6 months anyway.

Even my car is paid for. It may be old, a 2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium, but runs great and still gets me ~32 MPG on the interstate. I still say that I stole the car as I only paid $1500.00. I did put $1000.00 into the front end suspension but even that makes it $2500.00 and I've been driving it for 6-7 years. In 6-7 years I've only had to add a quart of oil twice. Kind of funny when I bought the thing. The dealership was asking $1800.00 but when I went in it happened to be my birthday. I didn't even realize that it was my birthday but the sales person noticed on the paperwork and gave me $300.00 off. I mean the thing is totally loaded and everything works. When I say loaded I mean it! Dual sun visors on both sides so you can block the sun both side and front at the same time. Also the same sound system that was put in Lincolns at the time including a 6-CD changer mounted in the trunk. If you know what they are it even has 'puddle lights' mounted in the bottom of the outside mirrors and an electronic compass in the inside rear view mirror. Shoot! It even has electric defrosters for the outside mirrors, adjustable foot peddles and the entry dongle even still works. It even has the SHO 3.0 liter engine that does 260 HP instead of the standard 200 HP. Right now it has ~157,000 miles on it but will still plain get down and get it on. At a dry weight of 3369 pounds and front wheel drive it is also really good on snowy roads. I totally LOVE this car! The only gripe is that the CD changer is old enough to not do MP3 music files, only normal CD audio, but with a 6 disk changer that isn't really any sort of issue.

Last edited:
Wow @jaylach ! You did steal that car. $1500 bucks beats the pants off $40,000 or whatever outrageous price they want for an SUV puddle jumper these days.
The price of new cars is way out of line today but it’s all the techno gadgetry in them .
A guy can find a car like yours or pay out the nose . Either way you’re going down the road but one way costs too much.

you say it has 15,700 miles....are you sure of that...157,000 would sound more like it

you say it has 15,700 miles....are you sure of that...157,000 would sound more like it
Oops! I corrected my post. Yes, it is 157,000 miles.

Wow @jaylach ! You did steal that car. $1500 bucks beats the pants off $40,000 or whatever outrageous price they want for an SUV puddle jumper these days.
The price of new cars is way out of line today but it’s all the techno gadgetry in them .
A guy can find a car like yours or pay out the nose . Either way you’re going down the road but one way costs too much.
Hey, while it has some dings and spots missing some paint it does not even look all that bad. Oh, the red car in the first shot was the 2000 Dodge Neon that the Sable replaced. Only paid $700.00 for that one and got over 3 years out of it. Funny thing is that the larger Sable gets better MPG than the 2.0 liter 4-banger Neon ever did for me.
IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

Last edited:
It sounds different for you guys in retirement. Here, my pension isn't huge but it's comfortable and guaranteed for life. If my wife survives me, or vice versa, 50% goes to the survivor. It's hard to get into these things without bringing up politics, but our countries are kind of different in their social values.

This has been a lost day - that was a miserable storm we had. It's ending now, and the rain is slowing. The high winds are from the south which carries the ocean swell into our large bay, so the reef just offshore is crashing water. I like that. Most of our storms come off land from the north east, and the sea doesn't get so worked up.

This morning I followed some deer hoofprints (or maybe devil hoofprints) right up to the fishroom window. A deer had stood there with its nose about 2 feet from the glass, staring in. The houseplants must look like the best food ever. Or, deer like killifish.

It sounds different for you guys in retirement. Here, my pension isn't huge but it's comfortable and guaranteed for life. If my wife survives me, or vice versa, 50% goes to the survivor. It's hard to get into these things without bringing up politics, but our countries are kind of different in their social values.

This has been a lost day - that was a miserable storm we had. It's ending now, and the rain is slowing. The high winds are from the south which carries the ocean swell into our large bay, so the reef just offshore is crashing water. I like that. Most of our storms come off land from the north east, and the sea doesn't get so worked up.

This morning I followed some deer hoofprints (or maybe devil hoofprints) right up to the fishroom window. A deer had stood there with its nose about 2 feet from the glass, staring in. The houseplants must look like the best food ever. Or, deer like killifish.
Retirement usually works fine here and both my social security and military medical retirement are also for life. The problem that I has was strictly a simple clerical error and solved easily and quickly once I went through the local office Tuesday. My SS account page already shows no suspension and the next scheduled payment at the correct date. I have even already gotten the missed January payment today. Personally I think 2 days pretty quick for everything to be fixed. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back