What are you doing today?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

He’s been having a much harder time walking and balancing, always falling over and having accidents :(

I will :)
That sort of sounds like Hip dysplasia. It is sad and is where the ball of the thigh bone no longer fits in the hip socket. Sadly there is no real cure that I've heard.

If the case is on the minor side Glucosamine can help but won't cure. How old is the beastie and how large? Such issues usually happen to larger breeds.

I hope everything works out, I REALLY do!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sigh, thinking about buying a new toy that could make me a few bucks. I keep thinking about getting a laser engraver. I could get one that would serve my needs for well under $500.00, probably more in the area of 3-$400.00. I think it could be a fun hobby and would easily pay for itself.

I just don't know yet but I keep looking. This evening I went so far as to look at the cost of blank silver belt buckles. Actually cheaper than expected as what I saw was, on average, 10-15 bucks, max..

That sort of sounds like Hip dysplasia. It is sad and is where the ball of the thigh bone no longer fits in the hip socket. Sadly there is no real cure that I've heard.

If the case is on the minor side Glucosamine can help but won't cure. How old is the beastie and how large? Such issues usually happen to larger breeds.

I hope everything works out, I REALLY do!
He does have mild hip dysplasia, he has bone spurs and some fusions on his spine and has neurological issues due to that.
When he was 2 or 3 he had kidney failure because my cousins mixed ibuprofen with cat food and he ate almost the whole bottle worth with the cat food (it sounds bad, but it was a negligent accident) his kidneys have recovered but he never got back to full health.

He’s 115 lbs, 9 years old.

The vet said it’s likely neurologically caused incontinence, and there’s not treatment other than a surgery with low success rates. Poor guy had an accident and lost his bowels in the vets office

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
He does have mild hip dysplasia, he has bone spurs and some fusions on his spine and has neurological issues due to that.
When he was 2 or 3 he had kidney failure because my cousins mixed ibuprofen with cat food and he ate almost the whole bottle worth with the cat food (it sounds bad, but it was a negligent accident) his kidneys have recovered but he never got back to full health.

He’s 115 lbs, 9 years old.

The vet said it’s likely neurologically caused incontinence, and there’s not treatment other than a surgery with low success rates. Poor guy had an accident and lost his bowels in the vets office
I don't exactly know how to respond....

When I lived in Florida I had a black lab weighing an even 100 pounds. I had to have him put down when he was 15 but there was also cancer involved that was a separate issue but he also had advanced hip dysplasia.

Hey, for a 100 pound 15 year old lab he was ancient. The point is that the cancer actually, through research and advice from his vet, was not painful but hip dysplasia is painful. You know this as you are often in pain. The fact that you are often in pain saddens me greatly as does your situation with your dog. Some times the kindest thing you can do is to remove the pain from the animal... When I had my lab, Rudy, put down it was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I cried like a baby. Yet it was also one of the kindest things I've done.

Last edited:
Wow actual paint ? I paid someone to do a graphic painting of my dog that died. These are so much better
These ones are digital, I usually work in real paint but digital I can do from bed on a bad day, or from anywhere! I do Giclée or canvas prints of the digital works, or acrylic on canvas

I don't exactly know how to respond....

When I lived in Florida I had a black lab weighing an even 100 pounds. I had to have him put down when he was 15 but there was also cancer involved that was a separate issue but he also had advanced hip dysplasia.

Hey, for a 100 pound 15 year old lab he was ancient. The point is that the cancer actually, through research and advice from his vet, was not painful but hip dysplasia is painful. You know this as you are often in pain. The fact that you are often in pain saddens me greatly as does your situation with your dog. Some times the kindest thing you can do is to remove the pain from the animal... When I had my lab, Rudy, put down it was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I cried like a baby. Yet it was also one of the kindest things I've done.
I can tell he is in pain. I know that soon it will be time for him to go, his breeds lifespan is 8-10 years, so he’s lived a good life. We’ve had him for so long, and I don’t want to put him down, but I’m ready if it comes to that. Ultimately though, it’s not my choice, as he is technically my parents dog. I can’t stand to see him in pain though.

I can tell he is in pain. I know that soon it will be time for him to go, his breeds lifespan is 8-10 years, so he’s lived a good life. We’ve had him for so long, and I don’t want to put him down, but I’m ready if it comes to that. Ultimately though, it’s not my choice, as he is technically my parents dog. I can’t stand to see him in pain though.
It's hard. Bronx and I gave cancer a fight. Benadryl, tagamet and turmeric paste in liverwurst balls, only way i could dose him. He went from dying to bouncing his 100 lbs around the house, 2 years good, last year was more rest. He made it to his 10th birthday

Remembering Bronx. I have a 4 year old rottie mix now, got a pup that was a mix and headed for a shelter a year after Bronx died. But I still miss my Bronx. His last Christmas, 2016.

Attachments

• 20161231_213819.jpg
    20161231_213819.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 13
got firewood, going to bank, no longer following Rotties in Need on Facebook because it was making me all sad. I don't mind networking them, but I need to manually look for the Texas ones that someone local could rescue

Most reactions

Back