What Am I?

pixelpefekt

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Scotland - In the middle
I thought I was buying Otos but now I'm not so sure...

IMG_3576.JPG
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3571.JPG



Whenever I google for images of Otos, they always seem to look like this....
oto.jpg
 
Sucking loach, Golden Sucking Loach or also known as Chinese algae eater or CAE

or Gyrinocheilus aymonieri
 
You can get golden CAE's, this one seems to be a mix, usually get ones like that in batches of them.

Nasty fish IME, for a regular community tank anyway, they are cool in their own right.
 
If they sold you those as Otto's I wold take them back..........hate to have those CAE in my tanks
 
You have a Chinese algae eater. I had a Golden one. He did a great job at cleaning my algae. Too bad he was a big bully and they grow to be 1 foot long. Also when they get older they don't eat algae any more. Mine was about 3 almost 4 inches he was the best cleaner. He started pushing my clown Pleco around and bothering the other fish. So I took him back. I honestly felt really bad about bring him back but it was best for my other fish if I did. I have one otto all my others passed a way this one is a survivor I am so proud. But he is not doing his job at cleaning. I really want a flying fox aka Siamese algae eater they seem to be the best algae eaters.
 
A couple of clearer pictures to confirm that it's a Chinese Algae Eater?

20080925_090.JPG
20080925_102.JPG


I'm going to approach the shop to see if they will exchange. At the moment they are very peaceful and do a great job of cleaning but the only reason I got them was because I was wanting Otos :unsure:
 
A couple of clearer pictures to confirm that it's a Chinese Algae Eater?

I'm going to approach the shop to see if they will exchange. At the moment they are very peaceful and do a great job of cleaning but the only reason I got them was because I was wanting Otos :unsure:

Definitely a CAE.

They do tend to be peaceful when small. After about 3 inches, they start to become territorial and more aggressive.
 
If they've sold them to you as Oto's your well within your rights to expect them to exchange them for Oto's.
 
Spoon? Huh?

Otos are cool fish, make sure you get them in a group, preferably 5 or more
 
are these the ones that start eating other community fish? or have I got my wires crossed? :S
 

Most reactions

Back
Top