FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon aquarium kept at ~78-80 Degrees F on a 12 hour light cycle with multiple root tabs but no water fertilizer. The aquarium isn't fully cycled yet. My Duckweed and Anubias plants are doing great... but my Java Fern, Monte Carlo, and some other plant that I got at Petco are not doing well. Any idea about what I'm doing wrong? Not enough light? Not enough CO2? Not enough fertilizer? I have no idea!

*random mystery plant on log* *Monte Carlo* *Java fern*

IMG_2274 (1).jpg
IMG_2276 (1).jpg
IMG_2277.jpg

All of these plants seemed perfectly ok when I put them into the tank but they just keep getting worse. Even my Water Wisteria is starting to struggle. I've given up on my Roseafolia.

Where I got the plants:
Monte Carlo, Duckweed - Ebay
Anubias, Water wisteria, mystery plant - Petco

One of the things that can happen with new plants in an aquarium is that they have to adjust to the water conditions, and some are not grown in water but are water plants. So these plants when first introduced to a new aquarium will wilt and die back for awhile and then start growing new leaves. Not sure if this is what is happening with your new plants or not.

Another thing is while root tabs are needed for rooted plants, non rooted plants get their nutrients from the water column. So these non rooted plants need a good liquid fertilizer like Nilocg Thrive C. added to the water column. Please do not bother with API Leaf Zone it is worthless.

If you have shrimp in your tank then be sure and use the type of Thrive for shrimp tanks. Nilocg makes several different types of Thrive, but Thrive C is the overall liquid fertilizer for general purpose use.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the things that can happen with new plants in an aquarium is that they have to adjust to the water conditions, and some are not grown in water but are water plants. So these plants when first introduced to a new aquarium will wilt and die back for awhile and then start growing new leaves. Not sure if this is what is happening with your new plants or not.

Another thing is while root tabs are needed for rooted plants, non rooted plants get their nutrients from the water column. So these non rooted plants need a good liquid fertilizer like Nilocg Thrive C. added to the water column. Please do not bother with API Leaf Zone it is worthless.

If you have shrimp in your tank then be sure and use the type of Thrive for shrimp tanks. Nilocg makes several different types of Thrive, but Thrive C is the overall liquid fertilizer for general purpose use.
I don't currently have anything aside from plants in the tank as my cycle isn't complete yet. I'm hoping it's the first thing... I'll look into some water fertilizers. I just don't want to add too much and end up with algae.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you planted the java fern into the substrate? If so have you made sure the rhizome is above the substrate?
Agree that it can sometimes be due to ermersed grown plants adapting to submerged life - however if you bought the plants from the shop then this seems unlikely (as they sell them in submerged condition).
It might be that the shop had them in cooler water than your 78-80F temp.
Monte-carlo is notorious for requiring co2 injection, nutrients and intense light - @Wills has some experience with it I think.

Yes I agree with above the java fern will do better attached to wood or rocks. Monte Carlo is possible the grow without Co2 but you do need ferts good light and nutrients in the substrate.

If you are in the US can you order plants from aquarium co op? Their facility looks great and they have their own brand of ferts too that gave a good reputation.

I wouldn’t worry about adding a fert just don’t get one that adds nitrogen at the moment.

Have you planted the java fern into the substrate? If so have you made sure the rhizome is above the substrate?
Agree that it can sometimes be due to ermersed grown plants adapting to submerged life - however if you bought the plants from the shop then this seems unlikely (as they sell them in submerged condition).
It might be that the shop had them in cooler water than your 78-80F temp.
Monte-carlo is notorious for requiring co2 injection, nutrients and intense light - @Wills has some experience with it I think.
Wow, your tank is gorgeous! I'll remove the monte carlo, I didn't really mean to order it in the beginning. I hope the Ferns come back

Yes I agree with above the java fern will do better attached to wood or rocks. Monte Carlo is possible the grow without Co2 but you do need ferts good light and nutrients in the substrate.

If you are in the US can you order plants from aquarium co op? Their facility looks great and they have their own brand of ferts too that gave a good reputation.

I wouldn’t worry about adding a fert just don’t get one that adds nitrogen at the moment.
Bummer! I'll have to find some decor to attach them to. I'll look at aquarium co op, thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back