Weird algae? Or baby java fern?

Serial hobbyist

New Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2023
Messages
19
Reaction score
10
Points
3
Location
Parlin, nj
I've been noticing this on my crested java fern for a few days now. I did some maintenance today & was ready to cut these off, thinking it's some sinister algae. After closer inspection I decided to search around the interweb, & it looks like this could be plantlets! What do you guys think?
 

Attachments

  • 20230224_115709.webp
    20230224_115709.webp
    233.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230224_120156.webp
    20230224_120156.webp
    212.6 KB · Views: 82
Yes, those are adventitious plants forming. They will sometimes break off on their own, or you can gently remove them and attach them to hard objects. I would wait until they are a bit more substantial.
 
Looks like baby plant roots. I've got some on my plants

Yes, those are adventitious plants forming. They will sometimes break off on their own, or you can gently remove them and attach them to hard objects. I would wait until they are a bit more substantial.
Awesome!! Yes, I'll just let them go for now. How exciting!!
 
I've been noticing this on my crested java fern for a few days now. I did some maintenance today & was ready to cut these off, thinking it's some sinister algae. After closer inspection I decided to search around the interweb, & it looks like this could be plantlets! What do you guys think?
Hello Serial. I didn't see anything other than new plants developing. Some algae is beneficial. You won't find a better water filter. Just remove a little at a time, so it doesn't get out of control. If it looks like it is, just add some Anacharis to the tank. It's a floating plant that will use the excess nitrogen in the water and will slow the growth of algae. Java fern is an excellent choice for your tank. So easy to grow and interesting to see the plant develop from the leaves of the mother plant. I have a land plant that grows very much like this aquatic fern. It's called "Queen of the Evening". The new leaves grow from the older ones. I've included a picture.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3654.webp
    IMG_3654.webp
    211.4 KB · Views: 130

Most reactions

Back
Top