Water temp and breeding

mmwhit2

Reaction score

I have a 90 Gallon Tank I lost everything last March during an Ice Storm and am just now getting the tank back up and running. My temp in my tank is at about 84 to 86 and everyone seems to be doing fine but I know this is too warm however I am afraid to mess with it for fear I will stress everyone out? Any suggestions? :hyper: :thumbs:

approx 14 guppies (females should always out number males 3 to 1)
3 Clown Loaches
4 Irredesent Sharks
2 Bala Sharks
1 pleco
7 platys
8 fry (and more on the way) :nod:

Sorry.. I do not want to jump or anything but I would like to know if 79 would be too cold in that sense.

You are saying 84-86.. Mines only 79.. Is that too LOW?

I have:

2 X swordtails.
5 X neons.
4 X (cant remember).
1 X (orange.. same speices as "cant remember).

I think i have a 25 gallon tank.

It measures 4ftX15X12

I have a 90 Gallon Tank I lost everything last March during an Ice Storm and am just now getting the tank back up and running. My temp in my tank is at about 84 to 86 and everyone seems to be doing fine but I know this is too warm however I am afraid to mess with it for fear I will stress everyone out? Any suggestions?

In my own humble opinion fish seem to do fine at between 79 and 86ish, so you might want to lower the temperature slightly, but if they are happy enough then I don't see the problem...

You are saying 84-86.. Mines only 79.. Is that too LOW?

I keep mine at about 80 (have platties, swordtails, molly and molly fry) and they seem to be happy enough...might be best to leave yours at that too it at that if they're happy...?

You really need to lower your temp, i don't know how your fish are still living. It is hard to get oxygen higher than 82 lower it to 78-80, but only like 1-2 degrees F an hour.

84-86 Wow! that seems to be an aweful high temp.However if they seem to be doing OK at that temp.who am I to critized?
I keep my gups and mollies at 76f. and there's a reason for it,I have live plants and although some will do fine in the low to mi 80's,some will start losing their leaves and even die on me.
Remember that you are creating a community tank and even though some species would do fine at that temp.some may not,try to keep it at a lower temperature.The reason why they're doing fine is because in the tropics there are two seasons.The dry and rainy season.During the summer the rivers and streams where they are found get mighty hot but,eventually the temp gets a bit colder.For a while the high temperature won't affect them but later on their bodies might react to it and even get sick on you.
UM3R.......lower it a bit.Keep it in the mid to high 70's.

:crazy: :no: I figure that even though they are still living and doing fine that it is taking a lot out of them and I know you guys are right I need to lower that temp but I afraid it will go down too much and everything will really go belly up on me

just try turning the heater down one tiny notch and then leave it for a few days or a week and then down another tiny bit - then the change would be very gradual and be less likely to stress your fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back