Water level….

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
There was a comment on a post the other day where someone asked why the water level was so low… where should the water level be..?

On my Betta tank I have a flat, ‘sit inside the rim’ cover and I always have the water about an inch below this so he can ‘get air’…

On my upstairs tank, the water level is about an inch under the glass edges. There are two at the ends going front to bank, and two on the front/back going side to side…. I’d like to fill the water to the bottom of the front edge, but this would then be on top of the side bits..?

Many years ago the tanks had a edging (electrical tape/plastic trim) so you couldn’t see the waterline…so where should it sit now there are no such ‘cover ups’..?

There was a comment on a post the other day where someone asked why the water level was so low… where should the water level be..?

On my Betta tank I have a flat, ‘sit inside the rim’ cover and I always have the water about an inch below this so he can ‘get air’…

On my upstairs tank, the water level is about an inch under the glass edges. There are two at the ends going front to bank, and two on the front/back going side to side…. I’d like to fill the water to the bottom of the front edge, but this would then be on top of the side bits..?

Many years ago the tanks had a edging (electrical tape/plastic trim) so you couldn’t see the waterline…so where should it sit now there are no such ‘cover ups’..?
fluval edge.... lol

just fill it one inch below that is good

Actually it depends on a few factors:

1)Does your tank has a lid?
For a tank without lid, the water level need to be lower, otherwise, the fish especially top level fish will jump out.

For a tank with lid, you need to leave some space for Betta or Gourami (all Anabantid) fish to breathe from the surface of the water.

2)What type of filter are you using?
If you use a hang on or top/overhead filter, you want the water level to be lower than the filter output for it to create water aeration/ agitation when the water fall into the tank.

3)For "large rimless" tank that don't have any bracing, it may be advisable not to fill up the water to the top to prevent the glass from failing/exploding.

Other than the above, it's up to your preference or more of aesthetic reason.
Filling up the water to the top/rim makes your tank looks better just like a full screen monitor versus a non full screen monitor(if the water level is lower).
The water line will be hidden if you fill it to the top for braced tank.

Last edited:
@Lajos_Detari thank you for that very ’full’ 🙂 explanatio.

The tank does have a lid, and it only contains guppies, so I will fill to the braces when I do my water change tomorrow 🙂

You want about 1 inch of air between the water and any coverglass.
If you don't have coverglass, then have the water level 1-2 inches below the top of the tank.

@Colin_T why keep the water 1" below a cover glass, I have always kept mine at about 0.25" so that the water level is above the tank's trim. I don't see the need for a whole 1" of space. I have a gourami and a betta and they don't mind only having a 1/4".

My cories headbang the lid at 1inch plus distance - I dread to think what would happen with 0.25 inch

Would need to see a picture of the tank and the current water level. I keep my water level just below the black rim, which is where it should be.

I fill my tank to here :)

Attachments

• 20211016_103412.jpg
    20211016_103412.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 25

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back