Water Cow, Or Prehistoric Monster Fish

darknirvana217

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 120 gallon with nothing but a L-25 Scarlet pleco. I was wondering if anyone has had any experieince with these fish. I have found little on the internet or in books. All I know is that they're swimming stomachs and some of them need a pinch of salt. Can you get away without any salt at all. I was also thinking of a group of prehistoric monster fish. How active are they, and what type of behavior do they have?

You wont need salt to keep either of those fish and the monster fish would be very displeased if you did add any salt as they are softwater fish from the Amazon.

Prehistoric monster fish ( Thalassophryne amazonica ) like most sedentry ambush hunters are really best suited to a species tank, they are difficult to ween off live foods and dont compete well with other fish for food as they will wait for food to litterally swim into their mouths and starve if it doesnt, smaller shallow tanks are better with fish like these as there is less area for their food to swim in. As far as activity goes you have probably seen rocks that are more active, they just bury themselves in sand with only their eyes showing and sit there until a tasty fish sits on their head.

The water cow is a completely different beast, it will actively hunt food at feeding time and eat more or less anything you throw at it, unfortunately this will include any smaller tankmates so no fish under 4" in the same tank. The downside is they get pretty big and they grow fast, you can expect one to be around 18" long within 2 years. They also dont play well with others of their own kind so its one per tank unless you have a couple of hundred gallons per fish.

A good sized 2ft tank for 2. A 3ft for 3 or 4 I would think.

Yep seconded. Just make sure you have a deep sand bed of about 3" minimum for them to hide in.
I would advise a water cow if you have the space, an adult is much more interesting than a PMF; more active and very meaty and tough looking when adult. They are also very tough and hardy and can withstand harsh water conditions.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but where can you get these (I'm in the US)? I have been looking for these too, but haven't been able to find any.

Ryan

Sorry for the thread hijack, but where can you get these (I'm in the US)? I have been looking for these too, but haven't been able to find any.

Ryan
The first place I would check is Aquabid. If you are patient, the fish you want will eventually show up. You could also post a wanted ad on that site.

If you don't want to do shipping, etc, then you could contact your LFS and see if they could order the fish you want. Many LFS', especially ones that stock oddballs, will happily order fish for you.

Good luck!

Yup, I have been checking aquabid for a while now and my lfs can't seem to get any either. Do you know of a mail order site for these fish or oddballs in general?

Ryan

There is an importer that goes by the name East Coast Zoological Society, or something like that, who can get these guys in. Are you looking for the water cows, or the prehistoric monster fish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back