Wart on Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Gourami_2417

Reaction score
There is a small pink wart on the body of my dwarf gourami. I did a little research on it but I donā€™t think itā€™s lymphocystis because the wart isnā€™t on the fin and isnā€™t white either. Should I do something about it? Here is a photo of my gourami.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpeg
    IMG_1678.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 20
Honestly need a better picture of the fish from profile view. The blister on his fins is not the thing to worry about.

Does he maintains his fin clamped and his tail down all the time like that ?

What are your water hardness parameters ?

What are your nitrogen levels readings ?

How long is he in there ?

Tank mates ?

General setup ?

1. Iā€™m not sure of the gender because I had a female in there before but they didnā€™t breed and at the same time it has a pointy fin and more streamlined belly so I assume thatā€™s just how it looks.

2. Hereā€™s the pH, total hardness and carbonate levels: pH-7.0, total hardness-100ppm, carbonate-120ppm

3. Nitrate-50ppm, nitrite-0ppm, ammonia-0ppm

4. If you mean how long its been in the tank then since late September. If you mean how long its had that level of nitrogen then about a week.

5. Itā€™s a 80 litre tank with 3 adult mollies, about 50 molly fry in a separate breeding box at the back, 4 ottocinclus, 10 corydoras, 7 neon tetras and 2 dwarf gouramis (one of them male and the other I donā€™t know the gender).

6. If you mean the decor in the tank then hereā€™s a photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
For got to say -

Nitrate is not OK. it needs to be kept below 20 ppm. The UK allows up to 50 ppm in tap water; in places where it is this high, it's difficult to keep the tank level below 20 ppm. But if your tap water is below 50 ppm, nitrate is being made in the tank and it needs to be lowered. The usual way is by not overfeeding the fish, and by large weekly water changes.

I have never seen a red female dwarf gourami, they are usually silver with this colour morph.

For got to say -

Nitrate is not OK. it needs to be kept below 20 ppm. The UK allows up to 50 ppm in tap water; in places where it is this high, it's difficult to keep the tank level below 20 ppm. But if your tap water is below 50 ppm, nitrate is being made in the tank and it needs to be lowered. The usual way is by not overfeeding the fish, and by large weekly water changes.

I have never seen a red female dwarf gourami, they are usually silver with this colour morph.
Do you suggest stop feeding them for a period of time and do a large water change?

How often do you do water changes, and how big are they?

High nitrate can indicate 'old tank syndrome'. This is where infrequent water changes allows nitrate to build up and pH to fall. In this scenario, a large water change will raise the pH quickly which harms the fish, so daily small water changes are the way to proceed. That's why I asked about your water change regime before suggesting the way forwards.

I do a weekly water change, about 40%. Do you think buying more plants would also help? P.S, is the high nitrate level what caused the wart/blister on the gourami?

My brain does not tolerate any level of nitrates...

Less fishes...

More plants...

More Water Changes...

More cover... They need to be wandering securely right under the surface.

Many peoples think they are good community mates... But they are not in many setups. Because of them becoming stressed.

They thrive under a thick cover, low light and really calm mates. If you add a thick layer of plants from the bottom that can reach the surface all around and a couple floaters on the top your already made scape. They would blow bubbles really soon.

They must be able to hide from "you" if they want.

In fact they love compartment tanks, where they can find some privacy.

Your water is good for them. not as much for the mollies but frys are frys :)

They are like bettas, at some point, if they are not able to be a bit lazy, they wont be happy.

That water change routine is fine. And the nitrate won't have caused the spot on the gourami, it's just that high nitrate doesn't do the fish very good long term.

As for the spot, I don't know what the cause is I'm afraid. Hopefully someone will know.

I would also test your tap water for nitrate. That way you'll know if the tank nitrate is coming from there or being made in the tank. The ways of dealing with high nitrate in the tank is different if it's coming in with the tap water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back