Want To Start A Dirt Amazon Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ilyas

Reaction score
So my wife has given me permission to start planning a 75-90 gallon dirt tank. I am vibrating from excitement. This will be our 6th tank but our 1st dirt tank. So I am here looking for three things

1.) How do I start a SUCCESSFUL dirt tank? I do not want a flat bottom, I want at least one hill, and to look like a field meeting a forest. The hill should be in the forest. On the hill I plan to but a rock house, a cabin, or a cave with stairs going up the hillside to the door of the abode. I want to utilize the drift wood to look like growing and fallen trees. I would like the floor to appear as though it is grass covered, at least in most of the tank (can be some bare spots if necessary.

2.) We have never done live plants, so what types do you suggest, why do you suggest them, and how much of each?

3.) We are going to add fish we currently have. 2 Yoyo Loaches ( can add more if necessary), 2 dwarf rams ( want some more for sure or another smaller Cichlid that maybe lives longer than the dwarf, 3 Blue Acara (2 female and 1 male). 1 female convict (possibly may get a male or may sell the female we currently have). We are really liking Angels, Flowerhorns, Discus, Severum (we like discus more), Jewel Cichlid, Kribensis, Fire Mouth. We are also considering Gourami, Rainbows, Bala Shark or Rainbow Shark ( we may just put our Jerdon`s Baril in there instead). I am considering the rubber lip pleco, or corey cats for bottom feeders too. We are trying to breed Mystery snails at the moment too.

What we want at the end is a beautiful set up and then the perfect fish for it, using some of what we have already. There should be a nice mix of lower middle and upper tank dwellers. They should all be capable of consuming meat as well, so carnivorous or omnivorous. I am leaning toward the Flowerhorn (a male and female), the Yoyo Loaches (and a smaller pleco of some sort), Dwarf rams, Blue Acara, Convict (female only), a few Kribensis, 2 Jewel Cichlids, and 2 Angels. What I do not want is a tank of look a likes, and I certainly do not want anymore grey bodies with what ever stripes and highlights comes with it.

Please advise away, and as I get closer to population time I may take a vote on here as to what fish to add (at least for a couple species) as I am certain to be torn between some choices I come across in the mean time.

Ok, can't really help you on the aquascaping, but the fish I can. No, I repeat No flowerhorns, get big and very aggressive. No convicts, stay small, but again aggressive. No jewels, same as convicts. None of the sharks.
Discus hard to keep. Severums eat plants...

Tetras, live bearers, barbs all offer plenty of color, as do the dwarf cichlids you're contemplating.

Tetras, live bearers, barbs all offer plenty of color, as do the dwarf cichlids you're contemplating.
I have a 30 g that is full of Barbs (that is where my two dwarfs are now) and I have Balloon Mollies and Guppies in a 10 g. Hmmm....I have always liked the idea of a a school of tin foil barbs. Maybe too big for what I want to do though? So if I don not take the ones you said no to, and take the ones you did not mention I will be okay? At this point I am thinking 2 Angels, Kribensis (I think you are considering them a dwarf as well), the Blue Acara, get rid of my female Cichlid to a good home, and a school of 5 tinfoil barbs, and the two dwarfs I have and some Yoyo Botia (I have two of these also) and then some Mystery snails I am trying to get to breed to put in all my tanks. What do you figure? Am I over stocked at this point? Are these bigger fish going to torment or eat the dwarfs? I just really want a tank of some big and little fish that live nicely together. I love my dwarfs so much too. Interesting, I just looked up the Kribensis and found it to ba an African when last night I specifically searched South American Cichlids and that came up....GRRR!!! Out of curiosity would they work in there or is that just mean? I am happy with dwarf rams but they are expensive here and have such a short life span (2-3 years my research tells me). Wow, making a working community seems like a fun idea at first, but....lol....what type of other barbs or tetras would you suggest for this community. Would gouramies work?

I think you should go with a Pair of Severums, a male Red Spot, female Gold and 10 Black Ruby Barbs or soemthing similar, loads of colour there.

I think you should go with a Pair of Severums, a male Red Spot, female Gold and 10 Black Ruby Barbs or soemthing similar, loads of colour there.
I am assuming you mean these with the dwarf rams, yoyo botia, and the Acara. I would really like some ruby barbs. Came across them for the first time a few weeks ago. My LFS does not have them but could possibly order them. I was also thinking about Archer fish, again would have to be ordered, but would they make good tank mates for you suggested community? I am actually really loving what you suggested, seems to be exactly what I was thinking just did not know enough to put it all together...

Severums are really good with small fish, i have 8 of them (4 in my main tank) they do get quite big, but slowly, i have had my big male red spot for a few years and he has seemed to max out at 8", they can get bigger but they tend to need bigger tanks to reach there full potential.

The onloy fish o wouldnt risk with a Severum are snack sized fish like Guppys and neons, my 8" Sev has been housed with 2" platys for 2-3 years.

527950_500748953285739_470690064_n.jpg

^This was my pair, the Red Spotted male was 8" and the female Gold was 8.5" they were fine with Platys and baby barbs (less than 1") I sold the female in the end because of constant breeding.

I'm surprised no one caught this: Kribensis are AFRICAN cichlids. I'm not going to comment on their suitability with the rest of the fish, as I've never kept them, but if you are truly looking for an "AMAZON" tank, Kribs are NOT what you are looking for. ;)

I'm surprised no one caught this: Kribensis are AFRICAN cichlids. I'm not going to comment on their suitability with the rest of the fish, as I've never kept them, but if you are truly looking for an "AMAZON" tank, Kribs are NOT what you are looking for.
wink.png
Yeah I realized this a few days ago and did comment about it above lol. I think Severum GS has me on the right track. Thank you for pointing it out though eaglesaquarium. That is the issue with googling such vague searches as "South American Cichlids" I guess. I was doing more research on them a few days ago and "BAM" it was there. From Lake Tanganyika.

Severums are really good with small fish, i have 8 of them (4 in my main tank) they do get quite big, but slowly, i have had my big male red spot for a few years and he has seemed to max out at 8", they can get bigger but they tend to need bigger tanks to reach there full potential.

The onloy fish o wouldnt risk with a Severum are snack sized fish like Guppys and neons, my 8" Sev has been housed with 2" platys for 2-3 years.

527950_500748953285739_470690064_n.jpg

^This was my pair, the Red Spotted male was 8" and the female Gold was 8.5" they were fine with Platys and baby barbs (less than 1") I sold the female in the end because of constant breeding.
Your fish are beautiful, and I really would like them I think. I had asked you about Archer fish not just because of size but over all. I am certain you would have said something though, unless you did not notice I had asked that. I have never had them but I think they are really cool. If not in there then no big deal as I plan this coming summer to start a tank with a tree growing from the middle of it and I will build that with them in mind.

That Red Spot does not look 8" at all.

My boy is around 8" and looks like he would eat yours for breakfast!!! Maybe mines just big boned?!

Can't really see him in this pic (will try and get a better one later)...

09375549-FE8A-468E-8D7C-BCB3F084301C-516-000000811F0B0A29.jpg

But I would too suggest Sevs, great wet pets and full of character! Mix up with some male Conga Tetras (lovely colouring) and some nice bottom feeders.

That Red Spot does not look 8" at all.

My boy is around 8" and looks like he would eat yours for breakfast!!! Maybe mines just big boned?!

Can't really see him in this pic (will try and get a better one later)...

09375549-FE8A-468E-8D7C-BCB3F084301C-516-000000811F0B0A29.jpg

But I would too suggest Sevs, great wet pets and full of character! Mix up with some male Conga Tetras (lovely colouring) and some nice bottom feeders.
Now now guys...lol. Thanks for the tips. Seems the decisions is some what being made up for me. Someone we came across is shutting down their tank, needless to say numerous fish were at risk here. So we "rescued" several fish this weekend. In all the stock list is as follows: [background=rgb(0, 51, 102)]3 or 4 serpae tetras [/background]
[background=rgb(0, 51, 102)]3 blackskirts, 1 white skirt, 1 large Angelfish, 1 small-medium Angelfish, 4 Clown Loaches. I also made another great trade this weekend; I traded the Female Convict and my 5" Common PLeco for a Small Synodontis to go in my large Rift Tank. Seems now that we have also made our selves known for relocating fish in the area. We are not the only ones taking them at least. The guy who took my Convict is always looking for them he said. Anyways, what do you guys think now???[/background]

Yours looks no bigger or better than mine, except yours looks dyed.

if you want confirmation on size, look at the size of my 2" platy and 2.5" barbs next to the sevs.

Most reactions

Back