Want To Change My Rio 180 Set

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
2,229
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
Beds, UK
I've just moved house and my other half has agreed to my Rio 180 (180L/48 USG) being moved into the living room. I've got a variety of community fish in there - cory's, loaches, danio's, plec's, bleeding heart's etc - and I want something different. I'm looking to move the community fish into a different tank which would leave me with able to start from scratch with the 180.

I'm after ideas for what to put in there. I want something bigger if possible (within reason) so that I can see it/them comfortably from the other side of the room. I'd be happy even if I only had 2 or 3 bigger fish in there. I'm after ideas for what.

I've kept Tangiyikan cichlids and they're great, but I don't fancy a second tank with them and I find Malawi's boring. Angels are an option - some of them are stunning - but I'd like to consider other options. I haven't the time or money for marine, though something brackish might be an option. Oscars crossed my mind but the tanks too small for them. I'm thinking that some flavour of SA/CA cichlid is most likely, but I've only kept rams and angels before so I don't know much about the other flavours.

Anyone got some suggestions? It is a display tank, and I get the piss taken for the number of tanks I have so I'd like something to a) be able to comfortably see from the other side of the living room and b) look fairly striking - not necessarily pretty.

Cheers
Chris
 
Sevs look like an option. I've been doing some digging myself (looking at every new world cichlid in species index) and Sev's definately look like an option - especially green sev's. How many would I get away with, and could I get something else (like a pictus cat or two) as well?
 
im sorry i dont have the experience to give you the information..... just gave the otpion of sevs, they are very nice, i would get some if i was in the same situation
 
No you cant have Sev's in there tenoh, minimum for one sev IMO is 75g, whilst they may only reach 8" (sometimes more), they are chunky chaps and do require more swimming room than a rio 180 can give. Ive replied on your thread in NW :good:
 
Channa :shifty: as oscar's are too small......snakehead's look like your only option......these guy's are great fun to keep, depending on what specie's you go for some like in my sig<channa ornatipinnis/sp assam's are in fact sub tropical so can do away with the heater :good:
 
Sorry, forgot about this thread - I posted one in along similar lines in the New World Cichlids forum. Sev's are out, and I'm a little creeped out by snakeheads - not to mention they're pretty expensive aren't they? Might be an option if I'm wrong on that count.

Other thread is here if interested, thanks to the folks on here I feel like I'm making some progress:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=280685
 
what about discus?? :unsure:

I don't have the time or money for discus. Buying adults is ridiculously expensive, and buying young means 50% water changes daily from what I've heard. Pity really, they're beautiful fish.
 
snakehead's are not that costly, iam selling them at 10pound's each for fry + 10pound's delivery and the selling like hotcake's because a mature feller would cost a fair price.....Most people buy 5 for 60pounds, plan to get a pair then sell rest on :good:

Other stuff go for a fair price for example a natural paired sp assam's for 30pound's i know also of other snakeheads that are going at a very good price, there brill fish i have a real soft spot for them now
 
Hmm, sounds interesting then. Is there only one type of snakehead, or several flavours - and would they get on okay with medium sized cichlids (like blue acara's, t.ellioti) etc?

If you've got any links so I can do some reading I'd appreciate it.
 
well sp assam's are good to house with other fish i had mine with whiteskirts / half banded eel / bristlenose plec and a male krib, but trying to breed them now so moved the other's......
pleuro and obscura can also be homed with other fish but they need to be bigger than bit size, at present mine are with the krib etc with no prob's but as they grow the krib will be moved out, there with a chocolate cichlid / tinfoil's and senegal birchir / plec / silver dollar.....

ornate's on the other hand are better as a specie's tank.....

there's lot's of flavour's as you so put it :lol: from huge to small........

aggressive to placid...... iam a member on here

http://snakeheadsukforum.freeforums.org/index.php
 
Which flavour is it you're selling fairly cheaply? Any tankmates would be far too big to eat, all 3-4 inches to start and growing up to 5-6 inches.
 
The one's iam selling at present are ornatipinnis and are around the inch mark, they would be lunch if you put them with anything, i can lay my hand's on

gachua calcutta x 6 would sell theese in any amounts
beleri x 1 pair
sp assam x 1 pair<<(((((((((((((((((((( provisionally sold to KNIESH From this forum 8-)
orientalis x 1 pair
1 sp five stripe damage on head ( would prefer to heal him first ,but would let go)
1 x straita
6 panaw must go as a group as very rare<<BEAutie's
1x thai maruliodes<grow large>>>>

other fish

lots of claris catfish
midas cichlid
pollini smallspot
wide bar dat



which can all be posted unless you happen to live near to stockton on tees :unsure:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top