🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Morning all

Hope all is well?!

I currently run an AquaOne Nautilus 2700 filter on my main tank but find cleaning and maintenance gets to much. I originally had it from the turtles so I know it’s really an over kill for the fish. I am thinking of changing tomaybe 2 internal filters or maybe a sponge and internal filter but not sure, any thoughts would be great?
Tank size 264L/78G

What fish will be in this tank?

I have livebearers, cories, pleco’s blue eyes and snails bryon

A single sponge filter for a 78g tank might not be enough. (Depending on the brand/size of the sponge)

But then again, we need to know what fish will be in the tank.

I would need to run at least 2 filters for the size. But I would rather this then the huge canister filter I am running now. It’s a brilliant filter just a pain to clean and maintain

AquaClear HOB (hang on back) style power filter. They are easy to clean, reliable, and can hold 3 sponges or 2 sponges and ceramic beads. You can also put around sponge from an internal power filter, on the intake strainer to add more filtration and reduce the gunk getting into the filter.

AquaClear HOB (hang on back) style power filter. They are easy to clean, reliable, and can hold 3 sponges or 2 sponges and ceramic beads. You can also put around sponge from an internal power filter, on the intake strainer to add more filtration and reduce the gunk getting into the filter.

I have a hood tho that’s my only problem

AquaClear powerhead with a quick filter attachment and a cylindrical sponge from a different brand of internal power filter. You can attach several quick filters together to increase filtration area/ media.

The quick filter normally comes with a crappy white foam but this should be left out. Replace the white foam with a round/ cylindrical sponge from a different brand of internal power filter.

Thank you Colin, will this be enough filteration for my size tank?

I slowly converting all of my tanks to sponge to be honest. They're so cheap and easy and you can make slight modifications to them with no trouble atall. I've been throwing some cycled rings inside them and running them alongside the original filter for a couple of weeks before removing the original one. I saw on Ebay that you can get a fair sized "double" sponge filter for £20. Maintenance takes all of 5 seconds too!

I slowly converting all of my tanks to sponge to be honest. They're so cheap and easy and you can make slight modifications to them with no trouble atall. I've been throwing some cycled rings inside them and running them alongside the original filter for a couple of weeks before removing the original one. I saw on Ebay that you can get a fair sized "double" sponge filter for £20. Maintenance takes all of 5 seconds too!
I have 2 sponge filters in my shrimp tank and they are so brilliant

I have 2 sponge filters in my shrimp tank and they are so brilliant
Definitely, I'll never bother with the better tech, expensive ones again if I can help it going forward I only plan to keep one type of fish along with shrimps and whatnot so sponge is the way!

Definitely, I'll never bother with the better tech, expensive ones again if I can help it going forward I only plan to keep one type of fish along with shrimps and whatnot so sponge is the way!
There was and emoji between "if I can help it" and "going forward" that hasn't came up lol. Excuse the poor grammar of that sentence!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back